We Dodged A Bullet Passing On Urban Meyer

Motorola

Reaction score
Tebow was an easy call, though he may not make the final 52. He's Urban Myers all-time favorite player. Plus. he's taking some pressure off Lawrence. Nobody is talking about the #1 overall pick since they signed Tebow. Instead, the focus is on Tebow. This may allow Lawrence to adapt to the NFL with a little less of the spotlight pressure.[/QUOTEese]
Tebow also grew up in Jacksonville, where he became a HS football superstar.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
People are looking way too into the Tebow signing. You don't add a sixth TE to change the culture of the franchise.

I'm of the belief that Meyer is doing Tebow a favor because this signing likely means Tebow finally qualifies for an NFL pension.

A quick google search shows that NFL players are eligible after three seasons of being on the roster for at least 3 games. Tebow qualified in 2012, so this is not the reason

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You asked me a question. I answered it on culture. I gave you my true opinion.
Is something like this I received (not from you) opinion or insult? "I just loooooovvvvve your sense of humor. This is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time."
Is something like this I received (not from you) opinion or insult? "Huh. Right on. I uh... huh.?"

Just asking.
ninja, I can see where you might see that as an insult because I am beginning to think you might be a tad sense of humor challenged when to comes to this.

Not saying this is you but your posting style reminds me of the guy that walks into a bar and starts staring down the other patrons. Just cruising for a fight.

Sorry, but that post of yours did make me laugh out loud and I know you did not intend it to do that so I should not have been sarcastic in my response. You are certainly welcome to your opinion as those of us who disagree with it are welcome to ours.

I should not have reacted as I did because you were not trying to be funny.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
ninja, I can see where you might see that as an insult because I am beginning to think you might be a tad sense of humor challenged when to comes to this.

Not saying this is you but your posting style reminds me of the guy that walks into a bar and starts staring down the other patrons. Just cruising for a fight.

Sorry, but that post of yours did make me laugh out loud and I know you did not intend it to do that so I should not have been sarcastic in my response. You are certainly welcome to your opinion as those of us who disagree with it are welcome to ours.

Get thee to a nunnery!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tebow was an easy call, though he may not make the final 52. He's Urban Myers all-time favorite player. Plus. he's taking some pressure off Lawrence. Nobody is talking about the #1 overall pick since they signed Tebow. Instead, the focus is on Tebow. This may allow Lawrence to adapt to the NFL with a little less of the spotlight pressure.
Agree and Tebow can counsel Lawrence on the transition to the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will be interesting to see how Meyer adapts to a group of guys that feel they left the college style behind them and have arrived.

I remember the night Petrino decided to leave ATL for AR. He had just told his owner he was in for the long haul and stood there in shock on MNF as his players lifted their jerseys to reveal pro vick sentiments after it was revealed vick lied to his owner about his level of involvement. What sent the message home was that he had instructed his team to not do exactly what they did on that field. Think HC's are used to being ignored?

A college HC, particularly a strong willed one like Meyer or Johnson or Saban, is the means to an end getting to the NFL. Once there, many of these players think that is the end. Think these players don't know the depth chart and how much the owner is paying them and how powerless some HC's are to discipline them?

The tail began to wag the dog when Magic Johnson got a coaching change and then Elway, Manning and Rodgers followed suit. Manning even ignored Fox when coming off the field after a drive and then he was gone.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Urban Meyer needs to prove he can win at the NFL level.

The same also applies to Trevor Lawrence.

I’m not at all convinced they will.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree with the OP, Meyer would have been an unmitigated disaster as the head coach of the Cowboys.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

It is all good. It doesn't bother me. Unlike some people, who shall remain unnamed to protect their fragile egos (I am a sensitive guy after all), insults and mean words don't phase me in the least. In fact, I feed off of them. I actually like them and find a lot of them fun.

Not surprisingly, your psychological analysis of me is way off too. You would be surprised. I would not recommend giving up your day job and becoming a psychological analyst. Comedian? I'm not seeing it.

