Watch out for the “One flavor” opinion forum

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We like our Vanilla offense.. Oh wait it’s gone....:eek::D

We like our guys. To be determined if they stay..

We like our bend but don’t break defense.. Also gone....:starspin:

To be continued

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree.

I've seen some of the strangest responses just in the last few days. When presented w/ a cogent argument, the typical response has become the "Nuh uh" variety. Boooooorrriiiinnngggggg.

I think it's the media. They are promoting an extremely polarized world, not to mention promoting strange ideas. Too many sports shows means they have to come up w/ new ideas constantly, or new ways to present ideas. So, weird ideas are being presented, often as truth.

And then watch the sports shows. Instead of discussion and dissecting ideas, we're getting yelling and shouting matches w/ no one even considering the validity of contrasting ideas.

Twitter and such does not help at all. Everyone just presents their idea, w/ no discussion, no room for thought. Very strange world we're entering into.
So true. Sports media nowadays is centered on throwing a hand grenade in the room with an outrageous “rumor” that’s not even in the same zip code with the truth. It’s the Skip Bayless school of “journalism”. Doesn’t matter if it’s true as long as you get viewers.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bullet, please find another analogy instead of ice cream. There is no such thing as bad ice cream. Even that Blue Bell Listeria tasted pretty good going down.
Ok...How about tequilas? Oops there is no such thing as bad tequila. Or is there?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
So you don't like vanilla ice cream? HATER!
:laugh:

You like Vanilla Ice? o_O

giphy.gif

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Obviously, the regular season and playoffs have to be the best part of any football season. On an opinion forum about my favorite sports team, I usually have lots of fun seeing differing opinions about the Cowboys, especially during the long offseason without actual games. Some opinions I agree with, some I don’t, but almost always interesting either way.

Some fans like to focus on all the positive possibilities of the future, some like to discuss the pain and frustration of the past, some like to drill down on the details of the Xs and Os, who we should draft, while others like to propose unlikely trades or free agent moves, etc. I’m cool with any and all of these opinion angles.

In fact, I’ve always liked having multiple choices in ice cream flavors.

But for whatever reason, this offseason I’ve seen way less tolerance for differing opinions than I’ve ever seen around this forum. It’s as if only one way of looking at our favorite team is acceptable. That’s not an opinion forum, it’s a country club.

The day only one way of looking at this team is tolerated is the day this place gets boring.

So if you see an opinion you don’t like, remember:
  • Offer a different opinion without demanding that yours be the only “acceptable” one.
  • Disagreement is the coin of the realm around here. It’s what makes this forum interesting.
  • Telling a fellow fan we disagree with to, “Go pick another team to follow” is like saying “we only serve vanilla ice cream here” to a loyal customer who may also like chocolate or butter pecan. It’s disrespectful to the extreme.
  • Being a Cowboys fan is always worthy of respect.
I’ve been guilty of intolerance at times too. So I’m preaching to myself as well. I’m glad we have a forum that allows lots of opinions. The more flavors the better. Let’s keep it that way. The day we all have to think alike around here is the day this place loses its value.
I agree.

Mostly I like how you punctuate and bullet your points so I can skip down to what you really want to address.

Its refreshing.

I use bolding, underlining and color high lighting the same way. We both do long posts so doing things differently is definitely a courtesy for some here.

And I like rum raisin and rocky road myself. Mixed together. It's a win win for me. Simulated alcohol and chocolate dependence in one bite.

That defines my fandom in a nutshell.

:lmao2:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The problem I have noticed is that we get feud spillover into different threads. Some posters will immediately go on the attack based on the poster, not the post. I've seen this first hand from a few that don't like me. But that's not a problem, I have plenty of discussions and agreements to disagree and still retain respect for that poster and their opinions.

With some, it's like the movie "The Duellists" where they take their fight everywhere and actually seek each other out to continue the duel.

The other issue has been letting one opinion on one topic define a poster in someone's mind and they make assumptions about that person. They also flash on the opinion because it opposes theirs and they don't stop to actually read what that poster wrote.

I try to keep one thing in mind and I get testy just like we all do. That's a human being on that device, how would I speak to them in person. I have a hard time seeing some of the things written here actually said to someone's face but frustrations are high and some people need to take it out on someone and can't do that in person with others.

All in all, I think we do a pretty good job of keeping it in check and many times I've seen posters apologize because they really didn't see the effect of what they wrote until they had the chance to read it.

I do wish other posters would take the "No Hate" pledge that I took, I found myself using that word too much and it is a horrible word. Someone can not be a fan of Prescott as the QB but that doesn't make them a "hater". That gets thrown around way too much.
Some are haters because all they do every thread, every post, every day is come here and hate on something. Some of them are posting in this thread trying to come off like saints.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Obviously, the regular season and playoffs have to be the best part of any football season. On an opinion forum about my favorite sports team, I usually have lots of fun seeing differing opinions about the Cowboys, especially during the long offseason without actual games. Some opinions I agree with, some I don’t, but almost always interesting either way.

