We have officially entered a rebuilding phase

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
With the way last season played out and knowing the NFL quite intimately and how it revolves in cycles. It’s time for us fans to accept that the Dallas Cowboys have now 100% entered into a rebuilding state. This “all in” nonsense is just a sales pitch from the top office to keep you fans interested by dangling a carrot in front of your face. The Cowboys will not be near as good as they were last season and before the season starts this team will erode even further. They are not all in. They shot their wad last season and now too many are leaving. They will need to rebuild.

My question is to Jerry and Company, if you’ve now accepted what’s obvious that you’re going into rebuilding mode, and this will be Dak’s last year etc, why didn’t you just bring in a new coach?

This off-season has turned into an absolute circus and the sad reality is, it’s only just begun. This team is going to be a 500 team at best next year. And I’ve been following these Cowboys and been a fan since 1972. I’ve always respected Jerry, but after seeing the way he’s handled this off-season I’ve lost all respect. The guy is just a salesman at this point. Selling us a pipe that he knows is not gonna happen.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
With the way last season played out and knowing the NFL quite intimately and how it revolves in cycles. It’s time for us fans to accept that the Dallas Cowboys have now 100% entered into a rebuilding state. This “all in” nonsense is just a sales pitch from the top office to keep you fans interested by dangling a carrot in front of your face. The Cowboys will not be near as good as they were last season and before the season starts this team will erode even further. They are not all in. They shot their wad last season and now too many are leaving. They will need to rebuild.

My question is to Jerry and Company, if you’ve now accepted what’s obvious that you’re going into rebuilding mode, and this will be Dak’s last year etc, why didn’t you just bring in a new coach?

This off-season has turned into an absolute circus and the sad reality is, it’s only just begun. This team is going to be a 500 team at best next year. And I’ve been following these Cowboys and been a fan since 1972. I’ve always respected Jerry, but after seeing the way he’s handled this off-season I’ve lost all respect. The guy is just a salesman at this point. Selling us a pipe that he knows is not gonna happen.
Jerry Jones has zero clue how to run a successful football operation. He's a business conman rolled into one, knows how to make money. Its been staring us in the face since Jimmy left how inept this front office has been the results speak for themselves going on almost three decades. There is no hope as long as Jerrah has his grubby hands on the football operations and cap boy doesn't show much promise either unless he's willing to let real football people come in when Daddy is gone.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
The "All-in" was a complete lie, they're just conditioned to say what they are supposed to, it doesn't mean anything. I think he realized what he said was the opposite of what everyone is seeing and they don't want to be "all-in" so he's back peddling. They didn't bring in a new coach because they'd still have to pay McCarthy $4M.....it seams ridiculous but they are holding the show up because they don't want to pay a new coach and McCarthy at the same time. For some reason they are big on not paying coaches and having the head coach call his own plays so they don't have to pay big money for a OC/DC. Also that way the OC/DC doesn't get hired away and your HC has no clue how to call the plays. I thought Belichick would be perfect for the rebuild, but he will want more then $4M so not gonna happen.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The Cowboys are rebuilding but you can also say they are trying to get their books in order. You are entering a time where CeeDee and Micah want to be among the highest players in the game. As talented as both are I question their leadership ability. I don’t think the Cowboys can sign all three players (Dak, CeeDee, and Parsons) without one taking a hometown discount. Hypothetically can you really pay CeeDee 30 million a season, Parsons 35 million, and Dak 50+ million. I don’t see how that works.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score

There isn't a fan here who bought the "all in" bit. And they DID bring in the new HC in Zimmer.

rambo2

Reaction score

They might have 12 wins in 2024. The real circus is the big over reaction before the draft even takes place . Sure they could possibly have a down year, but they should have between 8 and 12 wins. The over reaction in here is the equivalent to the over reaction about the kicker last year. A lot of people have egg on their faces on that one.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hypothetically can you really pay CeeDee 30 million a season
True but if you're not keeping Dak, I'm not sure it makes sense to pay Cee Dee. In other words, I'm not pairing a $30M+ WR with a rookie QB. Parsons, yes I keep but I would trade CeeDee if Dak leaves. Now if Dak is replaced with another vet ( Wilson, Carr, Fields ) then yea, you keep him.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
They might have 12 wins in 2024. The real circus is the big over reaction before the draft even takes place . Sure they could possibly have a down year, but they should have between 8 and 12 wins. The over reaction in here is the equivalent to the over reaction about the kicker last year. A lot of people have egg on their faces on that one.
In today’s NFL, you never overpay a kicker because they are a dime a dozen and any kicker at the NFL level could go on a hot streak. Any of them can go on a cold streak. The all-time greats have ice running through their veins. But even with them once something gets in their head, it’s over. And never overpay a running back. Back in the 90s 90s, it was a different game and you could pay a guy like Emmitt Smith. Doing that in today’s league? Never works out.
As for the draft, I don’t care how good they are you’re still talking about rookies. If you look at first round draft picks alone throughout the NFL history, only one in four have an impact, a true impact on whatever team they drafted on that first year. so the draft, as good as it may be or bad as it may be isn’t going to change what we see happening right now this off-season. Reality is, in today’s league, your draft that you do this year usually pays out dividends two years later. And it doesn’t always pay direct dividends. It pays via bargaining chips for trades and so forth.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
True but if you're not keeping Dak, I'm not sure it makes sense to pay Cee Dee. In other words, I'm not pairing a $30M+ WR with a rookie QB. Parsons, yes I keep but I would trade CeeDee if Dak leaves. Now if Dak is replaced with another vet ( Wilson, Carr, Fields ) then yea, you keep him.
That makes no sense. CeeDee would be a young quarterback’s dream. Dak almost was the MVP because he decided to throw the football to CeeDee after week 4.CeeDee was our only offensive weapon last season that scared anyone.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
A good draft will put the team in a tenable position. They should still be good enough to compete for the division but the Eagles will clearly be favored.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is not a re-building phase. They did lose depth but really haven't lost much outside of that.

