Washington Commanders to franchise tag Kirk Cousins

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Today is a very good day for Kirk Cousins.
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Washington Commanders are set to use their non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins, according to a source with knowledge of the team's thinking. The designation acts as a one-year, $19.95 million contract for the quarterback, who picked a wonderful time to enjoy a breakout season in 2015.
Rapoport had reported last week that the Commanders had considered using the transition tag on Cousins, which would have potentially lowered his annual value but also left the team open to another team making an aggressive play on the passer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gton-Commanders-to-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
I would've preferred the transition tag, but this is fine. Pay him like the player he thinks he is for one season. If he proves 2015 wasn't a fluke, then I fully expect McCloughan to sign him to a long-term deal before the 2016 season ends. I truly enjoy having a real football mind in charge.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would've preferred the transition tag, but this is fine. Pay him like the player he thinks he is for one season. If he proves 2015 wasn't a fluke, then I fully expect McCloughan to sign him to a long-term deal before the 2016 season ends. I truly enjoy having a real football mind in charge.

It proves how valuable of a commodity a starting quarterback truly is. If you even think you have one, you can't let them get away. Now I hope we can pilfer your former backup (McCoy) away!

Stryker44

Reaction score

We needed a reasonable deal not the tag. 5 mill per year for 7 years. MAX

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Loyalty. Honor. Sacrifice.

Demand it in your organization and people will follow.

no, you missed a train that left the station a long time ago. at 7 mil per, he's be the lowest paid starting QB not on a rookie deal, if u think Cousins is in that range, then you don't even bother to sign him for that.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
It proves how valuable of a commodity a starting quarterback truly is. If you even think you have one, you can't let them get away. Now I hope we can pilfer your former backup (McCoy) away!

Haha, I think we'll keep him too. Colt still thinks he can be a starter in this league. And like last offseason, the team will allow him to try and become that, and like last offseason, he'll settle for being our backup again. The slight difference was Colt thought he had an outside chance of being the starter when he signed on for another year. It is possible he'd do that again somewhere else where the starter isn't so entrenched. Like maybe San Fran.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haha, I think we'll keep him too. Colt still thinks he can be a starter in this league. And like last offseason, the team will allow him to try and become that, and like last offseason, he'll settle for being our backup again. The slight difference was Colt thought he had an outside chance of being the starter when he signed on for another year. It is possible he'd do that again somewhere else where the starter isn't so entrenched. Like maybe San Fran.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on him. I think Gruden has done a really nice job with him and he looks like a late bloomer who has developed into a good backup. I'd love to have him return to Texas.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on him. I think Gruden has done a really nice job with him and he looks like a late bloomer who has developed into a good backup. I'd love to have him return to Texas.

Well considering he played at Univ of Texas, and Romo's injury history and Kirk's durability. He may think playing in Dallas gives him a better chance to see the field. But he could also potentially go to San Fran or the Rams and compete to be starter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well considering he played at Univ of Texas, and Romo's injury history and Kirk's durability. He may think playing in Dallas gives him a better chance to see the field. But he could also potentially go to San Fran or the Rams and compete to be starter.

I don't see San Francisco as an option to see the field like you do. I don't think they can or will trade Kaepernick, and Gabbert had a good enough season last year to be in the mix too. As for the Rams? I can actually see your other quarterback ending up there.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Loyalty. Honor. Sacrifice.

Demand it in your organization and people will follow.

You can ask them for that if you arent going to lowball them in a comical level. Loyalty, honor and sacrifice is a two way street

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
I don't see San Francisco as an option to see the field like you do. I don't think they can or will trade Kaepernick, and Gabbert had a good enough season last year to be in the mix too. As for the Rams? I can actually see your other quarterback ending up there.

With the Niners I'm assuming they go into TC with an open competition, Kaep's contract be damned. In that scenario, I can see Colt outplaying Kaep and Gabbert. But I agree it wouldn't be as intriguing as the Rams. I'd much rather he stayed in DC though. Having a backup who can be competent behind center is rare in this league.