CFZ We are one of the best drafting teams over the last ten years

blueblood70

Reaction score
We call that bias. The core of that team through the years is 100% drafted. Graham, Cox, Kelce, Johnson. Their current O-line is all draft picks. Last year's SB team had 10 of 11 players offensive players drafted by the team. The defenders they let go are almost all replaced by draft picks. They use free agency and the occasional trade to fill gaps, though last year they went more in that direction on defense. Howie gets hyped a lot and skewers perceptions. I am guilty to a degree. I admire Roseman's ability to keep trying to fill every gap possible. Must be nice to have an owner give you carte blanche to do whatever. You only have so many draft picks.
Maybe so but I'm telling you they couldn't find a wide receiver in the draft for a really long time they struck out they struck out with their entire defensive backfield at one time I remember we're all free agents all of them corner safeties all of them a lot of their linebackers too I'm saying that over the years that's what I saw you can call it bias all you want I'm telling you what I saw sure things lately has looked up and they got more people from the draft but I think the Cowboys are still a better drafting team I think they are a better Wheeling and dealing team making deals with free agents and whatnot and yes even trading away draft picks to get those free agents they make better trades than us in some ways but right now I think the two teams are dead on even in parallel and a lot of things and it's gonna be a fun year watching it....

CCBoy

Reaction score
Please...We are good on draft day because of McClay and crew, not Jerry.
C'mon, McClay put him in place and paid well to retain his abilities. McClay liked his boss and stayed despite being offered a position as a GM.

That is NOT Jerry blame in progress...

But, the truth is that the Cowboys are now the industry leaders at drafting and developing. They decided to make it a priority about a decade ago – three straight 8-8 seasons led them to that frustrating conclusion – and now it is very much their calling card.

If they are going to pay players, they are going to pay their own guys. They are going to pick their own guys in a roster crunch. They are going to target and prioritize their kinds of guys. And it has led them to this roster that is 80% pure-bred Dallas Cowboys.

https://bobsturm.substack.com/p/how-the-2023-dallas-cowboys-were?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Maybe so but I'm telling you they couldn't find a wide receiver in the draft for a really long time they struck out they struck out with their entire defensive backfield at one time I remember we're all free agents all of them corner safeties all of them a lot of their linebackers too I'm saying that over the years that's what I saw you can call it bias all you want I'm telling you what I saw sure things lately has looked up and they got more people from the draft but I think the Cowboys are still a better drafting team I think they are a better Wheeling and dealing team making deals with free agents and whatnot and yes even trading away draft picks to get those free agents they make better trades than us in some ways but right now I think the two teams are dead on even in parallel and a lot of things and it's gonna be a fun year watching it....
Did I say the Eagles were a better drafting team than Dallas? Did you not see the data I put up showing that Dallas drafted better? The numbers don't lie. You refuse to look at the bigger picture. The Eagles draft well. Want to list all of our draft failures? Guess what? Every team strikes out in the draft, but we don't hear about it because the Board is so focused on the NFCE, especially the Eagles. When they screw up, we like to amplify what they did wrong. Feel free to live in your own little echo chamber while I look at real world data from across the league. Have a nice day.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did I say the Eagles were a better drafting team than Dallas? Did you not see the data I put up showing that Dallas drafted better? The numbers don't lie. You refuse to look at the bigger picture. The Eagles draft well. Want to list all of our draft failures? Guess what? Every team strikes out in the draft, but we don't hear about it because the Board is so focused on the NFCE, especially the Eagles. When they screw up, we like to amplify what they did wrong. Feel free to live in your own little echo chamber while I look at real world data from across the league. Have a nice day.
While the offense tends to steal the headlines in Big D, it’s the defense that makes the Cowboys a serious threat to the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC East.

The addition of Mazi Smith gives the Cowboys’ defense an interior anchor that will make life very difficult for opposing rushing attacks.

Of course, the defense still features LB Micah Parsons, who is a candidate for Defensive Player of the Year every time he steps on the field.

Add in one of the best secondary playmakers in the league with Trevon Diggs, and you can see the Cowboys’ defense being even better in 2023.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-defenses-to-draft-fantasy-football-tate-2023/

blueblood70

Reaction score
But I refuse to do is talk about the eagle so I'm trying hard to get you off track so let's move on I hate the Eagles the Washington and New York and right now we need to discuss New York anyway so let's just stay on track I'm going to the thread about New York meet me there lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

The top ten teams by this metric since 2012 are:
1. Seattle (single best draft class)
2. KC (every draft with a positive AV)
3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
1. Tom Brady (blows away the field)
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Tie between Reggie White and Aaron Rodgers
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
1. LaDainian Tomlinson (2006)
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

The worst teams? Jets, Browns, and ...49ers??? Yes.

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.
Garrett was truly one of the worse coaches and OC's of all time. Jerry ruined a decade and a half of Cowboys football with that clown in charge of either the team or the offense. Poor Wade had to work with that clown for his entire tenure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.
We also know the Cowboys have typically been one of the worst in FA and trades with improving their team.

THIS year has been a welcome site for trades.

Jerry has also been one of the worst in resigning some of the wrong guys and overpaying them and or holding onto them for too long.

His choices for coaches over the last 30 years has largely been abysmal. These are where the major issues lie with Jerry.

With MM a lot of these things have changed for the better.

CCBoy

Reaction score

FRISCO, Texas – When the playoffs ended for the Cowboys last January, once again to the hands of the 49ers, one thing seemed rather clear when it came to the offensive side of the ball:​

They needed more playmakers.

