CFZ We are one of the best drafting teams over the last ten years

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

The top ten teams by this metric since 2012 are:
1. Seattle (single best draft class)
2. KC (every draft with a positive AV)
3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
1. Tom Brady (blows away the field)
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Tie between Reggie White and Aaron Rodgers
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
1. LaDainian Tomlinson (2006)
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

The worst teams? Jets, Browns, and ...49ers??? Yes.

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.

Ken

Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.
Confirms what many have felt about our drafting lately.

Now it seems they have added shrewd trades to the equation, which is what we have been missing.

CCBoy

Reaction score

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

5. Aaron Donald (2020)

...and development is the missing important ingredient.

blueblood70

Reaction score

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

5. Aaron Donald (2020)

It's been obvious to most even casual fans or I wouldn't call myself casual that the Eagles and 49ers for his solid of the teams they are do not develop their own players as well as some other teams they literally use free agency versus the draft to get there better players that's my opinion that's what I've seen I know it looks like the Eagles made that list but I'm sorry I I've watched them most of their better players had come through free agency maybe that's changing but yeah there's no surprise with the 49ers same thing..

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
It's been obvious to most even casual fans or I wouldn't call myself casual that the Eagles and 49ers for his solid of the teams they are do not develop their own players as well as some other teams they literally use free agency versus the draft to get there better players that's my opinion that's what I've seen I know it looks like the Eagles made that list but I'm sorry I I've watched them most of their better players had come through free agency maybe that's changing but yeah there's no surprise with the 49ers same thing..
We call that bias. The core of that team through the years is 100% drafted. Graham, Cox, Kelce, Johnson. Their current O-line is all draft picks. Last year's SB team had 10 of 11 players offensive players drafted by the team. The defenders they let go are almost all replaced by draft picks. They use free agency and the occasional trade to fill gaps, though last year they went more in that direction on defense. Howie gets hyped a lot and skewers perceptions. I am guilty to a degree. I admire Roseman's ability to keep trying to fill every gap possible. Must be nice to have an owner give you carte blanche to do whatever. You only have so many draft picks.

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score
unfortuatly our 2021 class (with the exception of micah) is looking absolutely terrible....but as a whole yes agreed on the drafting impact!

CCBoy

Reaction score
unfortuatly our 2021 class (with the exception of micah) is looking absolutely terrible....but as a whole yes agreed on the drafting impact!
Still being replaced through the Dallas draft...and quality of players of retained is still very strong. That is being accountable and improving as well.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Parsons and Osa Odighizuwa make that draft a great success. Plus, they have Golston, who the team likes a whole lot more than the fans do. Quinn sees his value and if people were paying attention, after finally getting more used to playing at DT, Chauncey started coming on at the end of last year. Two starters and one rotational, versatile piece.

They also still have Wright, but his value is still undetermined, so I wouldn’t count him in the above group.

If you get 3 players out of a draft, that isn’t bad at all… and that is without even mentioning that one of those guys is a generational talent and is the best player on the team.

However people grade the 2021 draft… nobody should call that class “terrible”.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Just read on BloggingtheBoys that Dallas leads the NFL this year with 82 players brought into the league. That's good drafting/player acquisition.

rambo2

Reaction score

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

5. Aaron Donald (2020)

Their plan is working. They have improved a 13 win team and have 20 players that are in their 1st or 2nd year.

rambo2

Reaction score
Fortunately, the guys that are cut are replaced with better players. They are now set up to do whatever is needed.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's not just a knock on Jason Garrett. The front office had no clue how to assemble a roster and maintain it. Drafting well is only a part of it, yet they sucked acquiring FAs, ignored DT and things like the Claiborne trade up and ridiculous gambles in the 2nd round usually shot them in the foot, This ran much deeper than Jason Garrett. Pro bowls mean squat and they had no legitimate plan to build an actual team in all 3 phases. That's what was happening in those 10 years. They certainly hit on some players, but completely dropped the ball in many other areas, like the coaching hires in the first place.

rambo2

Reaction score
It's not just a knock on Jason Garrett. The front office had no clue how to assemble a roster and maintain it. Drafting well is only a part of it, yet they sucked acquiring FAs, ignored DT and things like the Claiborne trade up and ridiculous gambles in the 2nd round usually shot them in the foot, This ran much deeper than Jason Garrett. Pro bowls mean squat and they had no legitimate plan to build an actual team in all 3 phases. That's what was happening in those 10 years. They certainly hit on some players, but completely dropped the ball in many other areas, like the coaching hires in the first place.
You must be thrilled now.