News: Watkins makes the case for re-signing Spencer to two-yr deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

visionary

Reaction score
Unless Woy became a physician recently, I wouldn't believe one word he says.

So the argument goes like this.

Is Spencer worth breaking the bank to keep in a long term contract - because that is what he will want, not one year or incentive contracts? The bet you are making is will this guy pl;ay at all.

If he plays for someone else and is successful, then people around here will grouse.

If he stays because Jerry opens up the checkbook in a panic because he suddenly sees the defensive front as the problem, what percentage of chance is there that Spencer is dead money?

For a guy that admitted he took plays off, there are a lot of young studs coming out in the draft that will give you a five year contract and presumably don't have issues that could be career ending.

I pass on this guy. But then I passed on him when he was healthy.

this
no thanx to spencer
at most an incentive laden 1 year deal

bark

Reaction score
Even if all he does is play strong against the run, that's enough to land him a deal for 4 Mil a year in today's NFL IMO. I think he will probably get that.

Oh I wasn't disputing your assertion. However, I may literally spontaneously combust if Jerry signs him to a long term big contract

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Maybe you give him a 2 year deal with the first year being paid at the veteran minimum and the 2nd year being at an agreeable salary between the two parties, that rewards good play from the first year assuming we decide to keep him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Health evaluations offered by this franchise's medical staff do not fill me with confidence. I have far less confidence in diagnoses made supposedly by players' doctors, but handed over to the media by the players or their agents.

The front office and any player should mutually agree upon a third party physician to judge players' health. Allow someone else to make the most impartial medical forecast concerning players returning from injury or surgery. Let that precaution decide whether a player like Spencer should or should not be re-signed.

Shake up the old "he's good to go" routine. It does not seemingly work in Dallas. In my opinion, we return too many players to the active roster who are just not ready for gameday.

Let's be smart about these health evaluations. Get them right the first time. And for pete's sake, no more Ratliffs!

Deep_South

Reaction score
Lots of teams need pass rushers, so I think if he is healthy he'll get big bucks from someone. Doubt if he'll get the 10 million a game he got from us last year, though. :)

reddyuta

Reaction score
no thanks,i dont want two hobbled and perpetually injured DEs out there.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I'm with @Future on this one. A little risky considering Spencer turns 30 later this month.

Who's to say he's even going to be remotely the same player? He was so out of shape in Week 2, imagine what he'll be like going into camp.

Good point, great talent, but we saw his attitude towards rehab on Hard Knocks in his interaction with Wade...it's time off to him.

cej757

Reaction score
This guys knee is basically bone on bone. Even if he comes back and feels pretty good in a few months, I guarantee you his knee will start swelling again the minute he tries to push it hard in practice.

Just move on and get younger at the position.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Even if all he does is play strong against the run, that's enough to land him a deal for 4 Mil a year in today's NFL IMO. I think he will probably get that.

If he's able to get that then god bless him, but it sure didn't seem like that was the market for DEs last offseason. Unless the supply and demand shifts that drastically this year, I can't imagine anyone giving a 31 year old DE coming off micro fracture surgery a 4 year deal, when you consider there were younger, healthier DEs last year forced to take 1-2 year deals.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Spencer isn't getting more than a 2 year deal from anyone, barring some miraculous physical and rehabilitation as well as a dominant spring practice.

Ain't happenin.'

His roof is probably 3 mill per. I wouldn't be surprised if he got less and there's also a part of me that wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't even make a team this year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spencer isn't getting more than a 2 year deal from anyone, barring some miraculous physical and rehabilitation as well as a dominant spring practice.

Ain't happenin.'

His roof is probably 3 mill per. I wouldn't be surprised if he got less and there's also a part of me that wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't even make a team this year.

I agree on the short term deal part. His ceiling is probably higher than some suspect, even on a short term deal, though. He's a good player, and not that old. If he's going to have to play on a prove-yourself contract, Dallas is a good place to do it. Lots of media attention and in screaming need of DLs who can pressure the QB. We've got a good relationship with Woy, too.

I'd say it's 50/50 that he ends up playing another season here. I bet we'd love to have him.

Fredd

Reaction score
for me, it's all about the money and length of the contract....if either pays him for what he did in 2012, then jones is an undeniable buffoon....I can't see that happening, but we have all been fooled before by the jones gang

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Its time the Cowboys learned to move on from their injured and aged players. Just because they play for the Dallas Cowboys doesn't mean that they are better than other available players and we have to resign them. Time after time we get burned by this thinking.

I wish this organization would learn to move on from Cowboys from the past. Its been two weeks since the season ended and you already see people wanting to bring in old Cowboys, Norv, Norton, Horton, Spencer, etc..... I know we all long for the glory days, but its time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.