Way too Early but...

dallasfan

Reaction score
I'd love to add Ahmad Brooks next year. I doubt we finish low enough to draft him, but hopefully we'll get that 5th round pick for Hunter. I think Marcus Spears will pan out and would love for Chris Canty to start down the stretch. Thoose two plus Jason Ferguson, would round out our front three and add in guys like LaRoi Glover, Kenyon Coleman, and Leonardo Carson for depth. In this situation Greg Ellis becomes expendable, and if he has a good season (mostly as a situational rusher), I could see getting a third round pick for him, maybee even second. Ahmad Brooks becomes a neccesity because I don't think Bradie James and Dat Nguyen will both be successful. Hopefully James will have a great season, because Dat probably will still have some trade value left. With the extra pick from Ellis, and Dat I wouldn't mind trading up for Brooks.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
i'd MUCH rather draft a WR, FS, or even a Vince Young from Texas. THe next best thing to Mike Vick. Yet he's probably a better passer.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
dallasfan said:
I'd love to add Ahmad Brooks next year. I doubt we finish low enough to draft him, but hopefully we'll get that 5th round pick for Hunter. I think Marcus Spears will pan out and would love for Chris Canty to start down the stretch. Thoose two plus Jason Ferguson, would round out our front three and add in guys like LaRoi Glover, Kenyon Coleman, and Leonardo Carson for depth. In this situation Greg Ellis becomes expendable, and if he has a good season (mostly as a situational rusher), I could see getting a third round pick for him, maybee even second. Ahmad Brooks becomes a neccesity because I don't think Bradie James and Dat Nguyen will both be successful. Hopefully James will have a great season, because Dat probably will still have some trade value left. With the extra pick from Ellis, and Dat I wouldn't mind trading up for Brooks.

sorry but i dont like the idea of trading our two Defensive leaders, for picks to trde up ot gra b a rookie, why push out Vetrans that we know what we ahve in them for a rookie who could very well be a bust, then what, we'll be on ESPN top 25, dumbest NFL draft moves. Sorry not intrested

dallasfan

Reaction score
Muhast said:
i'd MUCH rather draft a WR, FS, or even a Vince Young from Texas. THe next best thing to Mike Vick. Yet he's probably a better passer.

I don't know of any FS worth drafting in the first next year, and I don't think Vince Young will declare next year (Derrick Johnson, Roy Williams, Cedrick Benson, and Rodrique Wright all passed on the NFL as juniors who would've been high picks). As far as WRs go I don't know of any big time WRs who should be in this years draft, personally I'd rather get a FA WR, so wedon't have to wait for him to develop.

dargonking999 said:
sorry but i dont like the idea of trading our two Defensive leaders, for picks to trde up ot gra b a rookie, why push out Vetrans that we know what we ahve in them for a rookie who could very well be a bust, then what, we'll be on ESPN top 25, dumbest NFL draft moves. Sorry not intrested

If Ellis and Dat Nguyen both pan out, I'd be suprised. I'm not suggesting we trade theese guys if they pan out, but if by the end of the season Greg Ellis is just a situational rusher why hold ono him? And if Dat Nguyen has an averege season, which isn't far fetched considering Ferguson is small for a NT and Greg Ellis is small for a 3-4 End, why hold onto him?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Muhast said:

Muhast, Vince Young is a glorified RB at the QB position. The guy is not known for his passing by any means. Vince Young is another Matt Jones who will most likely be drafted as a WR.

Parcells will not waste a pick on Vince Young.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Fletch said:
Muhast, Vince Young is a glorified RB at the QB position. The guy is not known for his passing by any means. Vince Young is another Matt Jones who will most likely be drafted as a WR.

Parcells will not waste a pick on Vince Young.

