We have the chance to pick the best defensive player in the draft

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why in the world are people comparing Parsons to Jaylon? As someone said, they're pretty much polar opposites. Jaylon is a tall gazelle better suited for OLB, Parsons is beyond athletic and instinctive and is a MLB. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.
It doesnt matter, no way jerry takes a LB with the # 10 pick. (I would bet the farm on this)
He likes his guys and thinks quinn can get them to do better.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why in the world are people comparing Parsons to Jaylon? As someone said, they're pretty much polar opposites. Jaylon is a tall gazelle better suited for OLB, Parsons is beyond athletic and instinctive and is a MLB. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

I'm talking about potential. Jaylon Smith had MAJOR potential. The injury derailed that. And I believe he wasn't helped much in the coaching department either.

Similarly, Parson has MAJOR potential. But there are some intangibles I don't like with him. And combined with THIS TEAM, I just don't think he'll thrive here. I think he will succumb to the culture and another talented player will not reach his potential.

That's the way I see it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Who would have thought at #10 we have the possibility to pick the best defensive player in the draft? While it appears to be a down year for defense, we still could have the pick of the litter with it looking like offense will go with the first 9 picks. Pretty amazing.

Who’s your selection? Both tackles and Pitts are gone.

I don’t want this to be viewed as a punt but I trade down. Horn, Surtain, Barmore, and Moehrig would all help. I think you can trade down in Round 1, pick up a 2 and still land one of these guys.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a home run but he would be a good pick that I wouldn't complain about and I respect your opinion. He is the highest rated OL in the draft and he moves extremely well for a big man but he does have some work to do on blocking technique, the ideal arm length for OT is 34" and his are 33.25" (Slater's are 1/4" shorter at 33"), and Slater was stronger at least in the bench press at their pro days with three more reps.
1/4”?????

starfan1

Reaction score
Agreed. Only thing on Parsons is one year. But the one year may be working for us. If he played this year and destroyed it, he would probably be a top 5 pick.

So Surtain is the safe pick, Parsons could be that EXACT monster we need with more uncertainty. I have no doubt, however, that with proper research and scouting that those questions should be answered by now.

I just think that with Jerry laying out hope for Jaylon and LVE, that he may not take Parsons. But the Cowboys havent said one peep about Parsons. Not a word about linebacker or anything. They did the same things with Zeke.

Im liking LB as my pick tell me your thoughts on Zaven collins. Im hearing hes a beast on the level of Parsons or close anyway

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Who would have thought at #10 we have the possibility to pick the best defensive player in the draft? While it appears to be a down year for defense, we still could have the pick of the litter with it looking like offense will go with the first 9 picks. Pretty amazing.

Who’s your selection? Both tackles and Pitts are gone.

Horn would be my pick, but if they prefer Surtain that's understandable. I'm not interested in Parsons at 10.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you nailed it with Jerry loving LVE and Jaylon. If they draft a LB early that tells us a lot. LB is one of our biggest needs IMO.

Yep, after this year, you have to think LVE and Jaylon are gone. We basically have no one. LB has to be a major priority in this draft.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don’t want this to be viewed as a punt but I trade down. Horn, Surtain, Barmore, and Moehrig would all help. I think you can trade down in Round 1, pick up a 2 and still land one of these guys.

Who’s trading up and for whom? If 9 offensive players go it leaves the likes of Smith and Waddle left most likely.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Im liking LB as my pick tell me your thoughts on Zaven collins. Im hearing hes a beast on the level of Parsons or close anyway

I have read 1 thing on Collins so I am no expert. It said he was basically a finesse type linebacker that was great in coverage, but suspect in the run game. Doesnt have the instincts there despite is larger size.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Who’s trading up and for whom? If 9 offensive players go it leaves the likes of Smith and Waddle left most likely.

I know. I do think if Lance or Jones drops to 10 NE, NO and Chicago definitely get involved.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Zaven Collins, Tulsa
Cosell: "Collins is a totally different guy. He's 6-foot-5, 259 pounds, and he plays like an athlete, not like a physical guy. It's strange to say but a guy who's basically 260, he's more of an athletic space, run-and-chase, finesse linebacker than a physical power player despite the size. He's got excellent athleticism. When you see him run, he runs like a much smaller man, he's got a range, he's got speed. "He made some interceptions this year, when he was returning, he looked like a big running back. I think in one game he ended the game – I forget who it was against – with a 96-yard interception return for a touchdown. And when he was running, he looked like just a big running back. I'm not gonna sit here and say he looked like Derrick Henry, but he just got a big running back [look]. "He did not play with a lot of physicality, that's the thing that needs to be developed. Can he play that way? But he's a very multi-dimensional and multi-positional guy, that's the way he was used at Tulsa. He kind of reminded me of the way Bill Belichick uses Kyle Van Noy, but Collins is just a much much bigger man than Kyle Van Noy."

LittleD

Reaction score
The way to score often is maximize possessions, which is done by your defense getting off the field.

All those shiny weapons won't look so great on the sidelines when the other team controls the LOS and the clock.

If our offense is that good that it can't be stopped, 40+ points a game will defeat the best defense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If our offense is that good that it can't be stopped, 40+ points a game will defeat the best defense.
Could SWEAR I heard all about "fortyburger" when Lamb fell into their lap.

Doesn't really work that way.

If an NBA team puts together five 35ppg scorers, they wouldn't score 165 every night, or probably ever.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That fine as long as the best defensive player would go in a similar in any other draft. The question is are we benefiting from an uber talented Qb and pass catcher class or is this just a bad draft for defensive talent?

LittleD

Reaction score
Could SWEAR I heard all about "fortyburger" when Lamb fell into their lap.

Doesn't really work that way.

If an NBA team puts together five 35ppg scorers, they wouldn't score 165 every night, or probably ever.

Dak was gone most of last season. Doubt many teams could cover our receivers with Pitts in the mix.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dak was gone most of last season. Doubt many teams could cover our receivers with Pitts in the mix.
Go back and watch the game at Washington.

Add Dak and Pitts to Dallas and tell me it makes a difference in the outcome.

You can add Winslow Sr. also and Dallas still gets smoked.