Was Mike McCarthy holding Dak back to entertain his game plan?

Cydios

Reaction score
Does is seem like, post 49ers, they just threw away the original game plan and just let Dak play? Early on, it looks like the plan was to run, "dink and dunk," control the TOP and let Defense dictate the outcome. It just appears they seemed to unleash Dak and just said "to hell with it". Thoughts?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think we are back to the Kellen Moore offense.

Last week, I saw the team fake a screen one way, then throw the screen back another way. That was a KM staple play.
first of all it's the Dallas cowboys offense since jason garrett and before that been modified and changed over the years and its how its being called , when its being called, and other plays you run off of a lot of early plays that look the same but are not.. its never been Moores offense, its been a modified version that changed over the years from garret to moore to MM..he said only 30% of the offense changed.. its what part of the playbook each chose to use and how they were used in games.

the issue early on is they called the more conservative plays they hoped the Defense was going to be chairmanship low scoring type d and they were WRONG..defnse been downright disappointing in the 3 losses. they were not as advertised, and the play conservative protect the d obviously got put on hold..

add in where's the OL and run game?? you can't play small ball without a stingy d a run game and an OL that can be physical.

now they changed the gameplans to be more aggressive and let dak play more freely. they can adapt easily from series to series if needed but until this D holds the better teams under 19 umm not 42, 28 etc (best teams in football history were under 14, ravens 10.8 PPG in their run and Bears 86 team 13 ) so what are we going to now say rod Marinelli's defense is back because that's what it looks like?? No, its just not been good against better teams.

so everything mike McCarthy thought going into the season was going to happen did NOT and he's adapted. its obvious what he wanted to do wasnt working so they changed. not big secret the playbooks been the same just modified,.

its the GP and the in-game Play calls and adjustments that change from one coordinator to the next. at least MM was smart enough and had no ego and changes, MOORE would not have. Garett didnt either...

at least we have a coaching staff that is willing to adapt and change as the weeks go on...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think he was being careful to end the turnover discussion and because he was trying to run more.
Then he realized our OL wasn’t blocking well and the receivers weren’t getting any Yac from the short passes.
Right now, the only way we can score or win is on Dak’s arm; teams that have to rely only on that don’t do well in the playoffs.

Hopefully we will go far this year, but either way, I have no doubt that we will invest heavily in the run game this spring-OL and RB, along with another DT and a couple of LBs so we can do better vs teams that run.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Yes MM held back Dak on purpose just to be a big meanie. Dak cried for a bit but is now over it and wants fans to get over it too.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think he was being careful to end the turnover discussion and because he was trying to run more.
Then he realized our OL wasn’t blocking well and the receivers weren’t getting any Yac from the short passes.
Right now, the only way we can score or win is on Dak’s arm; teams that have to rely only on that don’t do well in the playoffs.

Hopefully we will go far this year, but either way, I have no doubt that we will invest heavily in the run game this spring-OL and RB, along with another DT and a couple of LBs so we can do better vs teams that run.
In recent years we've seen the Rams, Bucs and Chiefs (twice) all win the Super Bowl relying on the QB's arm, so so running game and good defense. It's just a matter of the QB being good enough and the defense being good enough. Right now we look like we have both those elements.. but obviously need to see it over the long haul and in the playoffs to be sure.

JayFord

Reaction score
no

hes game planning to attack the other teams weakness

it works and sometimes it doesnt

Mark

Reaction score
McCarthy made it clear early on that he wanted to focus on the run game. Unfortunately for him & his scheme, the personnel could not adequately accommodate that desire.

Am cautiously optimistic that administrative egos have now taken a back seat to getting a handle on how to best utilize the assets on hand.

Brax

Reaction score
Does is seem like, post 49ers, they just threw away the original game plan and just let Dak play? Early on, it looks like the plan was to run, "dink and dunk," control the TOP and let Defense dictate the outcome. It just appears they seemed to unleash Dak and just said "to hell with it". Thoughts?
The level of competition is the reason Dak is great against stub teams it’s a staple of his stats. Factor in beat up Defenses and PS and horrible QBs fielded by the dreg teams is a recipe for Dak success add in D score and Jerry is selling Kool aide again. Let’s wait until the season is over to access Daks body of work and MMs failures

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There was a lot of criticism with the offense early in the season. It was boring and uncreative. Our redzone offense was as bad as I’ve ever seen it. All we were doing was dinking and dunking underneath. Jerry was being asked questions about it during his radio interviews. Even he said they need to take a few more shots down the field. After the 49er debacle it’s obvious the team said enough is enough and started opening up the offense, which is added some explosiveness to it. A few weeks ago we were ranked 17th in total offense and now we’re number 5 overall.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The 49ers game was just like the last 49ers game. Just drop back and wait for guys to get open and no one ever did. The key to this offense is to move Dak. Dak needs to move around the pocket. Buy time. Throwing on the run is a asset of his. People talk about Dak does nothing great.....he's shown he's great against the blitz and great on the run.

So to be honest i'm not entirely sure if Mike was to blame for that. Mobility in the pocket seems to be more on the QB to me. In 2023, you just can't stand in that pocket and expect your receiver to win its matchups.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The level of competition is the reason Dak is great against stub teams it’s a staple of his stats. Factor in beat up Defenses and PS and horrible QBs fielded by the dreg teams is a recipe for Dak success add in D score and Jerry is selling Kool aide again. Let’s wait until the season is over to access Daks body of work and MMs failures
That's not going to change though. Level of competition will change yes but there's no defensive juggernauts left on the schedule. i j

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Think they realized the defense wasn't as good as they anticipated and needed to make the offense more explosive.

GINeric

Reaction score

Dak is 23-25 against teams with winning records. So according to you, all those teams were bad teams with winning records??

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t believe coach Mac had a plan. His bloviating about the run game was to justify dropping Moore. He’s reactionary and just tried to manage perception. If you don’t believe that, how’s the plan working out to fix the penalties issue? Mac got the job on a lie and I think he’s lied or deceived throughout. Dak’s play got coach more comfy, and now he’s letting him rip it. Hope it continues when competition stiffens.

I don’t think there is one thing special about this coach, and I damn sure know he doesn’t have some plan being executed.

817Gill

Reaction score
There was a lot of criticism with the offense early in the season. It was boring and uncreative. Our redzone offense was as bad as I’ve ever seen it. All we were doing was dinking and dunking underneath. Jerry was being asked questions about it during his radio interviews. Even he said they need to take a few more shots down the field. After the 49er debacle it’s obvious the team said enough is enough and started opening up the offense, which is added some explosiveness to it. A few weeks ago we were ranked 17th in total offense and now we’re number 5 overall.
This^