Watching the Giants makes me miss the 4-3 defense

Rounder

Reaction score
jimmy40;2393281 said:
never been a 3-4 guy and probably never will.

Same here! I'd love to have an aggressive 4-3 like the giants or eagles.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
jimmy40;2393281 said:

I was one of the main people that felt the move to the 3-4 was a horrible idea when Parcells put it in. It just gives the opponent too easy of a time to protect their quarterback when you don't have at least 4 players consistently rushing the passer and plugging up gaps for the run.

It really doesn't matter either way, though, since most NFL teams probably play about 60% of their defensive snaps in some sort of Dime or Nickel configuration nowadays.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
casmith07;2393379 said:
I was one of the main people that felt the move to the 3-4 was a horrible idea when Parcells put it in. It just gives the opponent too easy of a time to protect their quarterback when you don't have at least 4 players consistently rushing the passer and plugging up gaps for the run.

It really doesn't matter either way, though, since most NFL teams probably play about 60% of their defensive snaps in some sort of Dime or Nickel configuration nowadays.
Right. We should let that 4-3 mastermind Brian Billick coach our defense.

zack

Reaction score
jimmy40;2393281 said:

The 3-4 is garbage. It has never worked. We were a much better team running the 3-4. At least when we ran that defense, we were aggressive.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Why does someone have to post this stupid thread once a week?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
zack;2393390 said:
The 3-4 is garbage. It has never worked. We were a much better team running the 3-4. At least when we ran that defense, we were aggressive.
Seriously?

Reaction score
CATCH17;2393400 said:
Why does someone have to post this stupid thread once a week?

:bow:

Everytime they lose, you see this post. The Defense wasn't as bad as it looked. They were on the field for a long long time. Brad Johnson killed this team.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
i firmly believe our current personnel would be more effective in the 4-3.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's nothing wrong with the 3-4 defense. What is wrong with it is lack of execution and the right personnel (and/or coaches) to run it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Biggems;2393425 said:
i firmly believe our current personnel would be more effective in the 4-3.
Spencer wouldn't be an effective 4-3 LDE. And Ellis' career is just about over. We'd be back in the hunt for a complement to Ware, when we've got one right now in a 3-4 defense.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast;2393438 said:
There's nothing wrong with the 3-4 defense. What is wrong with it is lack of execution and the right personnel (and/or coaches) to run it.
:hammer:

At some point, people need to look at the players.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
zack;2393390 said:
You must have missed the Mike Zimmer era...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2393464 said:
:hammer:

At some point, people need to look at the players.
No one will ever blame Jay Ratliff for that TD where Jenkins pulled a Sanders. But it was all on Ratliff.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
theogt;2393474 said:
No one will ever blame Jay Ratliff for that TD where Jenkins pulled a Sanders. But it was all on Ratliff.

If I remember that play correctly, James actually runs into and tackles the DT (Ratliff?) from behind preventing that DT from making the tackle.

Reaction score
It comes a time where you have to look at the coaching and players.... Whether it's a 4-3 or 3-4, players make it work.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's not the scheme. The 3-4 is a more disguised defense than the 4-3. We generally rush 4-5 people anyway. That's not the problem. It's mistakes, poor tackling and ????quitting that is the problem. You just never ever stop playing hard. I'd run them into the ground tomorrow. I wouldn't stop until they were all throwing up. Damn that pisses me off.