Was the number one problem on the D addressed?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't think the run D was addressed. But who knows? Some of these interior lineman may take a step forward. Our 5th round pick may be a diamond in the rough. I'll wait to see. But my expectations as of right now is that we get gashed in the run game all season long. I hope I'm wrong.

We didnt get gashed in the run game all year long. That was 2020.

visionary

Reaction score
I got even a better idea. How about we let them mature, gain experience and improve?

They were one of the best rushing units in the league this year, a lot of waking up needs to be done in the NFL, right?

Our rush defense is def our weakest defensive area, but to ignorantly sit up here and be oblivious like we haven’t been working on and addressing it the past couple of years is crazy to me!

we have done what we always do, throw a low round pick at the problem. It hadn’t worked in years but now it will?
:facepalm:

lqmac1

Reaction score
we have done what we always do, throw a low round pick at the problem. It hadn’t worked in years but now it will?
:facepalm:
2nd & 3rd rounds aren’t considered “low”.

Yeah I expect it to work now. We went from the 30th ranked defense to the 12th in one season. Obviously we’re trending in the right direction.

I’m sure it’ll only take a couple of lunges, but I got faith in you pulling your head out of your *** and actually using your visionary pov!

blueblood70

Reaction score
This was how I was going to grade this draft as it went, did they address the run D? Because they did, by method of elimination instead of choice, in last year's draft in round 1.

They picked a DE with the 2nd because of the Gregory loss and one that is far more pass rusher than run stopper, the owner's idea of a "war daddy".

I do not see where they took the pressure to score off the offense and they will have to meet last year's high number to have a winning record.

However, the success of this year's team isn't nearly as reliant on this draft class as the previous one. That, was the D draft and they need to step up this season.

The other question I had going in was will they get their D star some help and they might have done that on the pass rush with Williams but playing the run, not so much.

I think the run D is going to be overly dependent on Vander Esch. Who, btw, was the best run defender in that playoff game. Keeping him went a little under the radar but that might have been one of the best off season moves.

The Cowboys D is going to have to stop the run more and better this season than the last. And last year, they were mediocre and ranked 30th in giving up runs of 20+ yards.

I saw where McC was going "playoffs, playoffs, playoffs, remember the playoffs" during the draft, who was he talking to and were they listening? His D gave up 170 yards and control of the game.

Have to go D on addressing the run D with this draft class. However, 2021's class could bring the overall grade up, if they step up.
yes and no but for sure the 2021 guys will be a year better under Quinn , under Quinns defense another year and im betting along with Osi and healthy Gallimore from the start, BO 2nd year, cox back healthy , they added Ridgeway, hes huge NT with high motor could work out on 1st and 2nd downs..
last year the defense at time many games especially the 2nd half did take the pressure off the offense, could be improved this year i mean we won in MN with Rush at QB..the defense played exceptionally well.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I feel like our biggest weakness on defense was LB and we really did nothing this off-season to improve there.

lqmac1

Reaction score
I feel like our biggest weakness on defense was LB and we really did nothing this off-season to improve there.
I think they have really high expectations for Cox. He was the reason Smith got released. He’s coming back from injury this year. LVE is on a one-year deal which means he’ll ball out

RonWashington

Reaction score
Getting rid of Gregory improved the run defense. Adding Fowler and signing Armstrong improved the run defense. Ridgeway will improve the run defense even if he doesn't make a tackle.

Gregory was lost against the run vs SF . Agree 100 % percent with your assessment the change in personnel helps . And I expect Williams to improve week to week as a pass rusher .

morasp

Reaction score
Gregory was lost against the run vs SF . Agree 100 % percent with your assessment the change in personnel helps . And I expect Williams to improve week to week as a pass rusher .
I looked up his stats and tackles weren't one of his strengths. In 11 games started he had 19 combined tackles and 4 TFLs. In 6 games started Fowler had 36 combined tackles and 6 TFLs. In 5 games started Armstrong had 37 combined tackles and 3 TFLs. I've read that Williams isn't good against the run but he somehow had 15 TFLs. That's as many as Paschal who is considered a good run defender.

lqmac1

Reaction score
There is a fundamental flaw with our GM that kills us every year. He believes his own sales pitch and thinks if he drafts them or signs them, they are automatically really good.