Tyron- Should be replaced by Tyler. Bass should start at LG
Biadesz- More experienced but not much better than Hoffman. I can see them taking a center but they needed better than B anyway.
Gilmore- This one i think will hurt the most. Gilmore, Diggs and Bland would have been a much tougher combo than Diggs, Bland, Lewis.
Hankins- Effective and cheap but very replaceable.
Pollard- They took a bad gamble him coming off a leg injury. He will probably be better this year both because of his health and being in a rotation. Plenty of decent RB's available.

If this was a re-building year then they need to trade away as many players as possible to aquire picks over the next couple years. Try and get as many early picks as possible, have 1-2 bad seasons so your own picks are top 5 while clearing cap space. Then you go all in while hopefully drafting better contributors than mazi and schoonmaker in the early rounds.

J817

Reaction score
Tools coming in a few weeks via draft
I knew you were going to say that. Majority of those tools in draft are going to require development. You will be lucky to get two starters from the upcoming draft (idk how deep it is). Depending on rookies in the draft is not retooling. Remember, all teams in the NFL draft. Are they all “retooling”?

Carson

Reaction score
I knew you were going to say that. Majority of those tools in draft are going to require development. You will be lucky to get two starters from the upcoming draft (idk how deep it is). Depending on rookies in the draft is not retooling. Remember, all teams in the NFL draft. Are they all “retooling”?
And I agree and have posted the same thing numerous times.

A rebuild is Washington did. Jerry would never do that

J817

Reaction score
This is not a re-building phase. They did lose depth but really haven't lost much outside of that.

Tyron- Should be replaced by Tyler. Bass should start at LG
Biadesz- More experienced but not much better than Hoffman. I can see them taking a center but they needed better than B anyway.
Gilmore- This one i think will hurt the most. Gilmore, Diggs and Bland would have been a much tougher combo than Diggs, Bland, Lewis.
Hankins- Effective and cheap but very replaceable.
Pollard- They took a bad gamble him coming off a leg injury. He will probably be better this year both because of his health and being in a rotation. Plenty of decent RB's available.

If this was a re-building year then they need to trade away as many players as possible to aquire picks over the next couple years. Try and get as many early picks as possible, have 1-2 bad seasons so your own picks are top 5 while clearing cap space. Then you go all in while hopefully drafting better contributors than mazi and schoonmaker in the early rounds.
I agree with this. They aren’t retooling or rebuilding. They are just running it back with less.

J817

Reaction score
And I agree and have posted the same thing numerous times.

A rebuild is Washington did. Jerry would never do that
Jerry feels he can’t do that, he’s 80. He just doesn’t know how to get resolve the dilemma of the current roster and coaching staff. Next year maybe a retool tho (if they get a new HC). I don’t think Dak is going anywhere.

ccb04

Reaction score
One would have to be new to the Cowboys, to not understand the way they operate. They have been consistently cheap in free agency since the Carr signing. And the Jones' operate like car salesman, with their pitches and promotion.

Teams that have paid a QB, will constantly have to retool/rebuild, as will teams that haven't found an answer at the position. Then add in the likes of top receivers, edge, etc...getting $30M.
The only team that hasn't suffered success wise after paying a QB and losing players, is the Chiefs. They traded away one of the best receivers in the league, and still won a super bowl. This year, they paid Jones, but traded away Snead. But they have one of the best ever at QB, the best HC, the best DT who owned the playoffs, a HOF TE who also owned the playoffs, etc.

The QB position has seen some bad contracts handed out relative to playoff success, etc; nature of the position & league.

- Browns/Watson: nuff said
- Ravens/Jackson: Like Prescott, Jackson has 2 wins in the playoffs. And Jackson benefits from one of the best/most stable organizations in the league.
- Bills/Allen: over the past 2 seasons, Allen was bad in the 2022 playoffs, and finished 2nd to Sam Howell for the most turnovers in 2023. They've had to cut starters to meet cap compliance.
- Chargers/Herbert: To date, Herbert is a .500 regular season QB and 0-1 in the playoffs.
- Giants/Jones: nuff said
- Broncos/Wilson: Disaster. Not only monetarily, but compensation wise.
- Cowboys/Prescott: Like Jackson, he can impress in the regular season, but has 2 wins in the playoffs.
- Kirk Cousins: he continues to be paid handsomely, despite a 1-4 career playoff record & routinely floundering in bigger moments.

Trevor Lawrence would be among those up for an extension soon...though he regressed last season, and finished 3rd in the league with 21 turnovers.