We can probably make the case there are a lot of holes here

Sydla

Reaction score
But to me, there are three areas that need critical enhancement. The rest are all secondary concerns, at least for me.

1) DL, specifically inside. You CANNOT just assume Mazi will be better and not address that need. It has to be addressed in FA (and not with bargain bin slop) and possibly even draft another guy. Other than Mazi, who you can't give up on at this point, Odi is the only DT worth keeping and he's just a good situational DT. You have to overhaul the DT position.

2) LB. Playing a large chunk of the year with safeties as LBs.......... whew boy.

3) OL. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen a coaching change here. I think that would have been the best investment in the positional group this team could have made. But McCarthy likes Solari and here we are (LOL, remember how Jerry talked about accountability?). Talent wise, they have to decide what to do with Biadasz. If you sign him, that changes the draft priorities. If you don't, you are likely looking at using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a C.

Yeah, we could use CB help. And yeah, the Ss could use a boost. And yeah, maybe Gallup is cooked. But to me, these issues fall behind the three above. I am hoping with Zimmer, there is new found desire on the part of the front office to fix the DT and LB positions.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully Zimmer can open their eyes to the importance of real LB's. If not, then he was a wasted hire.
I thought they drafted Fehoko to be able to move inside at DT if needed. There is that option, as he was always a future player type pick.
There are only 7 DL on the current roster, one of which is Wheat, who at one time was listed as a LB. Maybe it was a roster error, as can't always go by the team site roster.

Only 6 LB's on the current roster, if you do not count the Safeties but do count Micah. 2 are of reserve / futures contract, and one is LVE, 1 in Overshown recovering from injury. That leaves 1 LB in Clark. Enough said, unless Zimmer can work a miracle.

OL, not really sure about, they do need OL, but does this team think they are ok there. They have for the last few years. We seen what happens shuffling them like a deck of cards.

RB, we need RB's. Not just one but several. Along with a new OL coach. I expect nothing will happen.
WR, we could use 1 more. We lack a big and fast WR. They seem to hate WR's over 6-2. Just like they hate LB's and DT's.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But to me, there are three areas that need critical enhancement. The rest are all secondary concerns, at least for me.

1) DL, specifically inside. You CANNOT just assume Mazi will be better and not address that need. It has to be addressed in FA (and not with bargain bin slop) and possibly even draft another guy. Other than Mazi, who you can't give up on at this point, Odi is the only DT worth keeping and he's just a good situational DT. You have to overhaul the DT position.

2) LB. Playing a large chunk of the year with safeties as LBs.......... whew boy.

3) OL. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen a coaching change here. I think that would have been the best investment in the positional group this team could have made. But McCarthy likes Solari and here we are (LOL, remember how Jerry talked about accountability?). Talent wise, they have to decide what to do with Biadasz. If you sign him, that changes the draft priorities. If you don't, you are likely looking at using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a C.

Yeah, we could use CB help. And yeah, the Ss could use a boost. And yeah, maybe Gallup is cooked. But to me, these issues fall behind the three above. I am hoping with Zimmer, there is new found desire on the part of the front office to fix the DT and LB positions.
couldn't agree more. add to it Saftey, RB, WR depth...the defense is got two top notch players in Micah and Diggs and then there is a big drop to the next level of players.

what is really going to hurt is the 2023 draft if they just pan out to be average and below average. specially that we traded bunch of picks in 2024 for some older players to fill gaps.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Tons of holes from QB to pretty much the rest of the team maybe except CB.
Have faith as GM Jerry is on the prowl baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :muttley:
P.S. Did you ever watch the movie "Titanic"??????????????????
Dak-Prescott-Jerry-Jones-Cowboys.jpg

Proof

Reaction score
Spot on.

But can all/most of those holes be filled with quality players in one offseason?

Doubtful.
It's super wishful thinking, but I truly feel like we have some holes that if filled properly can improve other areas as well. get a great center and now we can run the ball better. get a dt and/or lb's and the run defense is greatly improved etc. so no, i don't think we can fill all holes, but there is an opportunity (imo) to drastically improve with a few key areas addressed properly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don’t disagree with any of your list, but changing the offensive line tops my own list.

While I’d very much like to overhaul both DT and LB, I want to get younger, stronger, and cheaper on the offensive line.

That means I draft a center and finally decide whether Tyler Smith is my left tackle or guard and proceed accordingly.

I’m done with the fragility and uncertainty of Tyron Smith and I’m not paying big money for Biadasz’ level of play.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

They need RB1 and RB2.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with any of your list, but changing the offensive line tops my own list.

While I’d very much like to overhaul both DT and LB, I want to get younger, stronger, and cheaper on the offensive line.

That means I draft a center and finally decide whether Tyler Smith is my left tackle or guard and proceed accordingly.

I’m done with the fragility and uncertainty of Tyron Smith and I’m not paying big money for Biadasz’ level of play.
Never understood the #BiadaszHate on here.

TFred is gone.

We have a young C who has been to the PB. Rarely makes mistakes and plays hard.

We could do a lot worse.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never understood the #BiadaszHate on here.

TFred is gone.

We have a young C who has been to the PB. Rarely makes mistakes and plays hard.

We could do a lot worse.
Where did I say I ‘hate’ him? Never good to start with a Strawman argument.

Tell me about the money. What is it going to cost to keep Biadasz?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score

Good list. The DL is my biggest concern on that list, simply because it will be difficult to bring in a high quality player. You're not finding that player at the end of the first round, and Dallas can't afford a quality FA.

RB is a real need too. Dallas tragically ignored the position in the last draft, so you can bet they'll be drafting for need at this position.

rambo2

Reaction score

Yeah, we could use CB help. And yeah, the Ss could use a boost. And yeah, maybe Gallup is cooked. But to me, these issues fall behind the three above. I am hoping with Zimmer, there is new found desire on the part of the front office to fix the DT and positions.
A center
2 dtackles
2 linebackers
2 rbs