CFZ We are what we’ve been until we prove we are something else

TheCritic

Reaction score
I would say that both the Cowboys team and CZ members suffer from the same problem...too much talk and too much focus on playoffs, SB legacy, etc. Not enough focus on the next game at hand. Let's worry about beating the Rams and stop torturing one another over the other stuff.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OL coach
HC/Play caller
QB
In the next 2 weeks those 3 will prove to be assets or liabilities.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Yes, our culture is a problem but if we think our talent is greater than some of our key contenders who are having more success then we are in denial our talent or lack of in some key areas is a contributing factor as well.

We are beaten with more talent , better coaching , stronger cultures and leadership.

Our leadership is the core issue because they apparently believe and hyped we have enough talent for more success .
Well said!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The Cowboys have enough talent to be competitive for playoff success. IMO, what they lack is not talent. It’s toughness. This team has been soft for far too long.

And the cause for this softness. It’s the culture.
It is THE main reason for the softness. This organization is tainted by the big boys at the top who are perfectly satisfied with being “relevant”, and being talked about, and having big TV ratings. As if that matters. They act like they have accomplished something without the actual accomplishment. That filters down to the players.

What could be softer than the owner hiring his kids based on DNA not qualifications and with no accountability for results?

When our fans complain about the “lack of respect” for this team I cringe. Because in my book this team won’t earn any respect until they do something more than a wild card win. This team is what they’ve been for the last 27 years until they prove they are something more. Jersey sales, stadium size, tv ratings, Forbes ”championships”? Who cares?

Win some freakin’ playoff games as in more than a wild card game for a change. Then I’ll believe this organization isn’t soft.

We are what we’ve been until we prove we are something else. Here’s hoping post bye that journey to being different has begun.
I don’t disagree, but even Tom Landry’s teams were considered a finesse team, not a physical team. That talk didn’t stop, along with being labeled “next year’s champion,” until they actually won a SB. But, honestly, they were still a finesse team. They defeated Miami and the Broncos in SBs, but a real tough team like the Steelers always had their number.

Jimmy Johnson brought the tough team swagger with him from Miami. He was never satisfied with his OL or DL, always adding depth. Philly is now the bully of the NFC, in my opinion. They have the best OL and DL anywhere, yet they spend 2 high picks back to back on DTs. Jerry would never do such a thing. This team needs to make a draft and free agency commitment to the OL and DL if they want to be tough and win the tough games.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
How is preposterous? Yes, if you don't state something clearly, it's not my fault. There is both a losing culture and a winning culture. Your first argument was that talent wins out and culture doesn't matter. Then you straight out said "Culture doesn't matter without talent, nor does it exist without talent. There's no such thing as culture without talent." It's a blanket statement. There are plenty of bad teams whose organization cares about business and not talent and that is the culture they built. It is a losing culture. So yes there can be culture without talent. It is a losing one. Write more precisely if you don't want to be challenged. With all that said...

My original point stands to your statement "Talent wins games, not toughness, not culture." It's a mix. You can have all the talent in the world and have no one to rein it in. You need the right culture to cultivate it.
Not reading all of that.

My whole point was that talent wins games and not culture so I don't know what you're arguing about.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t disagree, but even Tom Landry’s teams were considered a finesse team, not a physical team. That talk didn’t stop, along with being labeled “next year’s champion,” until they actually won a SB. But, honestly, they were still a finesse team. They defeated Miami and the Broncos in SBs, but a real tough team like the Steelers always had their number.

Jimmy Johnson brought the tough team swagger with him from Miami. He was never satisfied with his OL or DL, always adding depth. Philly is now the bully of the NFC, in my opinion. They have the best OL and DL anywhere, yet they spend 2 high picks back to back on DTs. Jerry would never do such a thing. This team needs to make a draft and free agency commitment to the OL and DL if they want to be tough and win the tough games.
There‘s a big difference between a finesse team and a soft team. Landry’s teams had finesse but they were not soft. They were mentally and physically tough.

Here’s how we know those Landry teams were tough- they won 7 road playoff games between 1970 and 1978. You don’t win 7 road playoff games as Landry’s did being soft.

Youre right that Jimmy’s teams were tough too!

ArtClink

Reaction score
I would say that both the Cowboys team and CZ members suffer from the same problem...too much talk and too much focus on playoffs, SB legacy, etc. Not enough focus on the next game at hand. Let's worry about beating the Rams and stop torturing one another over the other stuff.
I stopped focusing on “the next game” somewhere along the way of 20 consecutive seasons and still no Div win and now we’re two years away from 30 years and no Div win so yeah I could give a damn about “the next game” or winning anything in the reg season. Wake me up if we ever win a Div game.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Loser talk. If your goal is not to win the SB every year you are a loser/

ArtClink

Reaction score
There‘s a big difference between a finesse team and a soft team. Landry’s teams had finesse but they were not soft. They were mentally and physically tough.