I dont know yet, i'd let this guy play another year, if he can devlop some passing skills, then he could be a good Running QB and then if he can get drafted by a team who from the start pushes him to be a pocket QB and pass first run second, then he could be even greater QB,

the reason Mike Vick is look down upon now, is because when he came into the league, the falcons didnt want him to be a pocket passer, no because that woudlnt bring them money that wasnt why they drafted him, they drafted him for his abilty to run, but now he has a coach who is pushing him to be a pocket passer, and like young this year, this will be the year, these guys need to show whether they are QB's or just glorfied runners as so may say.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
dallasfan said:
If Ellis and Dat Nguyen both pan out, I'd be suprised. I'm not suggesting we trade theese guys if they pan out, but if by the end of the season Greg Ellis is just a situational rusher why hold ono him? And if Dat Nguyen has an averege season, which isn't far fetched considering Ferguson is small for a NT and Greg Ellis is small for a 3-4 End, why hold onto him?

because they produce, now if they not willing to be paid at the amount they earn then yes trade them, but if they are willing to sacrafice to play for the cowboys then why trade them for rookies, who may or may not pan out, i'm sorry but i'd rather have avergae players who produce, then unknown rookies that could fall through

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dallasfan said:

first off, yeah its way too early...

secondly, if Ellis is good why get rid of him for a total unknown in Brooks? Dont give me this Brooks is LT or Ray Lewis either, because while he may have great athletic ability he has not dominated games at UVA, and in the games where I have actually watched he didnt do alot at all...right now he is more hype I think than anything else

David

CantonBound08

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
I dont know yet, i'd let this guy play another year, if he can devlop some passing skills, then he could be a good Running QB and then if he can get drafted by a team who from the start pushes him to be a pocket QB and pass first run second, then he could be even greater QB,

the reason Mike Vick is look down upon now, is because when he came into the league, the falcons didnt want him to be a pocket passer, no because that woudlnt bring them money that wasnt why they drafted him, they drafted him for his abilty to run, but now he has a coach who is pushing him to be a pocket passer, and like young this year, this will be the year, these guys need to show whether they are QB's or just glorfied runners as so may say.
DK, I hope you are right. Everytime I have seen Young throw the ball he looks like he had a really funky throwing motion, and he wasn't that accurate. I hope he can improve throwing the ball, I would like to see him do well. If he were under a so-called QB guru (ala Jeff Tedford) then I would be more hopeful, but Mack Brown does not seem to be able to get the most out of his players. We'll see this year.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Vince's stats-
Cmp Att Yds % YPA Td Int Sack Rat RUSH: Att Yds Avg. Td's
2004 - 148 250 1849 59.2 7.4 12 11 9 128.4 167 1079 6.5 14
2003 - 84 143 1155 58.7 8.1 6 7 10 130.6 135 998 7.4 11

So, 59.2 is a slight improvement. If he can get to the 60% this year i'd be happy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dallasfan said:
It is never too early to talk Draft. Players I am already watching closely.

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
Ahmad Brooks, ILB, Virginia
Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
Rod Wright, DT, Texas
Martin Nance, WR, Miami Ohio
Todd Watkins, WR, BYU
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
Eric Winston, OT, Miami
Darnell Bing, S, USC
Santonio Holmas, WR, Ohio State
Spencer Havner, ILB, UCLA

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Hostile said:
It is never too early to talk Draft. Players I am already watching closely.

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
Ahmad Brooks, ILB, Virginia
Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
Rod Wright, DT, Texas
Martin Nance, WR, Miami Ohio
Todd Watkins, WR, BYU
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
Eric Winston, OT, Miami
Darnell Bing, S, USC
Santonio Holmas, WR, Ohio State
Spencer Havner, ILB, UCLA

Nice list Hos... I'll be watching many of those guys as well. Ngata, in particular, will be a great pro and I'd love to see him as our NT of the future. Absolutely prototype.

Kiwanuka though... where would he fit in for us? If we are indeed going to the 3-4... even if this is a transition year and we still play some 4-3, the 3-4 will be predominant. By 2006 the 3-4 should be firmly entrenched as our base defense... we drafted too many guys for that scheme. Where would Kiwanuka fit into all of that?

He's much too tall and angular to be a 3-4 DE and I just don't think he has the movement skills to be a 3-4 rush OLB.

I agree he's a great prospect, but I don't think he'd fit in Dallas.

Not to mention that we drafted 4 DE's this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Nice list Hos... I'll be watching many of those guys as well. Ngata, in particular, will be a great pro and I'd love to see him as our NT of the future. Absolutely prototype.

Kiwanuka though... where would he fit in for us? If we are indeed going to the 3-4... even if this is a transition year and we still play some 4-3, the 3-4 will be predominant. By 2006 the 3-4 should be firmly entrenched as our base defense... we drafted too many guys for that scheme. Where would Kiwanuka fit into all of that?

