Watching 2016 Playoff Game VS GB

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Early in that game, announcer states Dez just caught his first playoff TD.
Late in 3rd, he states Witten just caught his first playoff TD.

I found that shocking after the years they both put in with Tony Romo.
Dak doesn't make players better though, also Beasley had his best career as a cowboy that same season

quickccc

Reaction score

For all his HOF like route running and knack for pass game, you would think Cowboy coaches would have
better utilize Witten's receiving skills in the red zone in his career, a far cry from what the teams for
Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates did for those two HOF'ers. Either Witten was limited to run-blocking
or he was ignored out of the game plan for red zone play.
i never got that. A sure pity :huh:

quickccc

Reaction score
2014 was on earlier today around 4PM ET.

Not sure why NFLN is insistent on making me re-live some of the worst games of my life today.

The 1981 Niners Cowboys - The Catch " will always rank as the No.1 heart-breaking playoff loss of all time
on my time.(and i was just a young kid too)
One game away from the Super Bowl in an NFC title. i was so sure we would have won vs Cincy in that SB.

That's why the 90's dynasty cowboys that won 3 SBs was a very special, rare era.
and made the difference in knocking the Niners outta the NFC title game en route to SB wins.
:cool:

quickccc

Reaction score
Anytime we are in the playoffs - it has always been about the Defense. whether we advance to the level.
or if we fail and get knocked outta playoffs (see 2014, 2016 losses to GB, and horrid run defense loss vs Rams in 2018)

For all this hype and hurrah of the offense per Dak, McCarthy, Lamb, Cooper, Gallup, Zeke, Pollard, and Jarwin, ...it is going to come down to the state and performance of the defense.

We have never had enough defense to propel us to advance - it's always been the issue that eventually sends us home again, ..or the reason why we cannot even make the playoffs.

and how many defensive coordinators and coaches are we gonna have to go through Wade Phillips, Rob Ryan Kiffin, Marinelli, Eberflus, Richard, etc., etc. ?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Is it really important who catches a TD, as long as it's a TD?

Room's playoff TD passes were (in order): Crayton, Owens, Phillips, Austin, Williams, Williams and Clutts. In fact, these often were because primary targets like Dez and Witten were being heavily covered. Are they worth fewer points or something?

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
romo shouldve started. no way he loses to green bay 4th and 5th stringer dbs. after the game, green bay coaches were like *** why didnt u start too romo

**** garrett. only reason he did that was because he know his leash was bigger with a rook than with romo. **** that guy

Flamma

Reaction score
The 1981 Niners Cowboys - The Catch " will always rank as the No.1 heart-breaking playoff loss of all time
on my time.(and i was just a young kid too)
One game away from the Super Bowl in an NFC title. i was so sure we would have won vs Cincy in that SB.

That's why the 90's dynasty cowboys that won 3 SBs was a very special, rare era.
and made the difference in knocking the Niners outta the NFC title game en route to SB wins.
:cool:

Mine as well for a non Super Bowl loss. What aggravated me most about that loss is we had the win. Had that dopey WR Doug Donley (who I never heard of) not dropped that 3rd down pass late in the game at the 49ers 40 yard line, game was over barring a turnover. The Cowboys have a history of dropped passes at the worst of times.

quickccc

Reaction score
Mine as well for a non Super Bowl loss. What aggravated me most about that loss is we had the win. Had that dopey WR Doug Donley (who I never heard of) not dropped that 3rd down pass late in the game at the 49ers 40 yard line, game was over barring a turnover. The Cowboys have a history of dropped passes at the worst of times.

really ? i'd have to re-watch the game on YouTube again, i don't remember a Doug Donley drop.

i recall Bill Walsh totally out coaching the man with the Hat. when Landry had his base defense in, walsh would pass, ..when Landry put his 7-0 nickel defense in, Walsh would call up run plays.
Landry could have adjust to Walsh.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not that surprising when you consider Dez only played in 3 playoff games...TOTAL in his career! 2014 was the first season a Cowboys team with Dez on it even made the playoffs, Shows you how inept this organization was for so long.

A little more surprising is Witten. He played in 8 total playoff games in Dallas spread across his long career, winning only 2 of those games.

Contrast these guys with the former Cowboys great WR Drew Pearson. He played in 22 playoff games as a Cowboy in his 10 year career. He caught 8 TDs in those games. Btw, the Cowboys won 13 of those 22 playoff games. Unbelievable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
romo shouldve started. no way he loses to green bay 4th and 5th stringer dbs. after the game, green bay coaches were like *** why didnt u start too romo

**** garrett. only reason he did that was because he know his leash was bigger with a rook than with romo. **** that guy
If Romo started the GB playoff game, he probably gets injured in the first quarter. People forget how fragile he was the last two years he played. His back was terrible.

plasticman

Reaction score
Garrett pissed away some good talent.
Just a subset of the Jerry Jones legacy.

That 90's team should have lasted at least a decade, but fizzled due to really poor management. How this team could win a Super Bowl and go 6-10 two seasons later is a tribute to incompetence. After 5 seasons of just riding the talent while contributing nothing, Switzer was finally fired.

Wade Phillips was given a Super Bowl ready team by Parcells but Jones's interference turned great opportunities into historic disappointments.

Currently, after enduring cap hell for many seasons, the scouting department did a marvelous job of supplying real talent only to be destroyed by a very questionable decisions by both coaches and management.

Jerry Jones remains the one element common to all failures over the past 25 seasons.