We don’t have the personnel to stop the run

Bagman

Reaction score
It’s always been about the LB’s folks. The 2007 Gents couldn’t stop the run either. But they didn’t need to. This is a passing league. Outside of SF, we won’t face a running team until we play Buffalo in the SB.
Buffalo is going to miss the playoffs

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Most big runs attacked the outside lanes
Yeah mazi is low hanging fruit. If people think Mazi lost us the game or Hankins was the savior just spark up the draft zone right now. In reality Dan Quinn needs to wake up

Brooksey

Reaction score
Sure Hankins would have helped today, but the personnel in DQs scheme are too small to get off run blocks. It’s a flaw inherent to the profiles he’s looking for to pressure the QB and cover in the passing game. Furthermore, their tackling is atrocious. It seems like they are trying to make the big hit or strip the ball instead of wrapping up. Pursuit angles were also terrible.
Missing LVE and Hankins

kskboys

Reaction score
Sure Hankins would have helped today, but the personnel in DQs scheme are too small to get off run blocks. It’s a flaw inherent to the profiles he’s looking for to pressure the QB and cover in the passing game. Furthermore, their tackling is atrocious. It seems like they are trying to make the big hit or strip the ball instead of wrapping up. Pursuit angles were also terrible.
Yup.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well...how did DAL stop the run all year? This afternoon, we were introduced to the first guy to have a 100 yd. rushing day against the Cowboys.
First "guy"? What in the world does one guy have to do w/ it? ARI and SF ran all over us. Why does it matter to you whether it was one guy? We lost because we couldn't stop the run, not because we couldn't stop one guy.

I swear, you guys have the strangest ways of thinking.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t place full responsibility on Jerry for the personnel decisions. I believe he fully trusts Quinn and gets him players that fit a certain profile.
Ahem. Jerry is responsible for personnel. THINK.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The DTs have been soft against the run for as long as I can remember. The LB core is also soft. The team is built to defend the pass. The plan last off season was to draft a plug and play DT to help the run defense. McLay thought that was Mazi Smith and you can hear on the war room video released him selling the Jones boys on Mazi. Well, Mazi obviously isn’t ready for prime time and the cowboys made no other significant moves to upgrade the run defense. We’ve see that bite us against SF and Buffalo. We have no answers to teams that committ to running the ball against us. It’s going to be a problem in January.
Truth.

That 4-2-5 defense is soft vs run too.

Our DEs crash down and really don’t defend the C gaps.

CWR

Reaction score
Well...how did DAL stop the run all year? This afternoon, we were introduced to the first guy to have a 100 yd. rushing day against the Cowboys.
They haven't been terrible but I don't trust them at all, because they have been terrific at scripting games away from it.

Reminds me of 2014 when we came off a historically bad defense but ranked decently that year because the run game mauled everyone and kept the defense off the field.

Bagman

Reaction score
Mazi has his flaws...but tonight wasn't his fault. People aren't ready to have the discussion of why those outside runs killed us today......it sure as hell aint' because of our interior.
Of course they aren't. Its our Golden God. He can do no wrong. Except when he plays hero ball as the QB or RB go roaring past him for 20 yd gains. It's almost like sacks are more important than stopping the run. Hmmm

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I would imagine it's pretty hard to fill all the holes necessary on a defensive line, so wouldn't a solid team be able to have success without having the gifted a start at each position? Our run defense isn't remotely funny, nor have we been missing just 1 player for the last number of years and it doesn't seem like we have a response with how to deal with this

Bagman

Reaction score
First "guy"? What in the world does one guy have to do w/ it? ARI and SF ran all over us. Why does it matter to you whether it was one guy? We lost because we couldn't stop the run, not because we couldn't stop one guy.

I swear, you guys have the strangest ways of thinking.
Great post. It's like some of our fans think it's ok to have 4 opponents all run for 90 yds each. Ummm thats 360 yds rushing. Not good. Who cares if a back goes for 100. Its total yards rushing that matter.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
So while Bosa was telling us out of the one side of his mouth how to beat the Eagles, he was telling the Bills out of the other side of his mouth how to beat the Cowboys.

This topic is correct. We don’t have the personnel to stop the run - if we play straight up. Quinn will have to come up with something schematically to counter this deficiency. Sorry outside guys - you’re on your own.

In the off-season they’ll have to take a serious deep dive at how to remedy being manhandled.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
We're light on LBs and needed 7 bigger guys in the box at all times.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course they aren't. Its our Golden God. He can do no wrong. Except when he plays hero ball as the QB or RB go roaring past him for 20 yd gains. It's almost like sacks are more important than stopping the run. Hmmm
Aye I love the guy but I see fans constantly moving from player to player on who to blame this rush defense on and i'm literally watching on my TV guys attacking Micah's side and running at him.

YerocDeam

Reaction score
Ahem. Jerry is responsible for personnel. THINK.
You’re right on that. I should have chose my words more carefully. My point was that Jerry seems to be deferring to DQ on some of the personnel decisions because we have so many players that fit a certain profile.