We didn't even try with Tyron Smith

egn22

Reaction score
Tyron's actually salary is $6.5M with incentives that could move him all the way up to $20M.
We're currently in a place where we aren't spending in Free Agency and we're entering the draft with more holes than we have draft picks.
Tyron was always a good soldier and worked with us for years by taking discounts and restructuring his deal. And to repay him we send him to NY knowing he wanted to retire a cowboy.
Oh, and we STILL need a Left Tackle. And we still haven't firmly decided what we'll do with Tyler Smith. I don't understand what they're thinking.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
Tyron's actually salary is $6.5M with incentives that could move him all the way up to $20M.
We're currently in a place where we aren't spending in Free Agency and we're entering the draft with more holes than we have draft picks.
Tyron was always a good soldier and worked with us for years by taking discounts and restructuring his deal. And to repay him we send him to NY knowing he wanted to retire a cowboy.
Oh, and we STILL need a Left Tackle. And we still haven't firmly decided what we'll do with Tyler Smith. I don't understand what they're thinking.
No worries, we'll just slide Tyler Smith to LT and replace the LG and C with rookies or backups so the weakness of the OL will be right up the gut. Shortest distance to the QB.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Tyron is a ticking time bomb that is regressing. Easy decision.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Not saying any of this was Smiths fault but the front office just didn’t think this team was good enough to run it back. It might only be $6.5 but if things played out similar to last year it would be close to $20 by getting into the playoffs. Most wanted Tyler there last year before the season - probably time to make that switch.

visionary

Reaction score
While im a fan of Tyron, this is not necessarily a bad decision
Tyler will have to be paid anyway by next season, may as well move him to LT and see if he can do it before paying him
Draft C and OG

Now, the other lack of moves has been idiotic

Carson

Reaction score
Not saying any of this was Smiths fault but the front office just didn’t think this team was good enough to run it back. It might only be $6.5 but if things played out similar to last year it would be close to $20 by getting into the playoffs. Most wanted Tyler there last year before the season - probably time to make that switch.
This is why this front office sucks.

If this was their future plan, why so gung ho to keep Tyler at LG all season?

Oh, they didn’t want to change things up? Well now you have to get Tyler back ready at LT, likely moving Bass to LG and pray Brock can play center.

But im sure they convinced themselves Bass and Hoffman were it when they dominated the Home Depot Commanders the last game of the year

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
All the non-moves signal letting Dak play it out...doesn't make any sense to extend him at this point with nothing protecting him on the OL but a bunch of aging Vets and ??????'s. But nothing the Jones' are doing makes any sense so I guess we will extend him any day now

Carson

Reaction score
While im a fan of Tyron, this is not necessarily a bad decision
Tyler will have to be paid anyway by next season, may as well move him to LT and see if he can do it before paying him
Draft C and OG

Now, the other lack of moves has been idiotic
I really like TJ Bass. I said this once when signed him as an UDFA. He is ready to start at LG.

Best case is

TYLER / TJ / JPJ OR BARTON / MARTIN / STEELE

offlimits

Reaction score
It was past time to move him on. The Jets will be lucky to get 7-8 games from him next season.

Sydla

Reaction score
They decided to move on and go younger. Many here have wanted them to do this for the past four or five years.

I think those that wanted to move on assumed there would be a plan in place to move on.

They have none. They lost their starting C. They now are without their starting LT. They signed literally ZERO offensive lineman thus far. They could be moving Tyler to LT but that creates an entirely new middle of the OL. Is that wise? Who knows.

But all I know is for a team that wanted to fix the OL they sure are flying by the seat of their pants here with no real plan. I mean what happens if the draft doesn't fall their way and guys they want are taken? Are they going to then reach for dudes? They surely can't believe that they can build a good OL with Hoffman and Bass as your C and LG.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Maybe they think Hoffman and Bass are ready to start.

rambo2

Reaction score
They probably thought that Tyron wasn't worth it because of his injury history.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have no problem turning over a roster, but again, we have to think about Jerry saying he was "all in" this year. It seems to me they are all out, not all in. McCarthy is a bigger man than me (in more ways than 1) because if I was in the last year of my contract and I was watching what is going on I would probably get in Jerry's face to the point he fires me. No way would I allow my self to be a lame duck while Jerry sets me up for failure.

I would have re-signed Tyron this year because they need to close some holes in the roster before the draft. Going into the draft with glaring needs means they will draft for need, not BPA and this is where they make mistakes. They may get an OT in the first round, or maybe not, but even if they do the chances are better that the guy they get will not be better than Tyron. Plus, I would rather focus on the two positions where they will really need help, C, and DT.

The Cowboys are no longer looking for upgrades, they are filling holes in the roster where they have no players to speak of.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I saw some big guys down at lowes hardware, maybe we can do what the skins did for their QB a few years ago.