Way too early 53 (current roster)

Sydla

Reaction score
Also now that I look at the roster that way, they have some work to do.
Depth at WR and LB mostly.
I like Smith, Brown and Wilson, but Brown and Wilson are injury prone. But like smith as a 4th or 5th WR. They need another vet to come in and compete.

Gifford was a fan favorite, but is he really the best as or 5th or 6th LB, and they seem to usually keep 7, so yes need work here. March good ST's, not so good as LB depth.

Need more LB's as they only have 9 I think on the roster. Any vets out there?

LB could be 6. 2018, their initial 53 had 7 LBs, but last year, their initial 53 only had 6.

J-man

Reaction score
I love it when guys criticize the players I've chosen for depth by adding players not yet on the roster. If you want to make suggestions to swap out players please feel free, I'm all ears, but do it with who we currently have signed.

J-man

Reaction score
You can not do that. Just willy nilly cutting players just because you don't know who they are. Training Camp is coming and we will get some familiarity with these new players. They will compete for positions and only then can we have some knowledge of who may be on the 53-man roster.

hence the title:
WAY TOO EARLY 53

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Hey Cerrano, I’m on the rooster!
:laugh:
3ytnz0.gif

J-man

Reaction score
Pretty sure rosters are 55 players now @xwalker posted a thread that really laid out how the roster expansion works

I was thinking that also, but I cannot find anything to support it. They only changes I see made to the CBA are for 48 vs 46 on game day and 12 vs 10 on the practice squad.

J-man

Reaction score
Also now that I look at the roster that way, they have some work to do.
Depth at WR and LB mostly.
I like Smith, Brown and Wilson, but Brown and Wilson are injury prone. But like smith as a 4th or 5th WR. They need another vet to come in and compete.

Gifford was a fan favorite, but is he really the best as or 5th or 6th LB, and they seem to usually keep 7, so yes need work here. March good ST's, not so good as LB depth.

Need more LB's as they only have 9 I think on the roster. Any vets out there?

I agree about the WR's and especially Smith as one of them. LB is definitely an area of concern. They currently only have 7 on the roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I see Bernard was added but not to the team roster yet. I saw Kamura listed as a DE, is he a LB?

according to that website he is a LB. also seen a tweet where it said he would probably be moved to LB.

timb2

Reaction score
QB- Dak Prescott,Cooper Rush, Ben DiNucci
FB - Sewo Olonilua
RB-Ezekiel Elliott,Tony Pollard,Darius Anderson
WR- Amari Cooper, Cedrick Wilson, JonVea Johnson
WR-Michael Gallup, CeeDee Lamb, Kendrick Rogers

TE- Blake Jarwin, Charlie Tampeau
TE Dalton Scultz, Sean McKeon

LOT-Tyron Smith, Issiac Alarcon
LOG-Connor McGovern, Brandon Knight
A- Joe Looney, Tyler Biadiaz
ROG- Zack Martin
ROT Lael Collins,Terrence Steele

RDE Joe Jackson, Azur Kamara
RDT- Gerald McCoy, Neville Gallimore,Trystan Hill
LDT- Dontari Poe, Antuan Woods
LDE- DeMarcus Lawrence, Bradley Anae
WLB- Joe Thomas , Justin March
MLB- Jaylon Smith,Luke Gifford
SLB- Leighton Vander Esch, Francis Bernard
RCB- Chidobi Awuzie,Joudan Lewis, Reggie Robinson
LCB- Anthony Brown,Trevon Diggs
FS- Donavan Wilson,Chris Westry
SS-Haha Clinton Dix,Darian Thompson

P- Chris Jones
K- Steve Berlein
LS LP LaDoucuer

timb2

Reaction score
I don,t trust Randy Gregory or Aldon Smith to not be problems. My roster crossing fingers DEs stay healthy. Dorrance Armstrong just is not fast enough off the edge. Hard worker but rather give someone else a try. Hamilton,Carter, are bigger than Kamara but Kamara is fast off the edge 4.5 forty

