Was the number one problem on the D addressed?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The number one problem on the D is not having a big nasty DT who can clog up the middle, help push the pocket, stuff the run and free up players to the QB. We need a player who will add some physicality up front.
Supposedly, that's something Ridgeway will help with, but I don't watch college ball, so I'm just going by what I've read so far.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dude just give it some time. We saw flashes from Osa and Gallimore. Let these cats develop and gain experience.

This message board always finds something to ***** and be negative about.

Holy hell y’all are some miserable people!!!
What's up w/ the personal talk? Maybe you should focus on football.

Osa and Galley are 3 techs. You might know that if you spent more time on football thoughts instead of going out of your way to throw childish insults at people.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
i think they have a good enough rotation and pieces to do well at run stopping on 1st and 2nd downs.

3rd and 4th down, and in hurry up offenses we will have to wait and see

lqmac1

Reaction score
I've never read a rude post from the man you just replied to that way. Just saying.
You thought my response was rude lol?

I don’t live under the current narrative where I get crazy sensitive because someone disagrees with what I say.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing to consider with Quinn, he did not have a good run D in ATL and had 6 pbers on his D in SEA with the best MLB in the game.

He can do just so much and is still limited by the talent level of his players. Teams with good run D's build them for that purpose.

It would not surprise me for PHL to have the best run D and O this season. Will that get it done? Dunno but there is nothing wrong with a NFL team with a strong run D.

TB had one of the best run D's to start the season last year and that completely changed Moore's game plan and calling.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's the opposite. To think that we have is crazy. And to think we even understand how is even crazier.

I like the Ridgeway pick, but he has leverage issues. Which is to be expected from tall DT. Not sure if he helps in the run stopping dept.
I've been waiting to see what you think of the pick. And this is pretty much what I expected, though I was hoping you'd feel better about him. I know you like the bowling ball type, but as long a he gets double teamed, he's already helping.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude just give it some time. We saw flashes from Osa and Gallimore. Let these cats develop and gain experience.

This message board always finds something to ***** and be negative about.

Holy hell y’all are some miserable people!!!
But we are a happy bunch and filled with joy to be collectively miserable.

Verdict

Reaction score
There is a fundamental flaw with our GM that kills us every year. He believes his own sales pitch and thinks if he drafts them or signs them, they are automatically really good.

What’s even worse- He believes going into every season the best of best case scenarios. The GMs winning SBs are the ones who have a critical eye of their own work and assume nothing will go as planned. In short, the best GMs don’t believe the sales pitch given to their fans each year. In Big D, our GM 100% believes his own sales pitch. Thus the last 26 seasons and counting.

Oh….And it doesn’t appear that this team addressed its lack of run stopping ability in this draft. Time will tell.
I think many of you are far to hard on Jerry. He’s far from perfect, and if you took all of the the ums and lip smacks out of his press conferences it would only last 1/4 as long.

But having said that his biggest down fall has been believing the snake oil salesmen DCs he has hired to help fill out the roster. Taco and Hill were both Marinelli picks. He seemed to have no eye for talent and the game had passed him by. He refused to get trashcan full of dirt players.

Enter Quinn and he immediately goes and gets Urban who was cheap but underrated. He added Bohanna last year. And now he has added the Razorback trash an full of dirt. He make not get it fixed this year but you can tell he is trying and the off season is not yet over.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You thought my response was rude lol?

I don’t live under the current narrative where I get crazy sensitive because someone disagrees with what I say.
The "blah, blah, blah..." part seemed a tad disrespectful. Not saying you're a POS, just that I don't think his post warranted that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Supposedly, that's something Ridgeway will help with, but I don't watch college ball, so I'm just going by what I've read so far.
I am familiar with him and he wouldn't have been there at that spot if he was the answer for any team.

Really good run stopping DT's are not plentiful which is why they usually go on the 1st day.

Verdict

Reaction score
We addressed our main problem just like we always do, refusing to recognize it and throwing a late round pick at it to appease the masses.

hopefully Ridgeway can make a difference but expecting a 5th round rookie to do that is unlikely.
I don’t know why people “think” that a 5th round pick can’t become a serious contributor. Where would you expect to draft a guy who can’t really rush the passer, but can stop the run? Somewhere after the 3rd or 4th rounds is what I would expect. You should also be able to find them fairly cheap in free agency.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am familiar with him and he wouldn't have been there at that spot if he was the answer for any team.

Really good run stopping DT's are not plentiful which is why they usually go on the 1st day.
If you substitute pass rushing for run stopping you are on to something there.

lqmac1

Reaction score
What's up w/ the personal talk? Maybe you should focus on football.

Osa and Galley are 3 techs. You might know that if you spent more time on football thoughts instead of going out of your way to throw childish insults at people.
I know you are but what am I?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t know why people “think” that a 5th round pick can’t become a serious contributor. Where would you expect to draft a guy who can’t really rush the passer, but can stop the run? Somewhere after the 3rd or 4th rounds is what I would expect. You should also be able to find them fairly cheap in free agency.
They can arguably become contributors. How serious is more of the argument. In most cases more of role players in rotation.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've been waiting to see what you think of the pick. And this is pretty much what I expected, though I was hoping you'd feel better about him. I know you like the bowling ball type, but as long a he gets double teamed, he's already helping.
I like the pick. Only question is, can he get low?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like the pick. Only question is, can he get low?
My first thought was that he's the best they've picked to address the position since I've known you, but is he good enough? Hopefully!