Watkins: Collins release probable

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I can certainly see the Cowboys frustration with Collins. Didn't he come in out of shape two years ago, get hurt, and then miss the season. This year he was careless and suspended. Cowboys played their best ball when he was out. There is a chance Collins gets a lot of attention because he was a surefire first round pick who slipped before the draft. In all honesty, he has probably been slightly above average to above average. He certainly has the talent, but he really probably has been more hype then substance. I could be certainly be way off though. Maybe Dallas is tired of putting up with it. There is a chance he goes somewhere else and plays really well. That is definitely a possibility.

Personally, I am fine with moving on from Cooper. I would have preferred to stick with Collins for at least another year. Is playing him at guard just a non starter?

He played guard as a rookie in 2015 and my recollection is he was just not that good there. He's a natural tackle; just a bit of an overrated one. But he has size, power, experience, and a nasty streak so he'll have no trouble finding a job elsewhere. Steele is a more athletic option and comes without the baggage Collins does.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Why not keep Collins until after the draft? They need around $10 million to sign their rookies, and that is what they save by making him a June 1st designation.

Not sure why need to dump him this week.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Why not keep Collins until after the draft? They need around $10 million to sign their rookies, and that is what they save by making him a June 1st designation.

Also, a trade could pop up out of nowhere for decent compensation...some guys get hurt in OTAs n Mini camp.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
So who's plan B at quarterback? Cooper Rush? Jimmy Garoppolo? Marcus Mariota? Andy Dalton? Will Grier? Ben DiNucci? Or somebody from the worst rookie class of QB's in around ten years?

That’s my point. So many potential upgrades.

Sydla

Reaction score

Because in one week, $6.4 million of his $10 million base salary becomes guaranteed. If that happens, and then the Cowboys cut him, their dead money hit is even higher than it is now. So that March 21st date is the drop dead date to do something.

Now they could risk it, keep him on the roster, let the $6.4 million become guaranteed and then hope they can trade him. In that scenario, the team acquiring him picks up the $10 million base including the $6.4 million guaranteed portion. But if they can't trade him and cut him, the dead money hit increases for the Cowboys beyond what it is now.

Hence why they seem to be trying to make a decision either on trade or cut now.

vlad

Reaction score
This is one of the worst offseasons in recent memory.

Holy crap.
The irony is, when it’s all said and done, that this will go down as one of the finest offseasons of the Stephen Jones tenure.

That guy is such a clown.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
La'el didn't do himself any favors when the time came to be a fortuitous attraction to other teams. His failure to be true to his training regimen caused his conditioning to decline significantly enough to render him less than adequate. The end result has most likely had a bad impact upon his trade value, even though he appears to have recovered well enough lately.

The incident with the drug enforcement official surely didn't help his cause, either. Hopefully, one team might see fit to make a reasonable offer for a trade to occur. We'll see about that in good time if he's not released prematurely. Let's see if Stephen has the patience to wait it out until June arrives. I'm sure he's quite anxious to fill his roster spot with a potential replacement.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Stevie unable to trade a starting RT on a very affordable contract.

Figures.

Little Stevie and his old man are such easy marks around the league now its going to be dam near impossible to get a decent trade offer.

Reactions: BAT