CFZ We are what we’ve been until we prove we are something else

gtb1943

Reaction score
The 1970's Cowboys were thought of by most people to be a "finesse" team, not a "physical" team like the Steelers, or the Raiders, or even the Rams.
Yet somehow this "finesse" team made it to 5 Super Bowls and won 2.

The NFL is a tough sport.

Sorry, Bob and others, I don't buy for a minute this team is "soft", they won 12 games two years in a row, no "soft" team could do that.

"Soft" teams would get constantly blasted 42-10 like the 49ers did to us.

The longer I watch the NFL the more it's evident to me that winning SBs is by far only a combination of having skilled players and skilled coaches. All of the accolades given to Purdy are premature, imho, in 4 out of 7 games this season he's had 0 or 1 tds per game. Our much-maligned Dak has 0 or 1 td in 5 of 7, not much different. If he gets 2 td passes this week that would be 5 of 7 games, even closer.

Dallas, year in and year out, is always supposedly a "very talented team". And that's somewhat true, but only because the talent level is well-distributed acorss the league. Every team has talented players, doesn't take but a couple of exceptional players added to the roster to bump it up to contender status.

I tire of watching other teams get minimal penalties, their quarterback standing in the pocket for 6-7-8 seconds unpressured, with nearly always a receiver wide open and having their defenders draped all over our receivers like a second skin.

Our plays are vanilla, our blocking, especially pass blocking, usually mediocre. We continue to hang on to Tyron Smith and Biasdasz and other players in key positions who simply aren't up to the level needed. We promote a career backup quarterback to head coach after little NFL seasoning, and then wonder why the SBs don't just roll into the trophy case. We hire past their prime coaches like Parcells and McCarthy, then fire a coach like Chan Gailey after only 2 years, even though he got the Cowboys to the playoffs both years he was here.

No, softness isn't the problem, it starts and ends with Jerry Jones....
The cowboys D line was certainly not finesse.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The cowboys D line was certainly not finesse.
No, you don't become Doomsday if you are.

But that's the point - perception isn't reality a lot of the time.

Hey, just for grins, how about some fans find Demarcus Lawrence or Tyron Smith, go up to them and say "You know, you'd win SBs if ya'll weren't so soft"?

Don't think that would work out well for the fans....

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
.....and talent. Talent is first on the list, BTW. If you're getting owned, doesn't matter how hard you try.
It goes a long way. Yes but it’s not tough talent. Although it could be lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
excuses excuses
No reason to keep rooting for a team that is not trying either
Diehard fans root their team on regardless if we hate our owner or other moving pieces even if they never win a game . We can complain and call them out as well . Besides they’re my local team so we are hinged at the hip for over 60 years for better or worse . Much like rooting on your school .

Dad always said it’s easy to root for a winner . And winning is simply more fun . Rooting for a loser character makes you appreciate more when they do have success .

kskboys

Reaction score
On point Bob.
Teams like SF has their way with us since they are more physical and beat up our boys.
Thats is a continuous theme in our games , Atleast Our OL and DL have to be fully fir and match their physical nature to cause some change in the result. Again , our Wrs are not physical, especially Gallup .
Not just more physical, the biggie. They are more talented.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And that’s the core issue with many fans. They have been sold a bill of goods and hyped this team is talented enough for more success.,

There’s one major problem . There are some teams out there more talented which are preventing us from more success. And you’re right, they can’t handle the truth.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Toughness does zero good w/o talent. Talent is first, everything else is a distant distant 2nd.
You kind of contradicted yourself with your first response. But that’s OK. I got what you’re saying.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There’s a larger gap in talent than just toughness . You’d think after a 42-10 walloping everyone would see.

What did "Percells" say? "You are what your record says you are...". Pretty f'in simple.
Yea, at 4-2 the Cowboys are top 6 in the NFC. If they win Sunday...they move up, both in NFC and the NFC East. ^ You are what your record says!!

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong because I agree with you and it’s me agreeing with you when I say I am tired of excuses.
This team has the talent, just not the focus and consistency week in and week out.
Is that on coaching, and I will throw management/ownership in on this because even there all we hear is ehh I was impressed with this and that player when we all as fans can see it was not up to expectations and usually excuses like that after a loss. So tired of hearing it.
This team needs a no holds barres coaching staff that basically hammers on these players to never play soft, never lose focus no matter how weak or tough their next opponent is, to threaten and actually take playing time from those who evidently do not play up to their expectations and/or lose focus.
We may have had one coach whose practice and camp was deemed “camp cupcake” but that ghost has been around most of last 29 years.

Anyways, I have no hope for this team as is until they get to where we want them to go…. Until they get their behinds set ablaze, it will continue to be hit or miss

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yea, at 4-2 the Cowboys are top 6 in the NFC. If they win Sunday...they move up, both in NFC and the NFC East. ^ You are what your record says!!
Six games into the season means very little. NOW if we are still top 6 after around 12 that is something.
BUT in the end it all comes down to the playoffs and that is where we fail year after year.
THAT is what we are until we are not.