Some fans like to focus on all the positive possibilities of the future, some like to discuss the pain and frustration of the past, some like to drill down on the details of the Xs and Os, who we should draft, while others like to propose unlikely trades or free agent moves, etc. I’m cool with any and all of these opinion angles.

In fact, I’ve always liked having multiple choices in ice cream flavors.

But for whatever reason, this offseason I’ve seen way less tolerance for differing opinions than I’ve ever seen around this forum. It’s as if only one way of looking at our favorite team is acceptable. That’s not an opinion forum, it’s a country club.

The day only one way of looking at this team is tolerated is the day this place gets boring.

So if you see an opinion you don’t like, remember:
  • Offer a different opinion without demanding that yours be the only “acceptable” one.
  • Disagreement is the coin of the realm around here. It’s what makes this forum interesting.
  • Telling a fellow fan we disagree with to, “Go pick another team to follow” is like saying “we only serve vanilla ice cream here” to a loyal customer who may also like chocolate or butter pecan. It’s disrespectful to the extreme.
  • Being a Cowboys fan is always worthy of respect.
I’ve been guilty of intolerance at times too. So I’m preaching to myself as well. I’m glad we have a forum that allows lots of opinions. The more flavors the better. Let’s keep it that way. The day we all have to think alike around here is the day this place loses its value.
I ay if over 12monthsa particular members opinions is 80% or more ANTI Cowboy, you will see them get the go root for another team.. If they are almost all ANTI COWBOY hate every thing from old coaches to new old players to new wants all the backups to play because the coaches are stupid and they know more then an entire Professional Staff..yes those..i say go root for someone else..

its doesnt have to be all rainbows and unicorns ie positive and all love for the boys but at some point when you sound like a Eagles , skins, or Giants fan , yes I will say burn your jersey and go root for the chiefs they are the new barometer with new bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork..:)) was the Pats, rams, and now some SF , we shoud be them rhetoricm, how about go root for them if you drool over them..:)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree.

Mostly I like how you punctuate and bullet your points so I can skip down to what you really want to address.

Its refreshing.

I use bolding, underlining and color high lighting the same way. We both do long posts so doing things differently is definitely a courtesy for some here.

And I like rum raisin and rocky road myself. Mixed together. It's a win win for me. Simulated alcohol and chocolate dependence in one bite.

:lmao2:
  • Thank you
  • Very
  • Much

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So true. Sports media nowadays is centered on throwing a hand grenade in the room with an outrageous “rumor” that’s not even in the same zip code with the truth. It’s the Skip Bayless school of “journalism”. Doesn’t matter if it’s true as long as you get viewers.
Many of the views they put forth are scripted.

I think that was Faulk's old role when he was on NFLN. He was the guy to trash the Cowboys and Romo every chance he got. He even played that "just wait" card after a really good game by Romo.

I really don't get people watching Stephen A Smith, or Bayliss and Sharpe or the majority of those shows. It is apparent to anyone what they are.

Back in the day, it was Joe Pine that started this. They discovered what infuriating an audience could do. It's all about getting the ad dollars.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ay if over 12monthsa particular members opinions is 80% or more ANTI Cowboy, you will see them get the go root for another team.. If they are almost all ANTI COWBOY hate every thing from old coaches to new old players to new wants all the backups to play because the coaches are stupid and they know more then an entire Professional Staff..yes those..i say go root for someone else..

its doesnt have to be all rainbows and unicorns ie positive and all love for the boys but at some point when you sound like a Eagles , skins, or Giants fan , yes I will say burn your jersey and go root for the chiefs they are the new barometer with new bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork..:)) was the Pats, rams, and now some SF , we shoud be them rhetoricm, how about go root for them if you drool over them..:)
It’s all in the eye of the beholder, it’s different tastes, different strokes, yada, yada.

I don’t agree with your assessment of what makes “hate” but I’m sure you will allow me that disagreement. Right?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some are haters because all they do every thread, every post, every day is come here and hate on something. Some of them are posting in this thread trying to come off like saints.
Rocky, could that be more your perception based on your own feelings rather than what's really their intent? Just because someone is negative about a subject doesn't make them that way as a person.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Many of the views they put forth are scripted.

I think that was Faulk's old role when he was on NFLN. He was the guy to trash the Cowboys and Romo every chance he got. He even played that "just wait" card after a really good game by Romo.

I really don't get people watching Stephen A Smith, or Bayliss and Sharpe or the majority of those shows. It is apparent to anyone what they are.

Back in the day, it was Joe Pine that started this. They discovered what infuriating an audience could do. It's all about getting the ad dollars.
Absolutely.

It's all about clicks and ratings. Bad responses rate just as well as positive responses.

The advertisers run the sites. The purchasing public run the advertisers.

It works here, on your TV and your laptop. I use 'pay for click' to run Google ads for my estate sale companies. It's amazing how it works but it does.

And what is really amazing is I can watch Stephen A Smith and know in advance I will not agree with him..

but what I am looking for is more info on a topic. Not for concurrence.

Weird huh?