What’s even worse- He believes going into every season the best of best case scenarios. The GMs winning SBs are the ones who have a critical eye of their own work and assume nothing will go as planned. In short, the best GMs don’t believe the sales pitch given to their fans each year. In Big D, our GM 100% believes his own sales pitch. Thus the last 26 seasons and counting.

Oh….And it doesn’t appear that this team addressed its lack of run stopping ability in this draft. Time will tell.
Imma let you finish, but we’ve been the best drafting team this past decade & it’s not even really close.

More pro bowlers and all pros than any other team. So maybe the facts you have to support your narrative against the GM aren’t that strong.

I almost forgot that all the good draft picks are because of Will McClay and the bad ones are because of Jerry Jones

I will say it for you so you don’t waste your time responding. Even though your post was about drafting, you’re going to respond with what have we won the last 10 years, bring up not having won a Super Bowl since the 90s blah blah blah….

We’re used to this song & dance

RonWashington

Reaction score
Between Schultz who showed up every week stretched the chains knew what the end zone looked like is one of Daks reliable weapons I’m glad he was kept over Gregory who flashed but week to week you didn’t know what to expect .

visionary

Reaction score
2nd & 3rd rounds aren’t considered “low”.

Yeah I expect it to work now. We went from the 30th ranked defense to the 12th in one season. Obviously we’re trending in the right direction.

I’m sure it’ll only take a couple of lunges, but I got faith in you pulling your head out of your *** and actually using your visionary pov!

when was the last time we took a 1T DT in rds 2/3

At least try to make sense

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The number one problem on the D is not having a big nasty DT who can clog up the middle, help push the pocket, stuff the run and free up players to the QB. We need a player who will add some physicality up front.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think dt john ridgeway will help in our run defense.
I am a Hog and he didn't help with theirs but they were over the top on pass D and played that umbrella that many teams adopted against high octane pass teams. He is a large individual.

lqmac1

Reaction score
when was the last time we took a 1T DT in rds 2/3

At least try to make sense
If one that Dan Quinn wanted, it would’ve happened. Also, there’s not that many good ones in the league. Probably one of the hardest positions to fill

kskboys

Reaction score
I got even a better idea. How about we let them mature, gain experience and improve?

They were one of the best rushing units in the league this year, a lot of waking up needs to be done in the NFL, right?

Our rush defense is def our weakest defensive area, but to ignorantly sit up here and be oblivious like we haven’t been working on and addressing it the past couple of years is crazy to me!
It's the opposite. To think that we have is crazy. And to think we even understand how is even crazier.

I like the Ridgeway pick, but he has leverage issues. Which is to be expected from tall DT. Not sure if he helps in the run stopping dept.

kskboys

Reaction score
Young DT's are all getting better. SF ran on everyone.

I would have taken Jones over Williams in the 2nd round but there is no doubting Williams pass rush abilities.
They did? Oh, so that's why they had 20 rushes for 50 yds in the super bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lqmac1

Reaction score
It's the opposite. To think that we have is crazy. And to think we even understand how is even crazier.

I like the Ridgeway pick, but he has leverage issues. Which is to be expected from tall DT. Not sure if he helps in the run stopping dept.
Dude just give it some time. We saw flashes from Osa and Gallimore. Let these cats develop and gain experience.

This message board always finds something to ***** and be negative about.

Holy hell y’all are some miserable people!!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Imma let you finish, but we’ve been the best drafting team this past decade & it’s not even really close.

More pro bowlers and all pros than any other team. So maybe the facts you have to support your narrative against the GM aren’t that strong.

I almost forgot that all the good draft picks are because of Will McClay and the bad ones are because of Jerry Jones

I will say it for you so you don’t waste your time responding. Even though your post was about drafting, you’re going to respond with what have we won the last 10 years, bring up not having won a Super Bowl since the 90s blah blah blah….

We’re used to this song & dance
I've never read a rude post from the man you just replied to that way. Just saying.

kskboys

Reaction score
If one that Dan Quinn wanted, it would’ve happened. Also, there’s not that many good ones in the league. Probably one of the hardest positions to fill
Especially if you don't try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!