We got the wrong Purdue pass rusher

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Purdue had 3 pass rushing DE's who have become NFL starters over the past few years...

Shaun Phillips San Diego 6-3/262 2004 4th rounder Averages 7.5 Sacks
Ray Edwards Minnesota 6-5/268 2006 4th rounder Averages 4.5 Sacks
Anthony Spencer Dallas 6-3/255 2007 1st rounder Averages 2 Sacks

Man, we spent the highest pick and are getting the least production. I remember watching the 2007 combine and they kept highlighting Spencer (and his ridiculous frohawk). They kept saying how he will be another Phillips and that any team running the 3-4 should take notice. I kept thinking he was way too stiff and did not look athletic at all.

Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for Spencer to show some consistency. I'd hate it if our 2006 AND 2007 1st rounders were Busts. That kind of thing can put a franchise back 5 years. You can't miss on 1st round picks.

Assuming we get Ware signed before next off-season and if Spencer doesn't come through, we should look at free agents like Ray Edwards, Julius Peppers, and Shawne Merriman. Ware needs some help in the worst way. teams are focusing on and negating him. I think our secondary needs better safeties as well but even the best DB will get beat if opposing QB's aren't being pressured. I know Peppers and Merriman are prima donnas but we have to do something to make our defense formidable again.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
I've been nothing but disappointed with Spencer thus far.

I won't call him a bust yet, but he's looking more like Bobby Carpenter every game.

The Denver game... how do you let that pass to Moreno get by you? And your facemask on Orton robbed Ware of his first half sack, as well as gave the Bronco's first down & 15 yards.

Try making a play for Dallas.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I think Merriman to Dallas is a VERY high possiblity. He's not getting resigned by the Chargers and Jerry will have a chance to have Ware AND Merriman. It would almost be unstoppable. I'd use Spencer as a chip to move up in the draft then.

How ironic that we would both have them after the huge debate in 2005.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Bob, I like Butler and B Williams. Do you think either will be in a position to be a fully functional 3-4 OLB next year? Maybe we go with a Spencer/Butler rotation over there. I'm for whatever works.

BTW, I think Brandon Williams is the starter in a few years, assuming we don't sign a major free agent. He's only 21 and even though it sucks that he won't be able to practice this year, he gets a whole year to get stronger with NFL trainers. Hopefully he puts in the work.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3001120 said:
Bob, I like Butler and B Williams. Do you think either will be in a position to be a fully functional 3-4 OLB next year? Maybe we go with a Spencer/Butler rotation over there. I'm for whatever works.

BTW, I think Brandon Williams is the starter in a few years, assuming we don't sign a major free agent. He's only 21 and even though it sucks that he won't be able to practice this year, he gets a whole year to get stronger with NFL trainers. Hopefully he puts in the work.

I think by the end of the year, Butler will have worked his way into major playing time

the dude is obviously very smart, and picks things up quickly and/or works extremely hard studying the playbook