We need a few moves to be a truly dominant D!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have work to do to become THE DOMINANT Defense in the NFL, but it is definitely doable( what I mean by dominant is less than 14 points a game).

We need to pursued Wagner to come to Dallas. Micah should be recruiting right now!

We need to resign Hankins and sign another big run stuffing DT. Resign Watkins as a rotation player( good player who is under rated). Possibly draft the quick smallish DT from Pitt( pass rush ).

Hopefully, Sam Williams makes a 2nd year jump. He has the potential to be really good if not dominant! Does he want to be great? He has ALL the physical tools!

Have Micah add 15-20 lbs and attack the QB from all over the LOS.

This D is already set at CB and Safety!!

With these moves/improvements we still have draft capital to improve the OL and possibly grab Hopkins in FA!

Run Ist offense with Dak driving the bus!
Good post, but disagree Micah adding weight, not that much anyway. Does not matter if muscle weight, that can effect his style as well.
5 to 10 maybe, not even sure about that. What they need to do is add another LB that can spell him at times so he is not as gassed at the end of the games.
Or as you said, Sam Williams makes a huge leap in his 2nd year. And then Micah can be better used strategically.

morasp

Reaction score
Knowing the NFL there's a good chance we'll meet the 49ers again in the playoffs. They did better this time against the run but they didn't seem to have an answer for Kittle who had 5/95. It might be a good idea to figure out a way to stop him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Knowing the NFL there's a good chance we'll meet the 49ers again in the playoffs. They did better this time against the run but they didn't seem to have an answer for Kittle who had 5/95. It might be a good idea to figure out a way to stop him.
Really fast OLB's w/ lateral agility and burst. And don't be gettin' no stiffies like the OLB's you generally find in the 4th, need a guy who can fly and cover.

Wonder if Nolan Smith can be taught to play more of a 4-3 OLB role?

DJ Johnson is who I want in the 3rd. Might have to go 2nd. Dude runs a sub 4.6 at 6-4/270, and as a former TE, understands coverage.

morasp

Reaction score
Really fast OLB's w/ lateral agility and burst. And don't be gettin' no stiffies like the OLB's you generally find in the 4th, need a guy who can fly and cover.

Wonder if Nolan Smith can be taught to play more of a 4-3 OLB role?

DJ Johnson is who I want in the 3rd. Might have to go 2nd. Dude runs a sub 4.6 at 6-4/270, and as a former TE, understands coverage.
After his combine I'll bet Smith goes pretty high. Drew Sanders is the guy I like, looks like a playmaker. He didn't run at the scouting combine but his pro day is the on the 29th. Jabril Cox was supposed to be good in coverage and he will be coming up on the three year rule next season so maybe he's an option. He ran a 4.52 40 at his pro day.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
We have work to do to become THE DOMINANT Defense in the NFL, but it is definitely doable( what I mean by dominant is less than 14 points a game).

We need to pursued Wagner to come to Dallas. Micah should be recruiting right now!

We need to resign Hankins and sign another big run stuffing DT. Resign Watkins as a rotation player( good player who is under rated). Possibly draft the quick smallish DT from Pitt( pass rush ).

Hopefully, Sam Williams makes a 2nd year jump. He has the potential to be really good if not dominant! Does he want to be great? He has ALL the physical tools!

With these moves/improvements we still have draft capital to improve the OL and possibly grab Hopkins in FA!

I have 2 letlers for you....DT!

LovinItAll

Reaction score
We do not need a high powered offense. We tried that the last 2 years. We need a dominant D, and a ball control run 1st offense that uses play action.

High powered offenses fail in the playoffs at a MUCH higher rate than high powered defenses.
Great defense almost always beats great offense in the playoffs!!!
No. We have a dominant defense. We held the 49ers to 13 points in the last 3 quarters of our playoff loss. The offense needs to be more productive. I’ll repeat It for the billionth time: The offense needs to be able to put up 28+ and we’ll be equipped for a deep playoff run.

Also, which high powered offenses have been falling to high powered defenses in the playoffs? The Eagles had a super high octane defense, certainly better than KC’s D. Didn’t win the game for them, though.

The Bills had a good defense. The Bengals showed them the door.

The only playoff game that the defense ‘overpowered’ an explosive offense in last year’s playoffs was in the Vikings loss. A Cousins lead offense isn’t really a good barometer of anything.

Again, our defense is stout RIGHT NOW. If a defensive difference maker comes in cheap, great. Otherwise, now the focus should be on bolstering the OL, RB, and TE positions.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would love to have a dominant defense. I like watching defense more than offense. To be dominant they probably have to shut down teams like Philli and KC so they can show it in the playoffs.

