Watching the 1994 NFC title game again, I'm not so mad anymore

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I've come to see things differently: rather than Dallas being jobbed out of a win, or blowing a chance to win, the Cowboys were lucky to even be close at the end.

Aikman threw a deep touchdown to Irvin on 3rd-and-23. That's an unlikely play.

Kevin Williams nearly dropped a pass on 4th-and-7. Had he dropped, it would be no subsequent touchdown later to Irvin (Irvin's 2nd.)

A Niners player fumbled the second half kickoff and Dallas recovered. Without that, Emmitt doesn't score his 2nd touchdown.

Without those plays, Dallas might have ended up losing something like 45-17. We were lucky to be within ten points at the end.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I've come to see things differently: rather than Dallas being jobbed out of a win, or blowing a chance to win, the Cowboys were lucky to even be close at the end.

Kevin Williams nearly dropped a pass on 4th-and-7. Had he dropped, it would be no subsequent touchdown later to Irvin (Irvin's 2nd.)

A Niners player fumbled the second half kickoff and Dallas recovered. Without that, Emmitt doesn't score his 2nd touchdown.

Without those plays, Dallas might have ended up losing something like 45-17. We were lucky to be within ten points at the end.

That game was over halfway through the first quarter. Three straight turnovers leading directly to three 49er TDs.

Dallas never got closer than 10 points the rest of the game, and that was by scoring the last TD.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And if Dallas did not turn the ball over 3 times inside their own 50 at the start. That game is different, and Dallas probably wins.

CapnB

Reaction score
better late than never is what i say... i say that..... and i say never wear pants ever, and god save the bacon.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I havent seen that game in awhile, might need to watch that again, what about a youtube link ??
but it would seem SF was the better prepared team , and had more intensity.
And without jimmy, they didnt win 2 of 3 phases of the game, werent intense and lacked preparation.

Motorola

Reaction score
That game was over halfway through the first quarter. Three straight turnovers leading directly to three 49er TDs.

Dallas never got closer than 10 points the rest of the game, and that was by scoring the last TD.
I contracted the flu that Friday before the game, so I was in a sad state physically.
Watching that game made me feel worse.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I was in the building for that mess.

Same way we were going to win the same game two years earlier, SF just was not going to be denied that day. They came to play. Not that Dallas didn't, but way too much of a hole.

If anyone remembers correctly, we were dammed lucky the following season that GB knocked them off so we played the NFCCG at home instead of there again.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I was in the building for that mess.

Same way we were going to win the same game two years earlier, SF just was not going to be denied that day. They came to play. Not that Dallas didn't, but way too much of a hole.

If anyone remembers correctly, we were dammed lucky the following season that GB knocked them off so we played the NFCCG at home instead of there again.
It was the falcons who upset them in the final reg season game, that gave us home field throughout once we beat Arizona Christmas night. GB beat them in the playoffs, but that would've been a home game regardless.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It was the falcons who upset them in the final reg season game, that gave us home field throughout once we beat Arizona Christmas night. GB beat them in the playoffs, but that would've been a home game regardless.
Yes, yes, yes. I remember that day.

Good fortune is necessary.

mperfection

Reaction score
Green Bay handed us a huuuge favor by beating the niners in the divisional playoff game. I have always believed that had the niners beaten them and then had to play us in the NFCCG, they would have beaten us AGAIN for the simple fact that they had the psychological edge over us that season. OTOH, we matched up better against Green Bay, hence our SB win that year. IMO, with the exception of adding Deion Sanders, the ‘95 team team was NOT a better team than ‘94 team.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The Cowboys lost because it had begun to fall apart organizationally. We can't blame the refs for losing, that's on Jones and Switzer. Discipline was non-existent under Barry Switzer, and even having a bunch of HOFers wasn't enough to overcome the sloppy football. Pat Summerall said as he flew home after the game, it occurred to him that for the first time in years, the NFC's best team wasn't in the super bowl.

But all that aside, if the refs call the PI, it's 1st and goal at the 5 with a chance to cut the lead to 3 with ~6 minutes left. None of that is changed by how the game got to that point.

RodeoJake

Reaction score

So glad the madness is behind you.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
As 11 year old's, we pick a favorite team and let it cause us stress for the rest of our lives lol.

links18

Reaction score
If that game was played in Texas Stadium rather than that mid pit of stadium in the Bay Area, we would likely have won 4 straight Super Bowls. But late season losses that year to the Giants and Belicheat's Browns gave the Niners HFA.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Keeping the score close after those turnovers showed how good they were back then.

The biggest problem in that game other than the turnovers was RT. Larry Allen played RT but had knee or ankle injury and struggled to move.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

And if they didn't turn the ball over three straight possessions to start the game who knows? Also right before the half Dallas trailing 24-14 Cowboys were moving the ball but had to settle for a field goal that Boniol missed which would have made it 24-17 at the half. Instead it gave great field position to the 49ers who then turned into a Rice TD. Now the halftime score is 31-14 instead of 24-17 huge difference.
If PI was called in the 4th on Deion which it should have been, the 49ers admitted they were exhausted at that point. Cowboys score a td from the 5 and now it's 38-35. instead no call and then idiot Switzer bumps the ref causing a 15 yard penalty, game over. A more disciplined Cowboys team comes away with that win.

calico

Reaction score
I’ve seen the game twice.

live on tv.

On YouTube bout 10 years ago.

One of Aikman’s bravest performances that sadly came in a loss.

Motorola

Reaction score

Red Dragon - while you're not so mad any more at that outcome...
You have to be disappointed that our then-frequent playoff rivals have resurged to be a conference title contender this century.
NFC Championship Game appearances since 1994 season:
San Francisco Forty-Niners - six times___following 1997, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2019, 2021 seasons

Dallas Cowboys - one time___following 1995 season.

On the other hand - with the five more NFCCGs - the 49ers have not increased their NFC titles enough to pass the Cowboys; and both franchises remain tied with 5 Super Bowl Titles.