We DID get a 4th for shanle...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Then again, Larry Holder could just be regurgitating Len Pasquarelli's mistake.

Possible, but I rather trust kffl for accuracy... they don't seem to make mistakes very often... so if they've picked up on this and run it on their website, that makes me trust it a bit more...

Smith22

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Possible, but I rather trust kffl for accuracy... they don't seem to make mistakes very often... so if they've picked up on this and run it on their website, that makes me trust it a bit more...

Then again, Vela said on his blog that his sources confirmed it was a 7th rounder.

ghst187

Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Yep. Gives ya some ammunition to move around a bit on draft day if need be also.

Yeah, with that extra 4th we should be able to move up from the 30s to top 3 and get Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson. :D

Note: the above is a joke

but seriously, a 4th is a coup for a guy we didn't even use a draft pick on. That's amazing.
Cue the conspiracy theories, perhaps Payton just went down to New Orleans to secretly help Dallas out any way he could. They'll probably want to give us their 1st and 2nd round picks at some point this season too. :laugh2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see something official from Jones or someone who really knows...

Shanle wasnt even going to make this team, I highly doubt we'd have got a 4th for him...and the Saints are 2nd on the waiver claim list, so they could have easily claimed him once we did cut him

David

sago1

Reaction score
While I strongly doubt truth we getting a 4th rounder for Shanle, it does make me wonder what we could get for DE Kenyon Coleman who started for us until Marcus Spears beat him out last year.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Thank you! I'll believe this when I get some confirmations from multiple sources. If true, though, let's trade some more with the Saints. Quick.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I am very suprised that even two days after the trade there is still confusion about the pick.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
exactly.. basically, the Saints are getting an immediate starter at a critical position in the 4th round.. i think that anyone would take that.. heck, we dont even know if our 4th rounder from this year is gonna make the team or not.. its a great trade for both teams, and for Shanle too..

Two points:

1 I don't think Shanle was all that great last year.
2 He was going to be cut anyway if he wasn't traded.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Is it really crazy for the Saints to give up a fourth round draft pick for, what will end up being, their starting middle linebacker.

What would you give our chances of drafting a player capable of being the starting middle linebacker, in the fourth round of the draft, given our drafting history as of late?

My point is, at least the Saints know this guy is capable of playing the MLB position. The draft is a crap shoot.

Besides, there might have been competition from other teams also.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
Two points:

1 I don't think Shanle was all that great last year.
2 He was going to be cut anyway if he wasn't traded.

Two points:

1. You are not an NFL scout.

2. What makes you thing he would have been cut?

Obviously, there was more than one team interested, or we could not have gotten a fourth.

Falcon

Reaction score
We could have made them believe that if we didn't trade Shanle, we would keep him and release one of the rookies that would not have been of much value to them and we might have been able to get the player on the practice squad.

One of the rooks would not have done them much good to claim off waivers.

ravidubey

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
This is my take. There are other articles saying it's a solid 7th rounder, which makes more sense given Shanle wasn't going to start and might have been cut.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Falcon said:
We could have made them believe that if we didn't trade Shanle, we would keep him and release one of the rookies that would not have been of much value to them and we might have been able to get the player on the practice squad.

One of the rooks would not have done them much good to claim off waivers.

That probably would have happened also. Shanle would have been kept over, let's say, Glymph. Then Glymph would have be tried to pass through waivers and onto the practice squad. Now, he might make the final 53.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
This is my take. There are other articles saying it's a solid 7th rounder, which makes more sense given Shanle wasn't going to start and might have been cut.

The Saints offered a fourth round choice for Donnie Edwards.

Who here believes they are dense enough to surrender the same choice for Scott Shanle?

The story is wrong. It is a seventh round choice. You would think that people like Eatman and Spagnola who have both said 7th would know better than some fellow from the Biloxi Sun-Herald, who likely picked up the Pasquarelli story and used the information.

But go ahead and have a party about something you know deep down is too good to be true and be prepared to be disappointed next April.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
that's freaking awesome.. we did get a quarter-pounder after all!! (some of you will get that, and props to you my friend)

:laugh2:

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Here are some of the players the Cowboys have drafted under Parcells in the 4th round or later: Patrick Crayton, Marion Barber, Chris Canty, Rob Petitti, J. Ratliff, and Pat Watkins.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
bobtheflob said:
Here are some of the players the Cowboys have drafted under Parcells in the 4th round or later: Patrick Crayton, Marion Barber, Chris Canty, Rob Petitti, J. Ratliff, and Pat Watkins.

That's correct. A seventh round choice actually might be better since we have better luck there (Ratliff, Nathan Jones, Patrick Crayton, Jacques Reeves, Pat McQuistan).

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
TheSport78 said:
Cowboys | Team receives fourth-round draft pick for Shanle
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:56:51 -0700
Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, reports the New Orleans Saints gave the Dallas Cowboys a 2007 fourth-round draft pick in exchange for LB Scott Shanle.

Let's see...
We gave up two 1st rounders for Galloway
We gave up a 3rd rounder for James McKnight (in the last year of his contract)
We've given up numerous 4th and 5th rounders over the years to slide around in the draft for guys like Stan Smagala and OLs that were busts.
We gave up a 3rd rounder for Drew Henson...

and we're amazed by a 4th rounder for a guy (in his prime) who was a part-time starter for us last year and will likely start for the Saints?

If the Saints did overpay, it wasn't by that much when you consider how we've indescriminately thrown around picks over the years. It's about time WE started getting decent draft picks for players!

NOVA 22

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't see why its so crazy. Parcells said today that they gave up a good player who is going to play a lot of years in this league. I dunno, but once a linebacker gets the seal of approval from Parcells I think he has some value. He'll start 16 games for them this year, and will probably start next year too. And since he can play the nickel, he can be a 3 down guy, which isn't very common among 4-3 middle linebackers. I don't think Shanle is big or physical enough to play middle linebacker in the 3-4, but if we were still running the 4-3 Shanle would probably still be a Cowboy. He's a good sideline to sideline persuer. Let's face it, the reason he's a punchline on this board is because of Nors, which has absolutely no bearing on how he's viewed around the league.

Very true, not to mention the fact that getting a known quantity for a 4th round pick is very good value for the saints.