Watching the Giants makes me miss the 4-3 defense

zack

Reaction score
theogt;2393409 said:
Seriously?

I don't recall this defense being ranked #1, but we should fire Zimmer because he sucks...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;2393385 said:
Right. We should let that 4-3 mastermind Brian Billick coach our defense.

Owned.

I've also read posts saying they wanted Tom Couglin to coach our defense (few years ago).

Some people are completely clueless.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The fact is the front we run isn't the problem. We lack the personnel to run either defense effectively. We need a big run stuffing NG in our 3-4. If we switched to a 4-3, we'd STILL need a big run stuffing DT.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Rack;2393628 said:
The fact is the front we run isn't the problem. We lack the personnel to run either defense effectively. We need a big run stuffing NG in our 3-4. If we switched to a 4-3, we'd STILL need a big run stuffing DT.
I don't know Rack, looks like the Giants are playing with 4 defensive end types.

Reaction score
But wait...with the 3-4 people don't know who is pass rushing...problem is you have to have people that can actually...what is the term...oh yeah...

PASS RUSH!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jimmy40;2393668 said:
I don't know Rack, looks like the Giants are playing with 4 defensive end types.
Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2393687 said:
But wait...with the 3-4 people don't know who is pass rushing...problem is you have to have people that can actually...what is the term...oh yeah...

PASS RUSH!
If only we could field a team that was top 5 in sacks....

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Juke99;2393602 said:
I prefer the Flex... ;)

...and Tom Landry.

You do know that there is absolutely no chance that happens, right?

It is beyond hell freezing over and flying pigs.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jimmy40;2393668 said:

In obvious passing situations, yeah.

You don't see them lining up 4 DEs on 1st and 10.

parchy

Reaction score
You think Steelers fans are crying to themselves about their "woeful" 3-4? Or Pats fans?

Gimme a break. The 3-4 has a higher ceiling of success than the 4-3 does. We just suck.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rack;2393628 said:

Exactly.

I just don't know where we're gonna find one without much salary cap room or a first round pick. Have to hope we get lucky later in the draft, I guess.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2394799 said:
Exactly.

I just don't know where we're gonna find one without much salary cap room or a first round pick. Have to hope we get lucky later in the draft, I guess.

The Browns traded a 3rd round pick for one and he's having - arguably - a better season then any other DT/NG in the NFL (Shaun Rogers).

Problem for the browns is they have crap everywhere else on that defense. Rogers is BY FAR their best defensive player. The next best guy is nowhere close to Rogers. I knew Rogers was good, but thought he wasn't worth it cuz he took too many plays off. He sure as hell hasn't been doing that this year. He even blocked a FG last week. If he were gonna take a play off it would have occured when he was in on a FG defense. Sad.

What's even more sad was we had a solid run stuffing DT on the team already... and we traded him to the Fins for a 6th rounder.

We could have had Fergy starting at NG and Ratliff starting at DE (Left or Right, doesn't matter).

Imagine Ratliff at RE and Ware right next to him. How is an offense gonna block that? Spencer and Ellis one on ones every single time.

ddh33

Reaction score
Everybody wants the four man front after a loss.

The players have to do better. It's that simple.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rack;2394812 said:
What's even more sad was we had a solid run stuffing DT on the team already... and we traded him to the Fins for a 6th rounder.

We could have had Fergy starting at NG and Ratliff starting at DE (Left or Right, doesn't matter).
Yep, I'm probably being repetitive, but I never had a problem with the Fasano/Ayodele trade. The Fergy trade, though, made me sick at the time and still does.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BAT;2393910 said:
You do know that there is absolutely no chance that happens, right?

It is beyond hell freezing over and flying pigs.

It was a joke (note the winking smilie) I was saying I miss the days of Landry.

kramskoi

Reaction score
DallasEast;2393438 said:
There's nothing wrong with the 3-4 defense. What is wrong with it is lack of execution and the right personnel (and/or coaches) to run it.
so funny...individual effort, attention to detail, attitude, accountability, study...every time i see this argument i'm reminded of novice chessplayers who insist that it is the defense that is responsible for losses, when in fact it is their fundamental knowledge of the game that is deficient...kinda of like blocking, tackling and coverage...until the fundamentals are honed to fluency it does'nt matter what defense you play, a good player will simply destroy you...each and every time...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pick6TerenceNewman;2393404 said:
The defense was worn out. Not an excuse, a fact. they were on the field for a long long time.

...and that's partly their own fault. I needed a calculator to count the missed tackles yesterday.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
DallasEast;2393438 said:
There's nothing wrong with the 3-4 defense. What is wrong with it is lack of execution and the right personnel (and/or coaches) to run it.
I think we need a real NG along the lines of a Casey Hampton and then move Ratliff to DE.

JPM

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2395005 said:
I think we need a real NG along the lines of a Casey Hampton and then move Ratliff to DE.
Agreed, we need a big fatso to plug up the middle, too bad we traded Fergy for some magic beans.