We may lose Al Harris to DC job

Momanpr100

Reaction score
That’s life in the NFL. And guess what, if he gets that opportunity, he deserves it: The man is a beast. DQ has developed him into a great coach. Add that to being a “player type guy” and he should get his opportunity. Buttttttt, there is the Terry factor also. Jerry could say this. “Hold on Al, stay with DQ, because if Big Mike screws up you might be the DC for DQ right here in Dallas.”
Mike is doing a great job. He's the one who hired Harris. If it's between Quinn and Mike, I rather have Mike.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I dont think he proved enough to be a DC. But if he get a promotion good for him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Joe Witt Jr. Is supposedly in a higher coaching rank than al Harris, and I thought he was interviewed for a DC gig before.a couple years back.

Just like kris Richard, (as he was and is a very highly regarded DB coach too), maybe Harris will evely be sought out as a DC too. ala Leslie Frazier, Rhame Harris, Aaron Glenn, etc.

shabazz

Reaction score
If you lose a minority coach you get a 3rd round comp. Looking at the rule it looks like they have to be hired away as an executive or HC
Is there any compensation for Appalachian , Amish, or Romanichal Gypsy hirings?

so hard to keep up

Praxit

Reaction score
..in the world of NFL. Everyone knows the grass isnt always greener on other side.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Guy has been great and would hate to lose him but will wish him well if he gets a DC job. Well deserved to get a shot.
Agree.

He’s one of the few successful coaches that big Mike brought with him.

They play hard.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
IM plenty chill... but jumping on the bandwagon of some guy because Bland is going off is ridiculous. And no, I have no knowledge on if he is ready to be a coordinator, thats why I dont make such a statement. Guys "Play for him?"bahahhaah... yea, players need a coach to play hard. Maybe its just that the player is good... then we want to give some coach all the credit for a player's success.

Why is it Purdy looks great and Lance looked like trash? Same coach "developing," them, no?

I haven’t jumped on his bandwagon. I’ve been hyping him up since he’s been here. I’ve stated before that I believe this guy is going to follow in the path of a DC and if DQ leaves, he’s the guy I’d like to see them Take a hard look at.

You literally took a single comment I made and made it into something ridiculous. Have a good one!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I would hate to lose him, but he has absolutely deserved every opportunity coming his way.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Unless he's still under contract for 2024. He was hired in 2020. The standard contracts for position coaches are generally 2 years, meaning this could be the final year of his 2nd two-year contract. IF has an expiring contract, he's free to take any offers from other teams, if not, Jerry can block any interviews except for the HC job.
Hell, if I'm Jerry, I'm doing everything to keep him as Quinn's replacement.

He may end up the Dallas DC if Quinn leaves

Ken

Reaction score
I didn't know that was a thing. Did we get a comp pick for Moore?
No, has to be a minority hire. 49ers got 3 3rd round picks for three black HC hires this past year. Including Mcdaniels...lol

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry better extend him because i would not doubt that DQ will be offered a new HC gig after this season. Harris would not be a bad in house replacement.

Creeper

Reaction score
Unless he's still under contract for 2024. He was hired in 2020. The standard contracts for position coaches are generally 2 years, meaning this could be the final year of his 2nd two-year contract. IF has an expiring contract, he's free to take any offers from other teams, if not, Jerry can block any interviews except for the HC job.
Hell, if I'm Jerry, I'm doing everything to keep him as Quinn's replacement.

And any team that hires him as a DC gets a 3rd round comp pick along with a good coach. The Cowboys get nothing for getting him to where he is now.

GMO415

Reaction score
Love how fans wait for the off season to end so we can watch actual football and start real football topics.

Some look forward to off season topics during a playoff fight.......tales all kinds

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he qualified for a DC?

Coaching DBs is one thing, but running an entire defense and scheme with play calling? I don't know.
Of course he's qualified, he has more than enough on his resume for that. If the only thing that qualifies you for being a DC is already being a DC, then, well, you see the problem.

Whether he'll be a good DC or not, that remains to be seen, but you can't know until he gets the job.