CFZ We are what we’ve been until we prove we are something else

kskboys

Reaction score
And better coached.

Toughness has little to do with receivers running wild through our secondary....
Basically, what you're seeing is fans not understanding what they are seeing, so they blame it on toughness, or attitude, or some other BSPN buzzword. Understanding talent and what the talent is required to stand out at an NFL level is not easy, so they resort to things they do understand.

I'll never forget when I first joined the old sight, and people were making fun of me for pointing out a player having "stiff hips". It was really weird, because that's a very commonly used scouting term. Made me realize that most people don't research or analyze or anything of that nature. And that's more than OK, each is a fan in his own way, and I always try to respect that.

To play in the NFL at a high level, players generally need lateral agility and burst and instincts. Those are the 3 biggies. If a player is deficient in one of those areas, he must be monumentally good in another area to even make it.

It's kinda funny listening to people when they don't understand what they are seeing. Remember hearing Jeff Heath took bad angles? Well, that's the BSPN way of seeing it. The truth is, he had stiff hips. What looked like a bad angle was actually him not being able to turn to get to where he needed to be. Remember hearing how he was "inconsistent at tackling"? Well, that's because if he got there before the player had time to make a move, he'd blow them up. Give them an extra tick or two though, and he was often easily evaded. Because he couldn't turn. Speed in the NFL does not matter w/o lateral agility.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we are the same team year after year, with different faces but the same results. /shrugs, it is what it is.

who are we looking at in the draft?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Basically, what you're seeing is fans not understanding what they are seeing, so they blame it on toughness, or attitude, or some other BSPN buzzword. Understanding talent and what the talent is required to stand out at an NFL level is not easy, so they resort to things they do understand.

I'll never forget when I first joined the old sight, and people were making fun of me for pointing out a player having "stiff hips". It was really weird, because that's a very commonly used scouting term. Made me realize that most people don't research or analyze or anything of that nature. And that's more than OK, each is a fan in his own way, and I always try to respect that.

To play in the NFL at a high level, players generally need lateral agility and burst and instincts. Those are the 3 biggies. If a player is deficient in one of those areas, he must be monumentally good in another area to even make it.

It's kinda funny listening to people when they don't understand what they are seeing. Remember hearing Jeff Heath took bad angles? Well, that's the BSPN way of seeing it. The truth is, he had stiff hips. What looked like a bad angle was actually him not being able to turn to get to where he needed to be. Remember hearing how he was "inconsistent at tackling"? Well, that's because if he got there before the player had time to make a move, he'd blow them up. Give them an extra tick or two though, and he was often easily evaded. Because he couldn't turn. Speed in the NFL does not matter w/o lateral agility.
So very true. Trying to remember that TE we had some years ago that had great straight line speed but that was all he had.
Or like Randal Williams who was right up there with the very fastest in the NFL but did not have much of a career.
The great players are are a mixed bag in many ways. Tom Brady physically was never all that; he made up for it between the ears. Lots of the greatest players were NOT the greatest athletes.
But then you see so many fans fall in love with physical freaks that are great ATHLETES but are not great PLAYERS.
Some of the best are not all that much physically but they have it upstairs and it makes up for a lot.
The VERY BEST of the BEST usually have it all.
But not always.

kskboys

Reaction score
So very true. Trying to remember that TE we had some years ago that had great straight line speed but that was all he had.
Or like Randal Williams who was right up there with the very fastest in the NFL but did not have much of a career.
The great players are are a mixed bag in many ways. Tom Brady physically was never all that; he made up for it between the ears. Lots of the greatest players were NOT the greatest athletes.
But then you see so many fans fall in love with physical freaks that are great ATHLETES but are not great PLAYERS.
Some of the best are not all that much physically but they have it upstairs and it makes up for a lot.
The VERY BEST of the BEST usually have it all.
But not always.
Sean Lee. Most don't even realize that he was a 4.79 forty guy. Because the dude had an absolute freaky way of knowing where to be. I mean, the ball would be snapped and he'd turn and head for some very odd spot, and when he got there the ball would be getting there. Dude just knew. Unfortunately, he simply lacked the genetics to hold up at MLB.