We can probably make the case there are a lot of holes here

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Spot on.

But can all/most of those holes be filled with quality players in one offseason?

Doubtful.
It could, .....but not with this FO....these two can't seem to chew gum and walk at the same time. Besides not knowing talent if it hit them in the face. And everything they do is broken down into steps and that's why it takes years to even assemble a competitive team over and over again. Not even championship team, just competitive enough to remain relevant as Jerry likes it....you know "around the rim".

btgboys41

Reaction score
But to me, there are three areas that need critical enhancement. The rest are all secondary concerns, at least for me.

1) DL, specifically inside. You CANNOT just assume Mazi will be better and not address that need. It has to be addressed in FA (and not with bargain bin slop) and possibly even draft another guy. Other than Mazi, who you can't give up on at this point, Odi is the only DT worth keeping and he's just a good situational DT. You have to overhaul the DT position.

2) LB. Playing a large chunk of the year with safeties as LBs.......... whew boy.

3) OL. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen a coaching change here. I think that would have been the best investment in the positional group this team could have made. But McCarthy likes Solari and here we are (LOL, remember how Jerry talked about accountability?). Talent wise, they have to decide what to do with Biadasz. If you sign him, that changes the draft priorities. If you don't, you are likely looking at using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a C.

Yeah, we could use CB help. And yeah, the Ss could use a boost. And yeah, maybe Gallup is cooked. But to me, these issues fall behind the three above. I am hoping with Zimmer, there is new found desire on the part of the front office to fix the DT and LB positions.
Great post!!! I’m glad you did not include RB. That is not a need unless Mac (and Jerry) really want to run the ball. I don’t think they do. The fans want it, but they only means they will lip service the fans.

btgboys41

Reaction score
A center
2 dtackles
2 linebackers
2 rbs
Don’t think RB is a top need but I love the order and your identification of needing a center. Well done.

I would add rb only if I thought they really wanted to run the ball. I don’t think they do.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yes, if they're serious about "going all-in", they are absolutely positively going to have to be players in free agency this year. I guess we will see.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Don’t think RB is a top need but I love the order and your identification of needing a center. Well done.

I would add rb only if I thought they really wanted to run the ball. I don’t think they do.
We got scrub RBs.

RB1 in the 1st.

Also, C is not a need. Unless they can’t match UFA $$$$…which is likely.

This is the #BiadasHate…which is ridiculous. TFred is gone.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Great post!!! I’m glad you did not include RB. That is not a need unless Mac (and Jerry) really want to run the ball. I don’t think they do. The fans want it, but they only means they will lip service the fans.
So we roll with our scrub RBs again?

That really worked out well.

I think they learned their lesson.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It could, .....but not with this FO....these two can't seem to chew gum and walk at the same time. Besides not knowing talent if it hit them in the face. And everything they do is broken down into steps and that's why it takes years to even assemble a competitive team over and over again. Not even championship team, just competitive enough to remain relevant as Jerry likes it....you know "around the rim".
We’ve had a window the last three seasons.

They’ve acquired some talented players. Who want to be paid.

It’s not gonna last with Big Mike.

CWR

Reaction score
Would add LT to this list and TBH safety was nothing special last year every one of them is regressing.
Yeah I think we have the talent, for whatever reason they didn't play up to it.

Especially if you consider our other holes, adding safety help is probably a luxury we can't afford.

I completely agree though, they regressed big time. It'll be interesting to see who guys like Bell and JT do with a new coordinator.

Kwyn

Reaction score
But to me, there are three areas that need critical enhancement. The rest are all secondary concerns, at least for me.

1) DL, specifically inside. You CANNOT just assume Mazi will be better and not address that need. It has to be addressed in FA (and not with bargain bin slop) and possibly even draft another guy. Other than Mazi, who you can't give up on at this point, Odi is the only DT worth keeping and he's just a good situational DT. You have to overhaul the DT position.

2) LB. Playing a large chunk of the year with safeties as LBs.......... whew boy.

3) OL. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen a coaching change here. I think that would have been the best investment in the positional group this team could have made. But McCarthy likes Solari and here we are (LOL, remember how Jerry talked about accountability?). Talent wise, they have to decide what to do with Biadasz. If you sign him, that changes the draft priorities. If you don't, you are likely looking at using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a C.

Yeah, we could use CB help. And yeah, the Ss could use a boost. And yeah, maybe Gallup is cooked. But to me, these issues fall behind the three above. I am hoping with Zimmer, there is new found desire on the part of the front office to fix the DT and LB positions.
RB? You think this was just an o-line issue and not an issue with Pollard and Dowdle?

Aven8

Reaction score

You can also add to that list a #2 WR. Cooks is ok, but we need that #2 that can block and do it all. It will help the running game immensely

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
where are we getting these guys from? Draft, not many players make an impact in the first year. I'm just wondering. A new offensive line coach would be great, but I don't see us making a change in Mike last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
We got scrub RBs.

RB1 in the 1st.

Wait. You want to take a RB in the 1st? Or you think it's the biggest need of the offseason?

Sydla

Reaction score
RB? You think this was just an o-line issue and not an issue with Pollard and Dowdle?

I think RB is an easier position to fix. You see teams churn running games with middling assets at the TB position. To me, you can add whomever you want at TB if the OL is messed up, you won't get the most out of the TB position.

Redline360

Reaction score
Since we're just going to roll with Dak and MM...

DT and LB is the first things you fix asap. Then we need to start upgrading the aging and often injured OL.

RB is probably the easiest to replace and upgrade however won't matter who we have back there if the OL isn't improved prior.

1942willys

Reaction score
We got scrub RBs.

RB1 in the 1st.

looking at those wanting to pay Biadasz reassures me that I am correct in wanting him gone

Creeper

Reaction score

I think you nailed it. DL and LB have to be the highest priority going into the off-season. On offense, I think they need a better WR2, better run blocking, and improvement on the OL. I think they can get away with what they have on the OL for another year, but I would not be against any attempts at upgrades.

If they want to win in the playoffs though, they have got to get stronger and more physical all along the DL. And they need to get real LBs. We'll have to see who uses the franchise tag to protect their DTs but there could be some really good ones available in free agency. I agree we should not count on Mazi making any big leaps in 2024. If he does great, but prepare as if he won't.