Watching the 1994 NFC title game again, I'm not so mad anymore

EGTuna

Reaction score
So many what-ifs in the nfl. If GB doesn’t foolishly win their 1988 closing game, they have the #1 pick, take Aikman and then what happens to Dallas and what happens with Favre?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The Cowboys were on pace to overcome the turnovers. The deficit was only ten points late in the second quarter…then they got dumb with the play calling near their own goal line at the end of the half.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
That game was over halfway through the first quarter. Three straight turnovers leading directly to three 49er TDs.

Dallas never got closer than 10 points the rest of the game, and that was by scoring the last TD.

In today's day and age, those would be called garbage time stats.

erod

Reaction score
I've come to see things differently: rather than Dallas being jobbed out of a win, or blowing a chance to win, the Cowboys were lucky to even be close at the end.

Aikman threw a deep touchdown to Irvin on 3rd-and-23. That's an unlikely play.

Kevin Williams nearly dropped a pass on 4th-and-7. Had he dropped, it would be no subsequent touchdown later to Irvin (Irvin's 2nd.)

A Niners player fumbled the second half kickoff and Dallas recovered. Without that, Emmitt doesn't score his 2nd touchdown.

Without those plays, Dallas might have ended up losing something like 45-17. We were lucky to be within ten points at the end.
Those teams made those plays all the time. That's why they were the greatest team in NFL history in a difficult league.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm still trying to get over playoff losses in the late 70s and early 80s, I doubt I'll even get to 1994.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I've come to see things differently: rather than Dallas being jobbed out of a win, or blowing a chance to win, the Cowboys were lucky to even be close at the end.

Kevin Williams nearly dropped a pass on 4th-and-7. Had he dropped, it would be no subsequent touchdown later to Irvin (Irvin's 2nd.)

A Niners player fumbled the second half kickoff and Dallas recovered. Without that, Emmitt doesn't score his 2nd touchdown.

Without those plays, Dallas might have ended up losing something like 45-17. We were lucky to be within ten points at the end.
Still mad at Switzer for getting that 15 yard personal foul penalty towards the end of the game.
No way does Jimmy pull a stunt like that

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Green Bay handed us a huuuge favor by beating the niners in the divisional playoff game. I have always believed that had the niners beaten them and then had to play us in the NFCCG, they would have beaten us AGAIN for the simple fact that they had the psychological edge over us that season. OTOH, we matched up better against Green Bay, hence our SB win that year. IMO, with the exception of adding Deion Sanders, the ‘95 team team was NOT a better team than ‘94 team.

Agreed. Switzer was not going to beat SF.,

Motorola

Reaction score
I'm still trying to get over playoff losses in the late 70s and early 80s, I doubt I'll even get to 1994.
You forgot - or was not around - when the Cowboys lost TWO NFL Championship games in ONE calendar year____1967.

Motorola

Reaction score
So many what-ifs in the nfl. If GB doesn’t foolishly win their 1988 closing game, they have the #1 pick, take Aikman and then what happens to Dallas and what happens with Favre?
"If I Woulda Coulda Shoulda" - the late, Great Lou Rawls.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

I keep rewatching old games too, I enjoy watching that finely tuned oiled machine. As far as that game, we did lose it. Deion never really interfered with Irvin, that was so overrated but Switzer with his little BS tirade is the one thing that pissed me off the most. Woulda liked to seen what maybe coulda happened if not for tthat. One thing that is kinda funny watching all these old games was I know Moose didn't score a lot of TDs but when watching a bunch of the oldies it seems like he scores in almost all of them.

Flamma

Reaction score
You forgot - or was not around - when the Cowboys lost TWO NFL Championship games in ONE calendar year____1967.

My first full year as a fan was 1976. Too young prior to that. But I was watching since 1975.

I also noticed that Texas stadium didn't always have the star at mid field. At least not in 1975.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So basically.....about like any other game?

Gorgon

Reaction score
I was in the building for that mess.

Same way we were going to win the same game two years earlier, SF just was not going to be denied that day. They came to play. Not that Dallas didn't, but way too much of a hole.

If anyone remembers correctly, we were dammed lucky the following season that GB knocked them off so we played the NFCCG at home instead of there again.

Little reminder. Larry Allen was playing RT that day on a BADLY sprained ankle. He was beaten time and again. I haven't watched this in years, but it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of those TOs didn't come because
Allen gave up pressure on Troy.