We Dodged A Bullet Passing On Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 817Gill, May 12, 2021.

1. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

4,542 Messages
    7,423 Likes Received
    I was part of the crowd who wanted Meyer badly. I thought he was just what we needed as a HC. But my opinion started to change when his leading candidate for OC was said to be Scott Linehan. Why saddle your rookie QB with a guy who couldn’t even last a season as a college assistant post Cowboys?

I did a bit of digging and saw that some media members felt that Meyer’s challenges would be his lack of a robust NFL network. His college network spread vastly but he never had the time/place to build an NFL one. This started to become apparent with his coaching hires. Many bland and average guys who’ve been tied to him.

After the Linehan flirtation, Meyer followed it up with trying to hire a controversial strength coach and having to reverse decision post-locker room/media reaction. Both not as confusing as the Tebow signing, who now media report the coaches in the building are spilt on. Good luck with that one Urban. If the coaches are iffy then the locker room is probably the same.

Imagine if we hired him and he’d done all this, we’d be extremely skeptical at best. We’ll see how the team does on the field but I’m not encouraged. Lawrence may be his saving grace. I think we really dodged a bullet, though I’m not super into Mike McCarthy.

2. ClappingCarrot

ClappingCarrot Well-Known Member

4,883 Messages
    13,790 Likes Received
    People are looking way too into the Tebow signing. You don't add a sixth TE to change the culture of the franchise.

I'm of the belief that Meyer is doing Tebow a favor because this signing likely means Tebow finally qualifies for an NFL pension.

3. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

24,192 Messages
    47,241 Likes Received
    Yeah, good thing we've got geniuses hiring never-weres like Campo and Garrett or has-beens like Wade and McCarthy.

4. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

5,259 Messages
    5,047 Likes Received
    The best thing Meyer could have done was take over a team that just drafted Trevor Lawrence

5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

68,075 Messages
    79,811 Likes Received
    A few questionable decisions, but I did like what Jacksonville did in the draft.

6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

25,853 Messages
    15,725 Likes Received
    The culture needs changing. Meyer might have done that. McCarthy wont.

DenCWBY, jnday, catiii and 11 others like this.
  7. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

16,663 Messages
    16,046 Likes Received
    Good thing we're not even going to give him a game to prove it otherwise, right?

DenCWBY, GMO415, pjtoadie and 6 others like this.
  8. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Well-Known Member

486 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    Can you imagine the media circus if it had been the DALLAS COWBOYS that signed Tebow? All press everywhere would stop for a second to gasp.

9. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

14,674 Messages
    10,330 Likes Received
    There's no way Jerry was letting Urban Meyer into his home and allow him to rearrange the furniture. Not a chance.

jnday, Scotman, HowardC and 4 others like this.
  10. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

4,542 Messages
    7,423 Likes Received
    The one thing that undoes good personnel decisions is a locker room that doesn’t believe in or trust the coaches.

What they do have is a young team so maybe it will sit fine. But if Urban keeps stacking questionable decisions you could get to a point where reports are coming out about the team questioning him. I feel like they have to be better faster the more weird decisions he makes.

adbutcher likes this.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

99,633 Messages
    26,607 Likes Received
    Only thing that concerned me with Myers is his health issues that lead to him leaving Florida Gators and then with OSU but in terms of the job he did I think he is a very good HC. Just not sure of the staying power to remain.

Amarillofan82 and Winonesoon like this.
  12. Motorola

Motorola Well-Known Member

1,787 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    And the anthesis is just as sound - there's no way Meyer was going to be the chef but let Jones & Son buy the groceries.

13. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

14,674 Messages
    10,330 Likes Received

Agreed.

Motorola likes this.
  14. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

30,437 Messages
    52,810 Likes Received
    They didn't pass on Meyer, never considered him. Booger said they were going for an experienced NFL coach. Probably because of all of his success with them instead of a fresh from college HC.

15. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

30,437 Messages
    52,810 Likes Received
    The culture will not be established by any HC, that is the GM's area of expertise.

16. MountaineerCowboy

MountaineerCowboy Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    1,981 Likes Received
    I mean sure, but it's not like we didn't still get hit with shrapnel by signing McCarthy.

catiii and 817Gill like this.
  17. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

16,484 Messages
    23,232 Likes Received
    It's a 90 man roster, Tebow ain't kicking off some stud player at them moment.

Isn't Meyers more of the OC anyways, so Scott may of just been an OC in name only if they had signed him up?

Outside of the strength coach, I mean I don't see much wrong atm.

18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

44,477 Messages
    22,088 Likes Received
    :laugh:

19. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

30,437 Messages
    52,810 Likes Received
    Meyer openly pitched for the job on that pregame show and that was a head scratcher. He's known as a control coach. Did he think the Joneses were going to change their MO just for him?

I think McC wanted this job because he figured it wouldn't be held against him if he failed because everyone assumes the HC is just the Assistant to the GM with the Cowboys.

The biggest mistake any coaching candidate can make is to assume the Joneses have learned their lesson and will change. We only try to stop making mistakes when we pay for them and that has yet to happen to them.

I wanted Rivera but I don't think he would have taken the job. That interview with Snyder took weeks, not 12 hours, and it looks like Rivera was interviewing him as to if he was ready to give up some control and stop making mistakes.

There's a practice in hiring people in management unless you know them very well. Never hire on the first interview. Granted, 12 hours isn't your standard interview but we know what Booger was looking for, his comfort level with this candidate. Do you think Meyer could make him comfortable?

scottsp, The Fonz, Praxit and 4 others like this.
  20. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,447 Messages
    26,466 Likes Received
    Agree 100%. Especially in Big D. The culture here won’t change until the 78 year old face of the franchise recognizes he’s the poison in the culture well.