We don’t have the personnel to stop the run

YerocDeam

Reaction score
Well...how did DAL stop the run all year? This afternoon, we were introduced to the first guy to have a 100 yd. rushing day against the Cowboys.
They have got ahead of opponents early in the game and forced them to become one dimensional.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The DTs have been soft against the run for as long as I can remember. The LB core is also soft. The team is built to defend the pass. The plan last off season was to draft a plug and play DT to help the run defense. McLay thought that was Mazi Smith and you can hear on the war room video released him selling the Jones boys on Mazi. Well, Mazi obviously isn’t ready for prime time and the cowboys made no other significant moves to upgrade the run defense. We’ve see that bite us against SF and Buffalo. We have no answers to teams that committ to running the ball against us. It’s going to be a problem in January.

bigE79

Reaction score
Who is to say Dan Quinn did not advocate adding any late acquisitions to the defense? Brian Schottenheimer did not push for Trey Lance. He got him any way. As a surprise to boot.
I agree but for as much as Jerry likes DQ,I'm sure if Quinn would have asked for help, Jerry would have gotten someone..DE...I just don't know anymore about this team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The DTs have been soft against the run for as long as I can remember. The LB core is also soft. The team is built to defend the pass. The plan last off season was to draft a plug and play DT to help the run defense. McLay thought that was Mazi Smith and you can hear on the war room video released him selling the Jones boys on Mazi. Well, Mazi obviously isn’t ready for prime time and the cowboys made no other significant moves to upgrade the run defense. We’ve see that bite us against SF and Buffalo. We have no answers to teams that commit to running the ball against us. It’s going to be a problem in January.
Mazi has his flaws...but tonight wasn't his fault. People aren't ready to have the discussion of why those outside runs killed us today......it sure as hell aint' because of our interior.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree but for as much as Jerry likes DQ,I'm sure if Quinn would have asked for help, Jerry would have gotten someone..DE...I just don't know anymore about this team.
I don't think so. I think ultimately Quinn and McCarthy coach who they bring in. I don't think they are big table pounders for talent and rightfully so. As a coach you believe you can coach whoever you have. Maranelli use to take pride in getting the most out of the George Selvie's of the word.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones has been in the mix since 1989. I am not convinced but I could be 100% wrong as well.

I know of the team's potential. It still instills some sense of hope. What I do not know is whether the team knows it. And when I say team, I mean, players, coaches and even people from Arkansas shacking in the front office.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Wow...an actual football related thread and not someone who's jumping off of the Dak train, who's done with the season or who's looking to fire the coach of a 10-win team who had won 5 straight before today.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Sure Hankins would have helped today, but the personnel in DQs scheme are too small to get off run blocks. It’s a flaw inherent to the profiles he’s looking for to pressure the QB and cover in the passing game. Furthermore, their tackling is atrocious. It seems like they are trying to make the big hit or strip the ball instead of wrapping up. Pursuit angles were also terrible.
Agreed 100%. This is a quick, play-making defense. Not a stout defense. I don't even think they quit today. They were up against a team that is way better than most around here realize and was also super motivated. And the Bills out muscled them with the run game. And the offense sucked.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When I saw them loading up on micahs side and running to that side I knew they watched niner film. And of course we don't adjust and just let them run strongside
Nope. And I secretly have been fearing this because I remember when Siranni did it last season. Teams don't do it more often and i'm not sure why. Its not even really a Micah issue because like you said there's ways to combat it but they just won't.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
It’s always been about the LB’s folks. The 2007 Gents couldn’t stop the run either. But they didn’t need to. This is a passing league. Outside of SF, we won’t face a running team until we play Buffalo in the SB.
Delusional.