CFZ We are one of the best drafting teams over the last ten years

Jarntt

Reaction score
Who hired McClay and the crew?
So is that your angle? So you admit no knowledge or draft help by Jerry, just hired the right guy like when Jimmy won all those championships?

I counter with if Jerry would stay on his yacht where he belongs and let McClay run the show unbothered maybe we’d do even better?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

The top ten teams by this metric since 2012 are:
1. Seattle (single best draft class)
2. KC (every draft with a positive AV)
3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
1. Tom Brady (blows away the field)
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Tie between Reggie White and Aaron Rodgers
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
1. LaDainian Tomlinson (2006)
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

The worst teams? Jets, Browns, and ...49ers??? Yes.

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.
Will McClay! Nuff Said.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.
I am not real happy with Jerry the GM,
But the team has done great with the draft .
It's the strength of the team and has kept them competitive.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
you got to be, or you're never winning anything. This isn't the old days when you could buy all the good players and not have to worry about a salary cap.

Shane612

Reaction score
Too bad Dallas haven't drafted a SB caliber QB since Troy Aikman.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That is remarkable, but also sad at the same time.

We have shown the ability to identify talent but the sad part is trying to marry the coaching staff and scouts.

The great organizations will have a synergy between the two.

From what I see now, I do believe we are one the same page. Both offense and defense.

There is no confusion in what the coaches like and the occasional pet cat from McClay.

McClay doing quite in this weird brokering thing but he is not a talent genius.

There is a reason Vital was brought in until he retired. He was a mentor and a good one.

He is well paid facilitator who is maturing in that role.

That is it.

Verdict

Reaction score

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

5. Aaron Donald (2020)

I have actually been thinking about this very subject prior to seeing this post. Everyone gives Jerry hell as a GM and RAVED about Ozzie Newsome and how many SB wins did Newsome put together?

Verdict

Reaction score
That is remarkable, but also sad at the same time.

We have shown the ability to identify talent but the sad part is trying to marry the coaching staff and scouts.

The great organizations will have a synergy between the two.

From what I see now, I do believe we are one the same page. Both offense and defense.

There is no confusion in what the coaches like and the occasional pet cat from McClay.

McClay doing quite in this weird brokering thing but he is not a talent genius.

There is a reason Vital was brought in until he retired. He was a mentor and a good one.

He is well paid facilitator who is maturing in that role.

That is it.
If we leave MM and Will McClay alone (and continue to pay DQ) the SBs will come. You just can’t be stupid and force the issue.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's not just a knock on Jason Garrett. The front office had no clue how to assemble a roster and maintain it. Drafting well is only a part of it, yet they sucked acquiring FAs, ignored DT and things like the Claiborne trade up and ridiculous gambles in the 2nd round usually shot them in the foot, This ran much deeper than Jason Garrett. Pro bowls mean squat and they had no legitimate plan to build an actual team in all 3 phases. That's what was happening in those 10 years. They certainly hit on some players, but completely dropped the ball in many other areas, like the coaching hires in the first place.
The team’s main Achilles heel is overpaying feel good stories like Sean Lee and Witten massive salaries way past their prime. Tyron Smith is the next one in that line.

Verdict

Reaction score

3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

5. Aaron Donald (2020)

I don’t think there are any Garret people left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Until we have more post season success under McCarthy we can ask the same question we did with prior regime.

And this is with a much stouter defense.

Ultimately if this team can’t have more success in the playoffs how will we describe this coaching staff’s performance with best defense this era along with best drafts and top 10 caliber offense ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
unfortuatly our 2021 class (with the exception of micah) is looking absolutely terrible....but as a whole yes agreed on the drafting impact!
Its worth noting though that the reason a lot of those 2021 guys got cut wasn't because of lack of talent. It was because they had guys come in as good or better. They've done a good job of talent evaluating.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Our free agent shopping, not so much.
Its funny I heard someone mention our last few free agent signings were Kearse, Malik Hooker, Brian Anger, Jason Peters and Dante Fowler. They've done a very good job of building this team and not breaking the bank to do it.