What I find hilarious (so much for us 'humor challenged') and speaks volumes about your post is the people who gave you a 'like.' Put a huge smile on my face and gave me a nice laugh. Of course, in a very wonderful and good way. You laugh, I laugh. Life is good. “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.”― Mark Twain

Reaction score
I was part of the crowd who wanted Meyer badly. I thought he was just what we needed as a HC. But my opinion started to change when his leading candidate for OC was said to be Scott Linehan. Why saddle your rookie QB with a guy who couldn’t even last a season as a college assistant post Cowboys?

I did a bit of digging and saw that some media members felt that Meyer’s challenges would be his lack of a robust NFL network. His college network spread vastly but he never had the time/place to build an NFL one. This started to become apparent with his coaching hires. Many bland and average guys who’ve been tied to him.

After the Linehan flirtation, Meyer followed it up with trying to hire a controversial strength coach and having to reverse decision post-locker room/media reaction. Both not as confusing as the Tebow signing, who now media report the coaches in the building are spilt on. Good luck with that one Urban. If the coaches are iffy then the locker room is probably the same.

Imagine if we hired him and he’d done all this, we’d be extremely skeptical at best. We’ll see how the team does on the field but I’m not encouraged. Lawrence may be his saving grace. I think we really dodged a bullet, though I’m not super into Mike McCarthy.

Dodging a bullet with Urban Meyer would be more meaningful if it weren't for the GM perennially blasting us with both barrels.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Can someone repost this at the end of the year when they have a better record than us

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There is just something not quite right with many of the decisions he, along with Baalke, has made. I am not convinced he is going to be successful.

jnday

Reaction score
NFL pressure is FARRRR greater. The moves Meyer has made thus far have already generated bad press.
A lot more money at stake in the NFL with ticket sales.
The biggest issue is in college you can recruit a 5 star walk in stud and Meyer was a top notch recruiter.
In the NFL he has to draft those guys.
The other issue is being handed Trevor Lawrence day 1 if he can't get that guy going quick, it tarnishes the jersey sales and excitement pretty fast.
The Owner will side with Trevor over Meyer and turn the staff over to get a QB guru in place to save the face of the franchise.
I don’t think Meyer is the type of coach that cares about what the media and talking heads say about him. It would surprise me if he cares about their opinion at all. Mock successful, confident coaches have more faith in their abilities to care about the media’s opinions.

jnday

Reaction score
I agree with the OP, Meyer would have been an unmitigated disaster as the head coach of the Cowboys.
Compared to the current coach that has been accused of having the lowest football IQ in the league, I would rather take my chances with Meyer. MM made some in-game decisions last year that would have made Garrett shake his head with confusion.i was really shocked that MM was that bad.

Qcard

Reaction score
I was part of the crowd who wanted Meyer badly. I thought he was just what we needed as a HC. But my opinion started to change when his leading candidate for OC was said to be Scott Linehan. Why saddle your rookie QB with a guy who couldn’t even last a season as a college assistant post Cowboys?

I did a bit of digging and saw that some media members felt that Meyer’s challenges would be his lack of a robust NFL network. His college network spread vastly but he never had the time/place to build an NFL one. This started to become apparent with his coaching hires. Many bland and average guys who’ve been tied to him.

After the Linehan flirtation, Meyer followed it up with trying to hire a controversial strength coach and having to reverse decision post-locker room/media reaction. Both not as confusing as the Tebow signing, who now media report the coaches in the building are spilt on. Good luck with that one Urban. If the coaches are iffy then the locker room is probably the same.

Imagine if we hired him and he’d done all this, we’d be extremely skeptical at best. We’ll see how the team does on the field but I’m not encouraged. Lawrence may be his saving grace. I think we really dodged a bullet, though I’m not super into Mike McCarthy.
The Trevor Lawrence Camp officially have their in-built excuse IF Trevor Lawrence is a bust.

Looking forward to seeing Trevor Lawrence play against as many NFL players as he played with at Clemson.

Trevor Sunshine Lawrence is overrated IMHO and Urban Myer will wish took Wilson or Fields