He's much too tall and angular to be a 3-4 DE and I just don't think he has the movement skills to be a 3-4 rush OLB.

I agree he's a great prospect, but I don't think he'd fit in Dallas.

Not to mention that we drafted 4 DE's this year.
Ngata is projected 2nd round right now. Imagine getting that guy in the 2nd. Ferguson and Glover are up there in age. He could be groomed properly to take over in either scheme.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Ngata is projected 2nd round right now. Imagine getting that guy in the 2nd. Ferguson and Glover are up there in age. He could be groomed properly to take over in either scheme.

I really, really, really, really don't see him falling out of round 1 unless something like an injury happens. He's rock solid and with the recent resurgence of the 3-4 there will be a few teams looking for a prototype NT like this guy.

Not to mention that NT/DT is one of the positions that notoriously go higher in the draft... at least the last half decade or so.

With the way LB's fall in the draft and how much emphasis is put on the interior DL... I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ngata is drafted before Brooks.

If Ngata does fall to the second round, I think we need to do whatever is neccessary to make a move to get him.

You're right... him behind Ferguson/Glover for a year or so would be ideal.

I really love the draft.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I really, really, really, really don't see him falling out of round 1 unless something like an injury happens. He's rock solid and with the recent resurgence of the 3-4 there will be a few teams looking for a prototype NT like this guy.

Not to mention that NT/DT is one of the positions that notoriously go higher in the draft... at least the last half decade or so.

With the way LB's fall in the draft and how much emphasis is put on the interior DL... I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ngata is drafted before Brooks.

If Ngata does fall to the second round, I think we need to do whatever is neccessary to make a move to get him.

You're right... him behind Ferguson/Glover for a year or so would be ideal.

I really love the draft.
I do want to address WR but unless an elite guy is available I'd prefer to finish off the D or the O-line in round 1. We do need WRs though.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Muhast said:

Vince Young is not a better passer than Vick, then again thats like the chicken crap and horse crap comparison...it may look different but its still crap

Young has no chance of being a starting NFL QB

David

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I do want to address WR but unless an elite guy is available I'd prefer to finish off the D or the O-line in round 1. We do need WRs though.

I agree, but for some reason, I'm always leery of taking a WR in round 1.

They'd have to knock my socks off for me to pull the trigger.

A player like Fitzgerald or Roy Williams would be worth it, of course... Mike Williams this year was the guy, but there wasn't anyone else I'd really have liked in the first round... at least not over the other position players that were there. I did like Clayton... but he worries me, and I'm not sure I would've taken him with some of the other players that were available.

Hopefully, we'll be drafting in the 20's or so... if that's the case, I'm not sure there will be a WR I'd take there... not when we still have significant holes elsewhere.

I can't really put my finger on why I'm reluctant to draft a WR in round 1, but I always find myself looking in other directions.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
D. Ferguson will be a stud and I'd love for us to grab him... but I think he'll probably end up top 5 or at least top 10, which will hopefully count us out.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
D. Ferguson will be a stud and I'd love for us to grab him... but I think he'll probably end up top 5 or at least top 10, which will hopefully count us out.
I could say the same of Brooks though too **. He has a shot at top 10.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I agree, but for some reason, I'm always leery of taking a WR in round 1.

They'd have to knock my socks off for me to pull the trigger.

A player like Fitzgerald or Roy Williams would be worth it, of course... Mike Williams this year was the guy, but there wasn't anyone else I'd really have liked in the first round... at least not over the other position players that were there. I did like Clayton... but he worries me, and I'm not sure I would've taken him with some of the other players that were available.

Hopefully, we'll be drafting in the 20's or so... if that's the case, I'm not sure there will be a WR I'd take there... not when we still have significant holes elsewhere.

I can't really put my finger on why I'm reluctant to draft a WR in round 1, but I always find myself looking in other directions.
I am very leery of round 1 WRs but I do make exceptions for certain players.

I was very high on Moss.

Same with Roy Williams and Mike Williams. Damn the Lions to hell.

I cant say I am ready to think WR in 1 for 2006. I need to see some play on the field before I even consider it.