Watching 2016 Playoff Game VS GB

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
romo shouldve started. no way he loses to green bay 4th and 5th stringer dbs. after the game, green bay coaches were like *** why didnt u start too romo

**** garrett. only reason he did that was because he know his leash was bigger with a rook than with romo. **** that guy
Romo never threw for more than 2 TDs in a playoff game (6 chances), yet Dak as a rookie and in his first playoff game as a pro player threw for 3 TDs (had a couple potential more taken away due to crooked officials and their horrible calls) while bringing the team back from being down 3 scores (18 points) halfway through the 2nd quarter (with no defensive help whatsoever) to tie the game at 31 all with 34 seconds left in the game. Yet, Romo with his bad back/feeble body and who had not played all season could have suddenly led the team to a win against a hot Aaron Rodgers and a Super Bowl experienced Packers playoff team?

Yeah, right...

Flamma

Reaction score
really ? i'd have to re-watch the game on YouTube again, i don't remember a Doug Donley drop.

i recall Bill Walsh totally out coaching the man with the Hat. when Landry had his base defense in, walsh would pass, ..when Landry put his 7-0 nickel defense in, Walsh would call up run plays.
Landry could have adjust to Walsh.

Montana threw a pick down the right sideline. I forget who picked it off. Dallas drove to around mid field with around 5 minutes left and had a 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 7, I forget. There was around 5 minutes left when Donley dropped that pass around the 49ers 40 yard line. It wasn't a Jackie Smith type drop. But it was in his hands.

I could be off a bit and may have to check it myself. I just remember the game would have been pretty much in had had he caught that.

LOL I just went to the game on you tube, clicked somewhere near the end of the game and by luck got to the start of the exact play. It's at 1.59:30 ….Wasn't the best throw, and he had to reach up for it. But it hit both hands.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Romo never threw for more than 2 TDs in a playoff game (6 chances), yet Dak as a rookie and in his first playoff game as a pro player threw for 3 TDs (had a couple potential more taken away due to crooked officials and their horrible calls) while bringing the team back from being down 3 scores (18 points) halfway through the 2nd quarter (with no defensive help whatsoever) to tie the game at 31 all with 34 seconds left in the game. Yet, Romo with his bad back/feeble body and who had not played all season could have suddenly led the team to a win against a hot Aaron Rodgers and a Super Bowl experienced Packers playoff team?

Yeah, right...
Stop with the facts, that's not allowed when talking about Dak

MikeB80

Reaction score

Yeah, right...

Had Romo been able to play against the packers defense he would have lit up the scoreboard. They had two practice squad players playing in their secondary. It took Dallas a full quarter to realize that they could just throw it on every down because Green Bay had no ability to cover anyone. No way Romo sits back and doesn't attack that weakness. Atlanta destroyed them a week later for this very reason, they could not cover anyone and that defense was terrible.

Dak threw a redzone interception late in the third quarter and they lost the game because he had a slant batted down. Dez was wide open and might have scored if Dak gets the ball to him.

The defense played pretty good from the start of the second quarter on and made some huge plays in the fourth quarter. 5 years later and I still do not know how Rodgers didn't fumble on that sack.

Romo would have been fine health wise and lit up the scoreboard. The packers staff telling Romo "You deserved better" as he walked off the field of his final game having been wronged is a real low point in this era for me.

I also remember vividly this message board and all of social media saying Dak was the anti Romo and he would take Dallas to the super bowl because he didnt change plays, didnt run the play clock down and didn't turn the ball over. Then in the game he looked confused in the first quarter, threw a critical red zone interception in the third quarter, had substitution problems in the huddle that resulted in a penalty and came up short on the final drive which could have won the game and Dallas kicked a field goal to tie and then lost. Then after the game the two weeks of Dak is the Anti Romo mysteriously turned into Garrett sucks.

