We DID get a 4th for shanle...

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Cowboys | Team receives fourth-round draft pick for Shanle
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:56:51 -0700
Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, reports the New Orleans Saints gave the Dallas Cowboys a 2007 fourth-round draft pick in exchange for LB Scott Shanle.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
w00t!

Maybe we can get a 1st for Crayton! Someone get New Orleans on the phone!

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna have to see us march to the podium before I'm certain this one's true. Feels to much like one of my almost wet dreams. Just when Carmen Electra has me convinced it's about to go down, the alarm clock goes off. So I think I'll hold off on being to excited about this just yet.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Saints grab Cowboys linebacker
Price for Scott Shanle is fourth-round draft pick
By LARRY HOLDER
Lholder@sunherald.com

Two days after making a tackle on New Orleans Saints wide receiver Devery Henderson, middle linebacker Scott Shanle will be tackling ball carriers for the Saints.

Desperate for help at linebacker, the Saints acquired Shanle from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a 2007 fourth-round draft pick. The trade is pending Shanle's physical.

Linebacker has been a position in flux since the beginning of Saints training camp.

Scott Fujita, a former Cowboys teammate of Shanle, has been the only permanent fixture on the first team since the start of camp. Jay Foreman started against the Cowboys at middle linebacker.

Shanle will come in right away and compete for the starting job at middle linebacker.

Saints coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs also know what Shanle brings to the field. Both coaches were assistants under Bill Parcells in Dallas for Shanle's first three years in the league.

"Scott is happy to be with the Saints," his agent Jordan Woy said via e-mail. "He has played for coach Payton and coach Gibbs in the past. He is anxious to learn the team's defense and help anyway he can."

Shanle began last season as the Cowboys' nickel linebacker. But when starter Dat Nguyen retired after suffering numerous injuries, Shanle became the team's weakside starter.

He finished last season with 50 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Shanle began his career with the St. Louis Rams as a seventh-round pick in 2003. He served a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances. The Cowboys picked him up off waivers later that season.

The Saints reportedly had their eyes on San Diego Chargers linebacker Donnie Edwards. The Chargers' leading tackler during the past four seasons confirmed the rumors Monday that the Saints had offered the Chargers a fourth-round draft pick. General manager A.J. Smith apparently turned down the offer. He wanted a second-rounder for Edwards.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
that's freaking awesome.. we did get a quarter-pounder after all!! (some of you will get that, and props to you my friend)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't see why its so crazy. Parcells said today that they gave up a good player who is going to play a lot of years in this league. I dunno, but once a linebacker gets the seal of approval from Parcells I think he has some value. He'll start 16 games for them this year, and will probably start next year too. And since he can play the nickel, he can be a 3 down guy, which isn't very common among 4-3 middle linebackers. I don't think Shanle is big or physical enough to play middle linebacker in the 3-4, but if we were still running the 4-3 Shanle would probably still be a Cowboy. He's a good sideline to sideline persuer. Let's face it, the reason he's a punchline on this board is because of Nors, which has absolutely no bearing on how he's viewed around the league.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't see why its so crazy. Parcells said today that they gave up a good player who is going to play a lot of years in this league. I dunno, but once a linebacker gets the seal of approval from Parcells I think he has some value. He'll start 16 games for them this year, and will probably start next year too, and he unlike most 4-3 middle linebackers he can be a 3 down guy. I don't think Shanle is big or physical enough to play middle linebacker in the 3-4, but if we were still running the 4-3 Shanle would probably still be a Cowboy. Let's face it, the reason he's a punchline on this board is because of Nors, which has absolutely no bearing on how he's viewed around the league.
exactly.. basically, the Saints are getting an immediate starter at a critical position in the 4th round.. i think that anyone would take that.. heck, we dont even know if our 4th rounder from this year is gonna make the team or not.. its a great trade for both teams, and for Shanle too..

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
exactly.. basically, the Saints are getting an immediate starter at a critical position in the 4th round.

Exactly. Would I take 26 year old player with some starting experience to fill our hole at RT or #3 WR spot for a 4th rounder? In a second. Especially if he could step in right away because he already knew our system and our coaches already knew what kind of personality he has.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I never thought of Shanle as a bad player, nothing special but certainly servicable. But I never expected to get a 4th round pick for him either. Most teams are real stingy when it comes to throwing their picks around. Makes me wonder how many teams other than NO may have been interested. The price rises with increasing demand.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
That's likely to be an early 4th rounder too. Nice to have one of the first picks on the 2nd day of the draft.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
StarMan said:
That's likely to be an early 4th rounder too. Nice to have one of the first picks on the 2nd day of the draft.

Yep. Gives ya some ammunition to move around a bit on draft day if need be also.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Then again, Larry Holder could just be regurgitating Len Pasquarelli's mistake.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Regardless of the pick we got, Cowboys LBs are a better fit in New Orleans than most any place else. The Defensive Co-ordinater knows them, and they are familiar with the set up and terminology. The Saints LB corps is one of their week spots. Wouldn't be surprised to see them snag another one of our LBs at one of the cutdowns.