Watching the Giants makes me miss the 4-3 defense

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
ddh33;2394815 said:
Everybody wants the four man front after a loss.

The players have to do better. It's that simple.

Some of us got used to seeing a consistently Top 5 defense under Mike Zimmer.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
casmith07;2395070 said:
Some of us got used to seeing a consistently Top 5 defense under Mike Zimmer.

Wow.

You are now on my ignore list on the grounds of (if I said it, I'd get banned).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2393441 said:
Spencer wouldn't be an effective 4-3 LDE. And Ellis' career is just about over. We'd be back in the hunt for a complement to Ware, when we've got one right now in a 3-4 defense.

What makes you think Spencer would fail at LDE?

superpunk

Reaction score
It's not about how many defensive linemen you trot out up front, there. It's about the horses you have to run your system, and we've just got shoddy horses, it seems - or at the very least dumb ones.

The 3-4 is an effective scheme. Time has proven that. Putting Bradie James in the 4-3 isn't going to make him capable of covering Kevin Boss. Running the 4-3 isn't going to keep Mike Jenkins from avoiding making contact with Ward.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk;2395229 said:
It's not about how many defensive linemen you trot out up front, there. It's about the horses you have to run your system, and we've just got shoddy horses, it seems - or at the very least dumb ones.

The 3-4 is an effective scheme. Time has proven that. Putting Bradie James in the 4-3 isn't going to make him capable of covering Kevin Boss. Running the 4-3 isn't going to keep Mike Jenkins from avoiding making contact with Ward.

:hammer:

And the one position we really need to help this 3-4 defense, we'd need it if we switched to the 4-3 anyway (a big run stuffer at NG).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kramskoi;2394963 said:
so funny...individual effort, attention to detail, attitude, accountability, study...every time i see this argument i'm reminded of novice chessplayers who insist that it is the defense that is responsible for losses, when in fact it is their fundamental knowledge of the game that is deficient...kinda of like blocking, tackling and coverage...until the fundamentals are honed to fluency it does'nt matter what defense you play, a good player will simply destroy you...each and every time...
So, are you agreeing with me stating, "What is wrong with it is lack of execution and the right personnel (and/or coaches) to run it". If not, I do have to agree with you about the "so funny" part.