5 seasons later all the Dak people are using the same arguments they shot down about Romo to prop up Dak....so much for the Anti Romo.....also he is preparing to hold out for a contract which is fine by me but again punches a hole in the he is the anti romo stuff.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Had Romo been able to play against the packers defense he would have lit up the scoreboard. They had two practice squad players playing in their secondary. It took Dallas a full quarter to realize that they could just throw it on every down because Green Bay had no ability to cover anyone. No way Romo sits back and doesn't attack that weakness. Atlanta destroyed them a week later for this very reason, they could not cover anyone and that defense was terrible.

Dak threw a redzone interception late in the third quarter and they lost the game because he had a slant batted down. Dez was wide open and might have scored if Dak gets the ball to him.

The defense played pretty good from the start of the second quarter on and made some huge plays in the fourth quarter. 5 years later and I still do not know how Rodgers didn't fumble on that sack.

Romo would have been fine health wise and lit up the scoreboard. The packers staff telling Romo "You deserved better" as he walked off the field of his final game having been wronged is a real low point in this era for me.

I also remember vividly this message board and all of social media saying Dak was the anti Romo and he would take Dallas to the super bowl because he didnt change plays, didnt run the play clock down and didn't turn the ball over. Then in the game he looked confused in the first quarter, threw a critical red zone interception in the third quarter, had substitution problems in the huddle that resulted in a penalty and came up short on the final drive which could have won the game and Dallas kicked a field goal to tie and then lost. Then after the game the two weeks of Dak is the Anti Romo mysteriously turned into Garrett sucks.

5 seasons later all the Dak people are using the same arguments they shot down about Romo to prop up Dak....so much for the Anti Romo.....also he is preparing to hold out for a contract which is fine by me but again punches a hole in the he is the anti romo stuff.
Keep lying if it fills your achey-breaky heart. Every Cowboys fan knows the truth.

Go to bed. You're embarrassing yourself.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

He did not play and thus no one knows what the outcome would have been. I love it people use hypotheticals and it always turns out the way they want it, amazing isn't it? lol. Romo may have played great, maybe not, fact is Romo has ample failures in post season so lets not act as if he was a great post season QB the records says otherwise. Hell we don't know if he would have played 4 qrts because of his back issues. We can play this pretend game all day

EGTuna

Reaction score
Garrett pissed away some good talent.

Boy did he: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

Key quote from the analysis:

"If you look at the top teams on this list, you see a lot of well-run organizations with a lot of stability: Seattle, Green Bay, Dallas, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Baltimore, Kansas City, New England. It seems like Dallas has done a great job of drafting, but they haven't really had the success these other teams had. Maybe their coaching wasn't that good?"

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Anytime we are in the playoffs - it has always been about the Defense. whether we advance to the level.
or if we fail and get knocked outta playoffs (see 2014, 2016 losses to GB, and horrid run defense loss vs Rams in 2018)

For all this hype and hurrah of the offense per Dak, McCarthy, Lamb, Cooper, Gallup, Zeke, Pollard, and Jarwin, ...it is going to come down to the state and performance of the defense.

We have never had enough defense to propel us to advance - it's always been the issue that eventually sends us home again, ..or the reason why we cannot even make the playoffs.

and how many defensive coordinators and coaches are we gonna have to go through Wade Phillips, Rob Ryan Kiffin, Marinelli, Eberflus, Richard, etc., etc. ?
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a subset of the Jerry Jones legacy.

That 90's team should have lasted at least a decade, but fizzled due to really poor management. How this team could win a Super Bowl and go 6-10 two seasons later is a tribute to incompetence. After 5 seasons of just riding the talent while contributing nothing, Switzer was finally fired.

Wade Phillips was given a Super Bowl ready team by Parcells but Jones's interference turned great opportunities into historic disappointments.

Currently, after enduring cap hell for many seasons, the scouting department did a marvelous job of supplying real talent only to be destroyed by a very questionable decisions by both coaches and management.

Jerry Jones remains the one element common to all failures over the past 25 seasons.
Somehow, Garrett is the more popular scapegoat for failure. He certainly deserves his share but as you truthfully point out, the biggest reason the last qtr century has not been great for playoff wins sits in the owners box, and currently on a giant yacht.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Somehow, Garrett is the more popular scapegoat for failure. He certainly deserves his share but as you truthfully point out, the biggest reason the last qtr century has not been great for playoff wins sits in the owners box, and currently on a giant yacht.