Sydla

Reaction score
QB- Dak Prescott,Cooper Rush, Ben DiNucci
FB - Sewo Olonilua
RB-Ezekiel Elliott,Tony Pollard,Darius Anderson
WR- Amari Cooper, Cedrick Wilson, JonVea Johnson
WR-Michael Gallup, CeeDee Lamb, Kendrick Rogers

TE- Blake Jarwin, Charlie Tampeau
TE Dalton Scultz, Sean McKeon

LOT-Tyron Smith, Issiac Alarcon
LOG-Connor McGovern, Brandon Knight
A- Joe Looney, Tyler Biadiaz
ROG- Zack Martin
ROT Lael Collins,Terrence Steele

RDE Joe Jackson, Azur Kamara
RDT- Gerald McCoy, Neville Gallimore,Trystan Hill
LDT- Dontari Poe, Antuan Woods
LDE- DeMarcus Lawrence, Bradley Anae
WLB- Joe Thomas , Justin March
MLB- Jaylon Smith,Luke Gifford
SLB- Leighton Vander Esch, Francis Bernard
RCB- Chidobi Awuzie,Joudan Lewis, Reggie Robinson
LCB- Anthony Brown,Trevon Diggs
FS- Donavan Wilson,Chris Westry
SS-Haha Clinton Dix,Darian Thompson

P- Chris Jones
K- Steve Berlein
LS LP LaDoucuer

This is an odd 53. For starters, where is Xavier Woods? You don't list him anywhere at S and he's going to make it for sure over the likes of Thompson and Wilson. Where is Connor Williams? He's making the 53 as well. You forget Sean Lee?

You carry 5 CBs, but the team historically carries at least 6. Not enough DEs either as you have 4 listed, and we usually carry 5 or 6.

We won't carry 4 TEs most likely as we've typically only carried 3. Olawale is likely the FB as there is no incentive to cut him (they only save like $500M in cap space).

J-man

Reaction score
This is an odd 53. For starters, where is Xavier Woods? You don't list him anywhere at S and he's going to make it for sure over the likes of Thompson and Wilson. Where is Connor Williams? He's making the 53 as well. You forget Sean Lee?

You carry 5 CBs, but the team historically carries at least 6. Not enough DEs either as you have 4 listed, and we usually carry 5 or 6.

We won't carry 4 TEs most likely as we've typically only carried 3. Olawale is likely the FB as there is no incentive to cut him (they only save like $500M in cap space).

I was thinking the same stuff when I read it

timb2

Reaction score
I really believe we can move on from Xavier Woods. Donavan Wilson played great last preseason and he made plays. That is what Woods doesn't do. He has hands of stone.

Connor William's has been the weak link on our o-line last two years. He is a terrible run blocker. He is a finesse guy. I want a bulldozier.

Sean Lee is 34 and Joe Thomas played majority of snaps over Lee last season. Lee has a history of injuries so why not get a cheaper player who won't get hurt.

They need to keep 4 TEs. Too much uncertainty if any of them can develop to be a #1

5 or 6 corners? Westry can play corner if needed.

4 DEs I really do not trust Gregory or Smith I think they are cancers. Cut them out before theY spread to the other players. Crawford is going to do what he always does.GET HURT!

Olawale does absolutely nothing besides be a plodding blocker. Sewo can run and catch,we have another weapon for defenses to worry about then

timb2

Reaction score
I don't think Gregory or Smith deserve to be in the NFL. Why waste time with them. You know what's going to happen with these boneheads. GET IN TROUBLE.. Give guys who have more heart a chance.

Sydla

Reaction score
I really believe we can move on from Xavier Woods. Donavan Wilson played great last preseason and he made plays. That is what Woods doesn't do. He has hands of stone.

Connor William's has been the weak link on our o-line last two years. He is a terrible run blocker. He is a finesse guy. I want a bulldozier.

