News: Watkins makes the case for re-signing Spencer to two-yr deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Screw Spencer. He only had one good year here. He is the type of vet we don't need. Show up every year or get the hell out of here. He has sucked enough money from Dallas and the fans.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
According to who? Even if he can't rush the passer, some team will still give him a 4 year deal for 5 Mil a year. Even if we put together an incentive based contract, other teams will also do that and guess what, they have more money for incentives then we do.

I think all who hold out hope of having Spencer back better get used to the idea of him playing for somebody else. We don't have the resources and I don't want the headache of having him back.

Good luck to you Spencer.

I am completely on board with this.
He has admittedly practiced at less than 100 percent.
He has admittedly played at less than 100 percent.
I totally get that was in the past and something he owned up to and said he wouldn't do again...

And then he goes out and plays at MUCH less than 100 percent and gets inured on something that shouldn't have really have been overly unexpected.

I like Spencer. I loved him when he was proving himself on his last Franchise contract.

Yet-

I don't trust him.
I will never trust him.

I hope another team gives him a lucrative contract because I believe everybody should make as much money as they can and live a good life.

I don't believe he will be a dominant force for the Cowboys.
Now if they sign him to a FRIENDLY contract that in no way hurts the team but minimally- I can do nothing but support it.

If they take a risk on him (multi-year contract with some money attached that could hinder the club)- I can do nothing but hope for the best.
BUT...
I'm still going to privately gnash my teeth and think that alternative solutions could have been made and I will be vocal about it if I desire to be.

Be forewarned.

RS12

Reaction score
News: Watkins makes the case for re-signing Spencer to two-yr deal

A two year deal for a 30 year old guy coming off major knee surgery who strung 8 good games together in the second half of 2009? Sound about par for the course for theis FO, and in general really dumb IMO.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Spencer was a bust . A 1st round pick that averages 5 sacks is terrible . Yea he is decent at stopping the run but c'mon it's a waste if a premium pick .

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
If we can get him on the cheap sure. But I don't see that happening.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Let him walk, we already have one DE that is constantly hurt and does jack, we don't need another one

Bluefin

Reaction score
If we can get him on the cheap sure. But I don't see that happening.

I don't see any reason to re-sign Anthony Spencer.

He was drafted to play in the 3-4 and is undersized to be a 4-3 LDE

Spencer turns 30 just over two weeks from now and is attempting to return from micro-fracture knee surgery.

Where is the upside in the move?

Turn the page.

udas

Reaction score
God bless the team that gives spence a 4 yr. 20mill contract. I just pray it's not us

I can't see anyone giving him that deal if he gets more than a 1 year deal it will be surprising. I think he would be available for a 1 year year contract less than 4 million

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Someone will have more cap space to outbid us. He is gone IMO.

Again..

Why would we invest anything in Spencer after all the injury prone player's like Ratliff, Ware, Lee, Austin and Murray..

followed by half the OL plus half the Lber and safeties on our roster.

Thats quite a few players.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not against a one- or two-year cheap deal while Dallas tries to find his replacement. It's easy to say Dallas should just move on, but at this point what are the Cowboys moving on to? George Selvie.

I'm all for Dallas trying to upgrade in free agency or the draft, but until that's a reality, I'm fine with making a low-cost offer to Spencer and trying to get him to stay. If he's not willing to accept such an offer coming off microfracture surgery, then so be it.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
What else is out there? Nothing.

Pay him the absolute least he will take and pray he can produce. Im only saying this because I watched the 2013 Dallas Cowboys.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I won't be holding my breath for Spencer to be resigned. Microfracture surgery isn't anything simple to recover from and it surely isn't guaranteed to be 100%. We already have a boatload of potential injuries as it is, so if he gets lucky and manages to get signed by another team, it'll be highly bearable for me. I'm looking to the draft.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
According to who? Even if he can't rush the passer, some team will still give him a 4 year deal for 5 Mil a year. Even if we put together an incentive based contract, other teams will also do that and guess what, they have more money for incentives then we do.

I think all who hold out hope of having Spencer back better get used to the idea of him playing for somebody else. We don't have the resources and I don't want the headache of having him back.

Good luck to you Spencer.

I'm not sure anyone would give him 4 Mil +.

Look at last year's DE free agents.

Some quality guys were getting 1.5 - 3 Mil a year and they were healthy.

For 1.5 - 2 .5 Mil I'd think long and hard about it especially if there were incentives in it.

And let's get his age stright, he'll be 30 later this month.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Yea but what are you going to give him...4 mil a year? If he's hurt, that 4 mil is dead money again. We are too tight to the cap to risk something like that, imo.

I wouldnt sign him for the vet minimum. He was a self admitted slacker at times, a very good player other times. Microfracture surgery hasnt been perfected to the point he would even be a 50 - 50 bet...let another team eat that risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.