I think some of that is true but I also think over the last few seasons the talent has been there to win. I'm not alone in this, it seems to be the view of many who cover the NFL. However getting the parts to the puzzle is only part of the solution having someone who can take the pieces and put it all together is another matter. I never had the same hatred for Garrett as others did. I backed him because I knew his success or failure would be the teams success or failure. We continued to see this team take 1 step forward only to take 2 steps back the next season, Cowboys were never able to put back to back seasons together and yes I think most of that falls to the coaching staff. I do think some of that 25 plus years does fall to Jerry as many of the drafts under Larry Lacewell bombed but I would say dating back to Ireland up to McClay this organization did a much better job of putting talent on the field for the most part. My view clearly I think McClay has done a good job since taking over personnel

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some of that is true but I also think over the last few seasons the talent has been there to win. I'm not alone in this, it seems to be the view of many who cover the NFL. However getting the parts to the puzzle is only part of the solution having someone who can take the pieces and put it all together is another matter. I never had the same hatred for Garrett as others did. I backed him because I knew his success or failure would be the teams success or failure. We continued to see this team take 1 step forward only to take 2 steps back the next season, Cowboys were never able to put back to back seasons together and yes I think most of that falls to the coaching staff. I do think some of that 25 plus years does fall to Jerry as many of the drafts under Larry Lacewell bombed but I would say dating back to Ireland up to McClay this organization did a much better job of putting talent on the field for the most part. My view clearly I think McClay has done a good job since taking over personnel
If the blame falls mostly on coaching, Isn’t Jerry the one responsible for keeping Jason Garrett for a decade? Despite only making the playoffs 3 times as a head coach.

I agree with you that the coaching wasted a lot of the talent we’ve had. And Jerry has improved the scouting and personnel acquisition with McClay. But Jerry is the one who somehow believed Jason Garrett was “the answer” for more years than a vast majority of NFL GMs or owners would have allowed. It didn’t take most of us a decade to see what Garrett was- an average at best NFL HC.

Who is more responsible for the last ten years- Garrett or Jerry? In my book it’s always the guy with ultimate authority who has to take responsibility.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If the blame falls mostly on coaching, Isn’t Jerry the one responsible for keeping Jason Garrett for a decade? Despite only making the playoffs 3 times as a head coach.

I agree with you that the coaching wasted a lot of the talent we’ve had. And Jerry has improved the scouting and personnel acquisition with McClay. But Jerry is the one who somehow believed Jason Garrett was “the answer” for more years than a vast majority of NFL GMs or owners would have allowed. It didn’t take most of us a decade to see what Garrett was- an average at best NFL HC.

Who is more responsible for the last ten years- Garrett or Jerry? In my book it’s always the guy with ultimate authority who has to take responsibility.

I agree, which is why I do not claim Jerry has no blame. Garrett had faced a lame duck year after 2015 where he headed into 2016 on a final year of his contract and ends up going 13-3 with a rookie QB winning coach of the year and think it would have been hard for any team to fire a HC coming off a season such as that. But again, his inconsistency of winning season making post season to failing to make post season the following year continued and cost him in the end. You are right Jerry choose to stick with his HC and I do hope he backs McCarthy as strongly

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Anytime we are in the playoffs - it has always been about the Defense. whether we advance to the level.
or if we fail and get knocked outta playoffs (see 2014, 2016 losses to GB, and horrid run defense loss vs Rams in 2018)

For all this hype and hurrah of the offense per Dak, McCarthy, Lamb, Cooper, Gallup, Zeke, Pollard, and Jarwin, ...it is going to come down to the state and performance of the defense.