Sean Lee is 34 and Joe Thomas played majority of snaps over Lee last season. Lee has a history of injuries so why not get a cheaper player who won't get hurt.

They need to keep 4 TEs. Too much uncertainty if any of them can develop to be a #1

5 or 6 corners? Westry can play corner if needed.

4 DEs I really do not trust Gregory or Smith I think they are cancers. Cut them out before theY spread to the other players. Crawford is going to do what he always does.GET HURT!

Olawale does absolutely nothing besides be a plodding blocker. Sewo can run and catch,we have another weapon for defenses to worry about then

Woods, Lee and Williams will on be on the 53, and at the very least, in the two deep as backups. None of the three will get cut. Lee is a $2MM dead cap hit to cut. Woods is dirt cheap so there's no reason he shouldn't be back. And Williams, at the very least, is a pretty decent backup at worst.

Olwale is a special teams guy too. Sewo is far from another weapon. It'd be surprised if he even makes it to the practice squad.

They have to carry more than 4 DEs. History shows you they carry at least 6. There is zero chance they only carry 4 DEs.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
My expectations/guess:
LS 1- LP
K 1- Zuerlein
P 1- Jones
(3) ST
QB 3- Dak, Rush (or veteran QB not here yet), Dinucci
RB 2- Zeke,Pollard
FB 1- Olawale
WR 6 - Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Smith, Rodgers, (JonVea Johnson or Ced Wilson)
TE 3- Jarwin, Bell, Shultz
OT 4- Smith, Collins, Knight, Hyatt
OG 4- Martin, McGovern, Williams, Redmon
C 2- Looney, Biadasz
(25) O
DE 6- D-Law, Armstrong, Crawford, Gregory, Smith, (one of Anae, Jackson, Jelks) (with other two PS IF Gregory and Smith get reinstated)
DT 5- McCoy, Poe, Gallimore, Woods, Hill
LB 6- Smith, LVE, Lee, Thomas, March, Gifford
CB 6- Awuzie, Diggs, Brown, Lewis, Canady, (Worley or Robinson)
S 4- Dix, Wilson, Woods, Thompson
(27)D
* But always changes with the injury or two that inevitably happen.
1) I expect them to keep 3 QB's
2) I expect them to go with 3 RB's and one of them to be Olawale.
3) I expect CWilliams to be the swing T and probably the backup G as well come game day.
4) I have no idea why they will keep 3 TE because if you need a blocking TE you have CWillams or even Hyatt who could do that, but they will
5) They will keep 6 DE regardless and the rest on the PS if possible
6) Woods will make the roster and Hill will be the odd man out IF they decide to not keep 5 DT but I expect them to keep both
7) Dix and Wilson will start, IMO, because they are play makers and new defense for everyone -- so no advantage to anyone
8) I think 4 CB's have made the team in Brown, Awuzie, Lewis, and Diggs.......the other two spots are up for grabs, IMO.
9) Kendrick Rodgers will surprise with acrobatic catches and will make the team, but get no real playing time as the top 3 are set.
10) I expect one more splash player -- Clay Matthews, or a former MM player to be added to the roster before TC

timb2

Reaction score
Woods, Lee and Williams will on be on the 53, and at the very least, in the two deep as backups. None of the three will get cut. Lee is a $2MM dead cap hit to cut. Woods is dirt cheap so there's no reason he shouldn't be back. And Williams, at the very least, is a pretty decent backup at worst.

Olwale is a special teams guy too. Sewo is far from another weapon. It'd be surprised if he even makes it to the practice squad.

They have to carry more than 4 DEs. History shows you they carry at least 6. There is zero chance they only carry 4 DEs.

Lee will just get exposed that he is past his prime if he doesn't get injured

Woods is like Kavon Frazier. I know what I have. A guy who has no hands won't make many plays besides tackle. Wilson and Westry have more upside.

4 DEs and a couple snuck on the PS .

Sewo can do more than Owalale. FB can actually be part of the offense in passing and running then just block.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
As it currently stands, I think this is about right, except for backup QB.