Twitter: We forget, selecting Zeke 4th overall was more about Romo, not Dak

glimmerman

Reaction score
This logic is hilarious. Romo had shown zero up to that point that he could lead a team even close to a Super Bowl but so many just pencil it in as Romo would easily win it.

Tell me, how much better would Romo have played in the Packers playoff game? Dallas got the #1 seed. Romo could not have did better than that (obviously). Dak's playoff game against GB was magnificent, especially for a rookie. He only made one single mistake and brought this team back from 21-3 to tie the game and could have won it had Garrett not played for the tie at the end and spiking the ball. Also, that defense was horrendous. Romo has never shown he can overcome a terrible defense to take a team anywhere.

But yall can have the fairty tale Super Bowl people love to give Romo for 2016....
Yes it’s my fairytale SB. Stop peeing on it.:lmao2:

John813

Reaction score
They were wrong then and are still wrong.

Elliott is a player that can be a cornerstone of an offense. Ramsey is not a cornerstone player on his own defense. In fact, good luck getting a cornerback that has that kind of effect. That kind of player comes along once in a generation. Only Sanders and Revis have had trans-formative effects on their teams. Ramsey is not in that ball park.

I agree with you. But I feel he has the talent to be a Revis-like if he stays committed and doesn't lose focus.
While it was just sound bites here and there, it felt like last year he was acting like was already some badass corner and talking trash on everyone. Ate the cheese only after one good year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yeah, but it was another playoff game where the defense gave up 30+ (Cowboys have never won such a game) so Romo would've needed to effortlessly put up 40. I'm hoping someday to see another defense that can clamp down when necessary in the playoffs.

Look at last season. New England only put up 13 points but their defense saved them in the SB. Against the Chiefs their offense carried them. Too often this century the pressure has been on the Cowboys offense to overcome their own defense, and we see how many rings that has gotten them.

Agree.

Take a look at the 1970 team.

The defense carried them to the Super Bowl.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I was surprised that they didn’t give Romo the team back. My guess is that the last injury was worse than we knew. Or it happened so easy that he wouldn’t have made it the rest of the year. Would love to have the trophy but not of Rome ends up in a wheelchair over it.
History has always shown a rookie QB not winning the super bowl. My guess is that the team knew they were getting rid of him after they won 5 in a row at the time. Like they didn't even care about the flaws, they just saw the results and jersey sales and all was good. Our team will continue to make key mistakes even when they get other things right.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I really think that this FO wants to keep Elliot long term. If he can keep himself out of trouble and healthy then he is a game changer. That close game when Dak hit him on that long pass showed me he is complete. Made the catch like it was nothing. Gonna be a chunk of change and we really have 2 years to make up our minds. I think he would sit out if we tried to tag him.
I see a lot of staying out of trouble bonuses that look like performance incentives built into the contract

glimmerman

Reaction score
I see a lot of staying out of trouble bonuses that look like performance incentives built into the contract
If he will sign that kind of contract then I would have no problem. Maybe even extend him after this year instead of using the option year. His running style will change as he gets older or he will flame out early on us.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Did not want to start a thread on this but this was a pretty hot take from Jeff Cavanaugh:

He had me until the suggestion that trading a three for Duke Johnson was somehow going to come close to matching what we lose if Elliott were traded.

Yeah, just stupid.

Dallas wants to sign Elliott long term. He acts like Dallas doesn’t and they’re going to let him walk in free agency.

Camp needs to hurry up and start. IQ’s are dropping sharply in these dog days of the off season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They were wrong then and are still wrong.

Elliott is a player that can be a cornerstone of an offense. Ramsey is not a cornerstone player on his own defense. In fact, good luck getting a cornerback that has that kind of effect. That kind of player comes along once in a generation. Only Sanders and Revis have had trans-formative effects on their teams. Ramsey is not in that ball park.
Every now and then you write something that I 100% agree with and I’m like, “What the hell??? What’s up?”

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dallas wants to sign Elliott long term. He acts like Dallas doesn’t and they’re going to let him walk in free agency.
I don't think he believes that. He is more suggesting what he would do. Doesn't make it any more illogical, but hey.

erod

Reaction score
It was a NOW pick. It made perfect sense at the time, and he wasn't a typical back. I supported it.

However.....in most draft, there are very good backs drafted in the later rounds.

Not in 2016 though. Other than Zeke and Henry, that was a weak running back draft.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would people think it Zeke was only a short term pick for Romo? The Cowboys had clearly established that they wanted a strong running element to their offense, and it's ludicrous to think the Cowboys only thought that was important as long as Romo was the QB. Picking Zeke was simply an indication that they were serious about maintaining a strong running element in their offensive scheme and style.

Teams rarely, if ever, make decisions solely for short term gratification with no concern for how it affects the team long term. Obviously priorities can shift a little depending on how close a team feels it is to winning it all, but it's unlikely the Cowboys or other teams would be willing to completely ignore long term goals with high first round pick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have to agree there. Romo's passing with zekes home run ability in year one would have made it almost impossible to stop us defensively. Dak played well. I have no doubt in my mind that Romo would have been better going into the playoffs. If he could stay healthy. That's the question for me. Dak is far more durable. It was almost impossible to give the reins back to Romo on an 11 game win streak
now you went and done it....all the Dak Fanatics are going to be on you like white on rice.....you asked for it....:grin:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This logic is hilarious. Romo had shown zero up to that point that he could lead a team even close to a Super Bowl but so many just pencil it in as Romo would easily win it.

Tell me, how much better would Romo have played in the Packers playoff game? Dallas got the #1 seed. Romo could not have did better than that (obviously). Dak's playoff game against GB was magnificent, especially for a rookie. He only made one single mistake and brought this team back from 21-3 to tie the game and could have won it had Garrett not played for the tie at the end and spiking the ball. Also, that defense was horrendous. Romo has never shown he can overcome a terrible defense to take a team anywhere.

But yall can have the fairty tale Super Bowl people love to give Romo for 2016....
would the offense struggled in the first half with Romo? so we had to make a furious come back....we got in a hole real quick that changed the game...we did come back in the end, but may not have needed to...