We may lose Al Harris to DC job

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Unless he's still under contract for 2024. He was hired in 2020. The standard contracts for position coaches are generally 2 years, meaning this could be the final year of his 2nd two-year contract. IF has an expiring contract, he's free to take any offers from other teams, if not, Jerry can block any interviews except for the HC job.
Hell, if I'm Jerry, I'm doing everything to keep him as Quinn's replacement.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Offseason issue….will worry about that when the time comes and if it does. For 2 years now we thought DQ would be gone also. This is a good problem to have during the season. In the offseason if DQ stays it’s a win and if DQ left maybe harris gets the gig.

Either way we have them for the remainder of the year

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Unless he's still under contract for 2024. He was hired in 2020. The standard contracts for position coaches are generally 2 years, meaning this could be the final year of his 2nd two-year contract. IF has an expiring contract, he's free to take any offers from other teams, if not, Jerry can block any interviews except for the HC job.

Not a might, but HE WILL!!!!!!!

coult44

Reaction score

That’s life in the NFL. And guess what, if he gets that opportunity, he deserves it: The man is a beast. DQ has developed him into a great coach. Add that to being a “player type guy” and he should get his opportunity. Buttttttt, there is the Terry factor also. Jerry could say this. “Hold on Al, stay with DQ, because if Big Mike screws up you might be the DC for DQ right here in Dallas.”

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Agree 100% but what's great about being a fan, we can talk about the past, present, and future of our team(s).

Hey if u find it fun to talk about losing coaching staff have at it…I’m not gonna tell u how to fan. To me I’d rather focus on the 8-3 record and trying to win the division but don’t let me spoil the party

conner01

Reaction score
Would hate to lose him but if he does get a DC gig, I believe we would get a comp pick? Or does it have to be a higher position than DC?

49ers got 3, 3rd round picks for minority hires.
If you lose a minority coach you get a 3rd round comp. Looking at the rule it looks like they have to be hired away as an executive or HC

Reid1boys

Reaction score
who cares.... wait, let me rephrase..... I dont give one damn about ANY coach. They come and go year after year afyer year.

Hey, how great is that guy in Washington doing with no Mahomes????

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Is he qualified for a DC?

Coaching DBs is one thing, but running an entire defense and scheme with play calling? I don't know.
That’s generally how these coaches progress. Successful position coaches move up to coordinator spots or even directly HC. So yeah, I would think he’s as qualified as many of the others who have been promoted.

pitt33

Reaction score
There's no coaching salary cap. Jerry could money whip him into staying.
Absolutely.

And you know if there wasn’t a salary cap Jerry would sign as many great players as he could.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Only way I see him leaving is if Quinn takes him with him but even then our DC job would be open and he would be a strong candidate. If we lose him oh well. This is apart of the NFL. You lose talent and coaches.

That being said….hes not known as a DC. I’m sure as a cornerbacks coach he’d be in high demand but he’s under contract.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Harris could probably get a DC gig, and if he receives an offer for one, he'd be dumb to remain as a position coach in Dallas. Not only is the salary increase enormous, but you also get a lot more authority and control.

All of a sudden, you're the playcaller on game day, you're in the draft war room, you're hiring your own defensive staff, etc. Unless you have a defensive minded HC to jockey with, it's like going from the passenger's seat to the driver's seat.

Last edited:

mathew1184

Reaction score

I don’t think we let Harris and Quinn walk unless they each have head coaching offers. Either Harris leaves and Quinn Stays or Quinn leaves and we offer the DC job to Harris who I think would stay to coach this group.

If we let both get away we’re idiots.