We have the chance to pick the best defensive player in the draft

kskboys

Reaction score
Am overused term

parsons is certainly not a generational talent. He has areas of his game they are still unproven and unknown

hea a fine player but hardly tthe second coming of Lawrence Taylor
He certainly is.

He's a MLB. Completely different type of player than Taylor, who was an OLB in a 3-4.

Agree that the term is overused.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Top defensive player according to various publications

Micah Parsons .....PFF (9th player overall)
Caleb Farley....The Draft Network (7th overall)
Parsons....ESPN general...(9)
Patrick Surtain....Daniel Jeremiah....(10th)
Farley....Sporting News...(10th)
Surtain...PFN (6th)
Parsons...Draft Lords (6)
Parsons....CBS (8)
Parsons...Mel Kiper (11..so none in top 10)

aikemirv

Reaction score
I’m with you. Surtain is so polished and started 38 straight games with big time competition, and Parsons is a game wrecker. Only worry I have with Parsons is sitting out last year.
Scouting report I read on Parsons was that he does not take on blocks well, does not play downhill. With our current Dline, he will get washed out on every play if that is the case.

kskboys

Reaction score
Scouting report I read on Parsons was that he does not take on blocks well, does not play downhill. With our current Dline, he will get washed out on every play if that is the case.
"Rips through would-be blockers like a tornado, putting on a clinic when it comes to disengaging w/o sacrificing yardage."

What's the source that says otherwise? Just curious.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok, But I don't think your allowed to bite the defenders head off!
Would fill the seats though.
Reminds me of a funny: "Walt Garrison ripped through the line for a nice gain. MLB Butkus pretty much screamed at him: "Try to come through here and again and I'll bite your head off!!!"

Garrison: "Well, that'd be the first time you ever had brains in your head!!"

Beaker42

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a home run but he would be a good pick that I wouldn't complain about and I respect your opinion. He is the highest rated OL in the draft and he moves extremely well for a big man but he does have some work to do on blocking technique, the ideal arm length for OT is 34" and his are 33.25" (Slater's are 1/4" shorter at 33"), and Slater was stronger at least in the bench press at their pro days with three more reps.
Slater is an OG - Sewell is a prototypical LT. We have 18 OG’s already and need Tyron’s apprentice NOW. Move Collins back to LG where he belongs and pencil Sewell in at RT until he needs to move to LT then find a true RT then.

morasp

Reaction score
Slater is an OG - Sewell is a prototypical LT. We have 18 OG’s already and need Tyron’s apprentice NOW. Move Collins back to LG where he belongs and pencil Sewell in at RT until he needs to move to LT then find a true RT then.
At LT he shut Chase Young down for the whole game. You know the WFT's number one pick who we get to face twice a year now. How did Sewell do against him? Playing LT Slater's blocking technique is very advanced.

aikemirv

Reaction score
"Rips through would-be blockers like a tornado, putting on a clinic when it comes to disengaging w/o sacrificing yardage."

What's the source that says otherwise? Just curious.

https://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2021OLB.php

I am not a draft guru or have even watched him play. I don't do a lot of research on it either. This is just one of the sources I know of and I was just reading it yesterday so don't berate me if they are not reliable.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised to hear you say that.

I agree that if he slides to 10, and I do think that's possible...they have to take him and not look back, but seems like you're willing to move up for him and sacrifice improving in other spots.

Is it about not thinking Tyron can return to form, or about Sewell himself?
We have 10 picks this draft. That's a great deal of draft capital. It should be used to get the exact players we need rather than waiting for whatever falls to us. We can do this and still fix other spots on the team, you suggesting I'm saying otherwise is just unwise. I think we can use Sewell as a Guard until such time that Tyron or Collins needs to be replaced at Tackle.

Hardline

Reaction score
There are three offensive players that justify taking over defense if they are still on the board.
Pitts
Sewell
Chase
And possibly Slater.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. This franchise and its knuckle-dragger fans are addicted to offense.

And the offense will get blamed for losses like Seattle and Cleveland. Where the defense was god awful when it mattered and the offense did enough to win. The alarming stat where this team is winless or almost winless when it did not score 30 or more. This defense can not be counted on at all. We are lacking of talent on that side, especially in the middle of this defense (DT, LB, safety). This front office does not value the DT or safety at all and then we wonder why playoff games like the Rams happen too often. And the last 2 years, this defense was so soft up the middle. We build the defense outside in, because DE and DB are the "sexy" positions.

I can't believe people actually want to draft Pitts with a top 10 pick. A freaking TE. We have plenty of offense to win games but our defense is so terrible, the narrative is always we don't win because the offense can't score 40 a game.

kskboys

Reaction score
Without an impact defensive player, I think we go conservative. Parson could turn out to be a dominant linebacker. But I just don't trust him on the Cowboys. I'm not convinced even if we change coaches our culture and climate is going to change. For a player like Surtain, who has been, essentially, been training to become a football player, his background may be enough to keep him on the straight and narrow and not have him succumb to the Cowboy culture.

But for a player like Parson. I just fear he's going to be another Jaylon Smith if he comes here. If he goes to a team like the Ravens, he'll be an all-pro by his second or third year.

Where a player lands makes a huge difference, and, unfortunately, I don't think the Cowboys culture is suitable to make raw players great - not unless they bring that with them.

As much as I knock Dak, he has an "IT" factor that allows him to transcend the Cowboys culture. He's a hard worker and will succeed as far as his talent will take him.
I don't have the same opinion of Zeke or anyone on the defense, except for LVE, and he's oft injured.

Sorry, but 25 years of futility has altered my perceptions of this team and its sustainability as a contender over the long haul.

Why in the world are people comparing Parsons to Jaylon? As someone said, they're pretty much polar opposites. Jaylon is a tall gazelle better suited for OLB, Parsons is beyond athletic and instinctive and is a MLB. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

kskboys

Reaction score
https://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2021OLB.php

I am not a draft guru or have even watched him play. I don't do a lot of research on it either. This is just one of the sources I know of and I was just reading it yesterday so don't berate me if they are not reliable.
Not berating at all, just discussing!!!!!! I love to banter and exchange ideas.