Sure, they had an offense that had their share of Pro Bowlers, but when it came to actual playmaking options with the ball in their hands, they didn't have enough.When the game ended, CeeDee Lamb was the only real threat for the 49ers defense, especially after Tony Pollard suffered an injury just before halftime. San Francisco capitalized by focusing more on Lamb as they squeezed out the life of the Cowboys' season.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/dak-sees-offense-loaded-with-speedy-playmakers

Fast forward to now, as the Cowboys find themselves just over a week until the start of the season and there seems to be a major upgrade in the playmaking department, especially with the amount of speed added to the table. "Yeah, a lot of speed. You can name a lot of guys," Dak said of this year's offense. "(We have a) few guys that have speed but are playmakers. Speed is one thing, but to be a playmaker is another thing."

For starters, Brandin Cooks arrived through a trade. He's got six 1,000-yard seasons under his belt and still claims to run in the 4.3 range. Everything we saw in training camp suggests he still has the "take-the-top-off" kind of speed. Not only is Pollard back at tailback, but Deuce Vaughn has added an electric juice to the backfield, at least that's how it appears based off the preseason. All he did in college was make plays.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We always draft and develop the best players in the NFL but we never win jack squat. Perhaps they are not the best players after all.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We always draft and develop the best players in the NFL but we never win jack squat. Perhaps they are not the best players after all.
Study actual playoff entry as to making it there. Player drafting and developing is more recent as to success and organization ability to dent the process beyond competitive. Talent is fully able now and not just a positional statistic attached to level previously associated with success in playoffs.

Straight up, was Dallas competitive come playoff time for the past two seasons? Don't answer with excuses to take valid from the table now...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are. It's just that the Cowboys never spend a premium pick on the most important position in professional sports - Quarterback.

It's still a quarterback driven league. Not hard to connect the dots.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
But I refuse to do is talk about the eagle so I'm trying hard to get you off track so let's move on I hate the Eagles the Washington and New York and right now we need to discuss New York anyway so let's just stay on track I'm going to the thread about New York meet me there lol
I know the Giants had a great year for them last year but I am a bit more concerned about Washington. I’ll explain later, busy!

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
We also know the Cowboys have typically been one of the worst in FA and trades with improving their team.

THIS year has been a welcome site for trades.

Jerry has also been one of the worst in resigning some of the wrong guys and overpaying them and or holding onto them for too long.

His choices for coaches over the last 30 years has largely been abysmal. These are where the major issues lie with Jerry.

With MM a lot of these things have changed for the better.
I hope all the changes take us to the Promised Land!

Diehardblues

Reaction score

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

5. Aaron Donald (2020)

We’ve done well overall in the 1st round the last decade except for mentioned Clairborne and Taco. Both huge bust.

We also have missed badly on most of our 2nd round risk including problem and injury history. The list is too long to mention but we all know.

Missing all of these picks which were mainly on defense was a major contributing factor for most of the last decades futile ranked defenses which was too much for a top 10 caliber offense to overcome.

And while we lucked out with an undrafted and 4th rd QB becoming enough to build around we didn’t have an Elite QB.

Tough to win championships without an Elite QB or defense.

And that doesn’t even take into account our dysfunctional ownership and toxic culture who undermines coaching staff not to mention other distractions and embarrassing way of running a franchise.

I’d say they’ve hit on enough picks and lucked out with good enough QB’s to remain interesting and relevant.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We’ve done well overall in the 1st round the last decade except for mentioned Clairborne and Taco. Both huge bust.

We also have missed badly on most of our 2nd round risk including problem and injury history. The list is too long to mention but we all know.

Missing all of these picks which were mainly on defense was a major contributing factor for most of the last decades futile ranked defenses which was too much for a top 10 caliber offense to overcome.

And while we lucked out with an undrafted and 4th rd QB becoming enough to build around we didn’t have an Elite QB.

Tough to win championships without an Elite QB or defense.

And that doesn’t even take into account our dysfunctional ownership and toxic culture who undermines coaching staff not to mention other distractions and embarrassing way of running a franchise.

I’d say they’ve hit on enough picks and lucked out with good enough QB’s to remain interesting and relevant.
Perfectly said. And you nailed it.

"tough to win without an elite QB or elite defense" You definitely need one or the other or sometimes both.

But I did notice that you failed to mention horrible coaching for the most part over that time. I guess you are still defending your hero Garrett even now. Bad coaching has definitely been a huge problem for this team.

We can see the difference MM is making over the horrid Garrett.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hope all the changes take us to the Promised Land!
Unfortunately hope isn’t a plan but more of a Hail Mary.

The problem I have is while we have built a better team have we built a better team than some of the more proven championship caliber teams we face.

Have we done enough to over come Phi and SF? And if we have how about KC, Cinn and Buff?

If we are 3rd best team in NFC but can’t win division then we must win 3 playoff games on the road. It’s looks like a tough road to me. And will take more than hope.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Perfectly said. And you nailed it.

"tough to win without an elite QB or elite defense" You definitely need one or the other or sometimes both.

But I did notice that you failed to mention horrible coaching for the most part over that time. I guess you are still defending your hero Garrett even now. Bad coaching has definitely been a huge problem for this team.

We can see the difference MM is making over the horrid Garrett.
Coaching has been a problem as well. Ownership which makes those decisions and undermines it is the core problem though.