We have never had enough defense to propel us to advance - it's always been the issue that eventually sends us home again, ..or the reason why we cannot even make the playoffs.

and how many defensive coordinators and coaches are we gonna have to go through Wade Phillips, Rob Ryan Kiffin, Marinelli, Eberflus, Richard, etc., etc. ?
This is fake news! In 2014 and 2016 vs GB and in 2018 vs the Rams our offense had plenty of chances to make plays and help us win those games. Those offenses had a ton of talent and a very high percentage of the salary CAP was on the offensive side of the ball. Garrett’s lame offensive coaching really hurt our chances of winning those games too!!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He did not play and thus no one knows what the outcome would have been. I love it people use hypotheticals and it always turns out the way they want it, amazing isn't it? lol. Romo may have played great, maybe not, fact is Romo has ample failures in post season so lets not act as if he was a great post season QB the records says otherwise. Hell we don't know if he would have played 4 qrts because of his back issues. We can play this pretend game all day

I agree, but then again, you see the same thing done, on a daily basis with regards to Dak and the reasoning as to why he deserves to be paid right? So if you take the position that you can't know what Romo would have done, which I agree with BTW, then you have to take that same position in other areas IMO.

Swagger

Reaction score

What are you doing - people are not allowed to talk sense and properly analyse a game!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely bang on point. Reassures my faith that some cowboy fans actually understand football.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The Heath sack non-fumble was the play of the game. 95% of the time, the QB fumbles there and Scandrick is there for the likely recovery, if not TD.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, which is why I do not claim Jerry has no blame. Garrett had faced a lame duck year after 2015 where he headed into 2016 on a final year of his contract and ends up going 13-3 with a rookie QB winning coach of the year and think it would have been hard for any team to fire a HC coming off a season such as that. But again, his inconsistency of winning season making post season to failing to make post season the following year continued and cost him in the end. You are right Jerry choose to stick with his HC and I do hope he backs McCarthy as strongly
I think Jerry should have fired Garrett after the 2015 season. That was his 5th full season and had only made the playoffs one time. Recent NFL history shows coaches who take teams to the SB almost always do in in the first 5 yrs, unless you have Andy Reid, who’s probably a HOF Coach.

The 2016 season was a miracle because of a great draft but Garrett squandered the talent upgrade in 2017, 18 and 19. I blame Jerry for being delusional in what he had in Garrett.

Kaiser

Reaction score

“O Romo, Romo, wherefore art thou Romo
Deny thy father and refuse thy name
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love"

Ring Leader

Reaction score
really ? i'd have to re-watch the game on YouTube again, i don't remember a Doug Donley drop.

i recall Bill Walsh totally out coaching the man with the Hat. when Landry had his base defense in, walsh would pass, ..when Landry put his 7-0 nickel defense in, Walsh would call up run plays.
Landry could have adjust to Walsh.

All that genius coaching yet we still picked off Montana 3 times and were a fingertip horse collar tackle away from winning.

quickccc

Reaction score
This is fake news! In 2014 and 2016 vs GB and in 2018 vs the Rams our offense had plenty of chances to make plays and help us win those games. Those offenses had a ton of talent and a very high percentage of the salary CAP was on the offensive side of the ball. Garrett’s lame offensive coaching really hurt our chances of winning those games too!!

LOL! :lmao:....... ..oh well, Keep tryin' to convince of that in the mirror.

2014 -we can't put pressure on a injured one leg Aaron Rodgers, so he sizzles us again in the playoffs,
the very next week vs ATL , Falcons beat the hell outta Rodgers in a blow out win - ironic how 3 out
of the last 4 times we simply cannot ever seem to put pressure on Rodgers.

2016- once again, we cannot disrupt and put pressure on Rodgers, results 28 points in the 1st half,
and when it counted on needing to finally stop Rodgers when it counted on the final drive
- we allow Rodgers & co to march 90+ something yards including a 30+ catch by TE Cook to
get into FG winning drive to end our season.

2018 - Getting totally pounded and ate up by the Rams for a NFL playoff record rushing total 273 yards..is not Fake News
we just got our azzes handed to us because we were defenseless in our front seven. Gurley was
a non-factor vs Saints/Pats in playoff but ran wild vs us...fat-boy CJ Anderson came off the street
to help shred us vs run.

' Til da Next Episode :p