Here’s how we know those Landry teams were tough- they won 7 road playoff games between 1970 and 1978. You don’t win 7 road playoff games as Landry’s did being soft.

Youre right that Jimmy’s teams were tough too!
And oh btw, Landry had 20 consecutive winning seasons.

The cardinals are gonna go 1-16 with only win against the Dallas JonesBoys.

CCBoy

Reaction score

The guideline during the dynasty was upon undervalued picks on the OL and rejects from other teams. That first created the 'Wall.' And under Jimmy Johnson as well.

Larry Allen was brought into the picture under what coach?

Myself, I don't post on a loser's referenced bulletin board...not going to check that out for dates, time, or legitimations.

tunahelper

Reaction score
The Cowboys have enough talent to be competitive for playoff success. IMO, what they lack is not talent. It’s toughness. This team has been soft for far too long.

It is THE main reason for the softness. This organization is tainted by the big boys at the top who are perfectly satisfied with being “relevant”, and being talked about, and having big TV ratings. As if that matters. They act like they have accomplished something without the actual accomplishment. That filters down to the players.

What could be softer than the owner hiring his kids based on DNA not qualifications and with no accountability for results?

When our fans complain about the “lack of respect” for this team I cringe. Because in my book this team won’t earn any respect until they do something more than a wild card win. This team is what they’ve been for the last 27 years until they prove they are something more. Jersey sales, stadium size, tv ratings, Forbes ”championships”? Who cares?

Win some freakin’ playoff games as in more than a wild card game for a change. Then I’ll believe this organization isn’t soft.

We are what we’ve been until we prove we are something else. Here’s hoping post bye that journey to being different has begun.
The Cowboys glory and fame used to be rooted in success. Now we are all glitz and glamor with no character.

We are a soap opera. Tune into the next episode of..... As the Dallas Cowboys world turns.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yup. Toughness, culture, heart, any of the other buzzwords people love to use. All of them are irrelevant if the team is getting owned at the LOS.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Loser talk. If your goal is not to win the SB every year you are a loser/
You saying that doesn't make you a winner. No reason to be miserable through the entire regular season just because of past season's disappointment.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

On point Bob.
Teams like SF has their way with us since they are more physical and beat up our boys.
Thats is a continuous theme in our games , Atleast Our OL and DL have to be fully fir and match their physical nature to cause some change in the result. Again , our Wrs are not physical, especially Gallup .

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We are the same top heavy "star" driven team that we have been for years. Every now and then it falls apart and we get a big turn over like in 2016. There is renewed hope. Almost overnight it transforms back into a clown show.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You saying that doesn't make you a winner. No reason to be miserable through the entire regular season just because of past season's disappointment.
excuses excuses
No reason to keep rooting for a team that is not trying either

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I hear you Jip. But to me the only way to change the soft tag is by winning playoff games they haven’t won in 27 years. We are what our history says we are until proven otherwise.
The 1970's Cowboys were thought of by most people to be a "finesse" team, not a "physical" team like the Steelers, or the Raiders, or even the Rams.
Yet somehow this "finesse" team made it to 5 Super Bowls and won 2.

The NFL is a tough sport.

Sorry, Bob and others, I don't buy for a minute this team is "soft", they won 12 games two years in a row, no "soft" team could do that.

"Soft" teams would get constantly blasted 42-10 like the 49ers did to us.

The longer I watch the NFL the more it's evident to me that winning SBs is by far only a combination of having skilled players and skilled coaches. All of the accolades given to Purdy are premature, imho, in 4 out of 7 games this season he's had 0 or 1 tds per game. Our much-maligned Dak has 0 or 1 td in 5 of 7, not much different. If he gets 2 td passes this week that would be 5 of 7 games, even closer.

Dallas, year in and year out, is always supposedly a "very talented team". And that's somewhat true, but only because the talent level is well-distributed acorss the league. Every team has talented players, doesn't take but a couple of exceptional players added to the roster to bump it up to contender status.

I tire of watching other teams get minimal penalties, their quarterback standing in the pocket for 6-7-8 seconds unpressured, with nearly always a receiver wide open and having their defenders draped all over our receivers like a second skin.

Our plays are vanilla, our blocking, especially pass blocking, usually mediocre. We continue to hang on to Tyron Smith and Biasdasz and other players in key positions who simply aren't up to the level needed. We promote a career backup quarterback to head coach after little NFL seasoning, and then wonder why the SBs don't just roll into the trophy case. We hire past their prime coaches like Parcells and McCarthy, then fire a coach like Chan Gailey after only 2 years, even though he got the Cowboys to the playoffs both years he was here.

No, softness isn't the problem, it starts and ends with Jerry Jones....