News: Watkins makes the case for re-signing Spencer to two-yr deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The microfracture surgery gives you pause about a long-term deal, but his Dallas-based agent Jordan Woy said Tuesday Spencer should be ready for training camp, if not sooner.

This is good news for Spencer because he might be available to work out for some teams in the spring as they begin the process of evaluating/signing free agents. But the Cowboys should give Spencer a two-year deal.

It shouldn't cost the team much to sign Spencer because he's already pocketed nearly $20 million in franchise tags the past two seasons and coming off major knee surgery he wouldn't have much leverage.

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4722903/the-return-of-anthony-spencer

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Only if he begs to return and plays for less than 4-mil per two years. :D

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I would be open to a one-year low risk deal, but who is going to give a 31 yr old DE coming off micro-surgery. If he is going to go cheap on the contract he may as well stay in Dallas.

Nation

Reaction score
I'd take him on a one year flier deal for cheap money. If for aesthetics he wants it to be a two year deal where there is no guaranteed money in the second year I'd listen to that too. But microfracture surgery is no joke.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I'm with @Future on this one. A little risky considering Spencer turns 30 later this month.

Who's to say he's even going to be remotely the same player? He was so out of shape in Week 2, imagine what he'll be like going into camp.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
I'm all for signing him to a low risk 2 year deal. After all, he flat out pocketed Jerry's money last year for absolutely nothing. He owes us

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think an incentive-laden one-year deal makes more sense from Spencer's side, and only if he can't find a better long-term option out there.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Unless Woy became a physician recently, I wouldn't believe one word he says.

So the argument goes like this.

Is Spencer worth breaking the bank to keep in a long term contract - because that is what he will want, not one year or incentive contracts? The bet you are making is will this guy pl;ay at all.

If he plays for someone else and is successful, then people around here will grouse.

If he stays because Jerry opens up the checkbook in a panic because he suddenly sees the defensive front as the problem, what percentage of chance is there that Spencer is dead money?

For a guy that admitted he took plays off, there are a lot of young studs coming out in the draft that will give you a five year contract and presumably don't have issues that could be career ending.

I pass on this guy. But then I passed on him when he was healthy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Watkins is sticking up for a player he likes personally. Done it before.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But the Cowboys should give Spencer a two-year deal.

It shouldn't cost the team much to sign Spencer because he's already pocketed nearly $20 million in franchise tags the past two seasons and coming off major knee surgery he wouldn't have much leverage.

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4722903/the-return-of-anthony-spencer

According to who? Even if he can't rush the passer, some team will still give him a 4 year deal for 5 Mil a year. Even if we put together an incentive based contract, other teams will also do that and guess what, they have more money for incentives then we do.

I think all who hold out hope of having Spencer back better get used to the idea of him playing for somebody else. We don't have the resources and I don't want the headache of having him back.

Good luck to you Spencer.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Just move on while he's not costing the team anything. Learn from your mistakes!

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Throw this guy into the free agency waters and see if he gets hooked by another team. If so good for him. If not and he can be retained on the cheap bring him back.

Spencer, Hatch and Ware may very well be gone next season though I doubt Jerry lets Ware go.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we should just move on while he's not costing the team anything. Learn from our mistakes!

bark

Reaction score
According to who? Even if he can't rush the passer, some team will still give him a 4 year deal for 5 Mil a year. Even if we put together an incentive based contract, other teams will also do that and guess what, they have more money for incentives then we do.

I think all who hold out hope of having Spencer back better get used to the idea of him playing for somebody else. We don't have the resources and I don't want the headache of having him back.

Good luck to you Spencer.

God bless the team that gives spence a 4 yr. 20mill contract. I just pray it's not us

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can't find a better way or spending that money? I know he plays a position of need, but do we really want to take the gamble he will last an entire season?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
God bless the team that gives spence a 4 yr. 20mill contract. I just pray it's not us

Even if all he does is play strong against the run, that's enough to land him a deal for 4 Mil a year in today's NFL IMO. I think he will probably get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.