I wouldn’t mess with Parsons too much. He’ll probably gain weight as time goes on naturally, by then if he’s 265 and a little slower he would be a good DE or something like a 34OLB to set the edge. I don’t see him getting up to 265 anytime soon.
I think Parsons gets bigger, but I hope not up to 265. His speed is what makes him deadly, and still an asset as an off the ball LB.

kskboys

Reaction score
After his combine I'll bet Smith goes pretty high. Drew Sanders is the guy I like, looks like a playmaker. He didn't run at the scouting combine but his pro day is the on the 29th. Jabril Cox was supposed to be good in coverage and he will be coming up on the three year rule next season so maybe he's an option. He ran a 4.52 40 at his pro day.
Cox doesn't change directions well enough to be that guy.

blueblood70

Reaction score

make Micha big and slower like zeek.,bad move he knows what weight to carry..thats a lot of moves on one side of the ball.. they were dominate the last 2 years they wil be fine we need shore up the OL/LG, RB positions, hope the TEs can play and what not..time to focus on offense some as well. the offense is what failed us the last 2 playoff games and started with the OL and no run game.. i know we are enamored d with possible dooms day d but lve here nearly eliminates Wagner..who knows but that huge ask.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
make Micha big and slower like zeek.,bad move he knows what weight to carry..thats a lot of moves on one side of the ball.. they were dominate the last 2 years they wil be fine we need shore up the OL/LG, RB positions, hope the TEs can play and what not..time to focus on offense some as well. the offense is what failed us the last 2 playoff games and started with the OL and no run game.. i know we are enamored d with possible dooms day d but lve here nearly eliminates Wagner..who knows but that huge ask.
This D was not a dominant!! A dominant D can STOP the run consistently!! We only need a few pieces to be truly dominant. A couple run stuffing DT’s( one can be Hankins ), and a play making LBer that anticipates the play, rather than reacts to it( Bobby Wagner type).

A truly dominant D makes winning EASIER!! You do not have to have a great QB, or as many offensive weapons!!

In the history of the NFL there have been plenty of teams with a truly dominant D, and a ball control offense, with a bus driver at QB,that have won Superbowls. With Dak as our QB this is the best way for us to win a Superbowl!!!!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
No. We have a dominant defense. We held the 49ers to 13 points in the last 3 quarters of our playoff loss. The offense needs to be more productive. I’ll repeat It for the billionth time: The offense needs to be able to put up 28+ and we’ll be equipped for a deep playoff run.

Also, which high powered offenses have been falling to high powered defenses in the playoffs? The Eagles had a super high octane defense, certainly better than KC’s D. Didn’t win the game for them, though.

The Bills had a good defense. The Bengals showed them the door.

The only playoff game that the defense ‘overpowered’ an explosive offense in last year’s playoffs was in the Vikings loss. A Cousins lead offense isn’t really a good barometer of anything.

Again, our defense is stout RIGHT NOW. If a defensive difference maker comes in cheap, great. Otherwise, now the focus should be on bolstering the OL, RB, and TE positions.
We did not have a dominant Defense, but with a few more pieces we can have one!!!
Find a way to get a dominant DT, a solid DT and a stud MLBer( player that anticipates the play, does not react to the play) and this D WILL be dominant!!!!

With these moves we can still upgrade at the positions you mentioned. I think we are good at TE, and a RB can be found in the middle of the draft or later. We should be able to get a G in 1st-3rd rounds.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Possibly put Bland on Kittle. Trying to cover him with Wilson did not workout to well.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I have 2 letlers for you....DT!
+ Bobby Wagner! A player that anticipates plays and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.
Protect Bobby Wagner with a couple stud DT’s, and this Defense WILL be truly Dominant( 14-15 points, or less, given up a game).

blueblood70

Reaction score
This D was not a dominant!! A dominant D can STOP the run consistently!! We only need a few pieces to be truly dominant. A couple run stuffing DT’s( one can be Hankins ), and a play making LBer that anticipates the play, rather than reacts to it( Bobby Wagner type).

A truly dominant D makes winning EASIER!! You do not have to have a great QB, or as many offensive weapons!!

In the history of the NFL there have been plenty of teams with a truly dominant D, and a ball control offense, with a bus driver at QB,that have won Superbowls. With Dak as our QB this is the best way for us to win a Superbowl!!!!!!
calm down, check your heart monitor,. might be sounding an alarm

for most of the year they were dominate at times less when injuries starting piling up losing 2 starter at CB didn't help, all phases go through slumps ie STs with maher and Turpin and even punter had bad game.. we see sometimes the d plays great and helps, the o, vice versa, being a top 7 d with top 3 numbers in big category's over the entire season says you are dominant.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
calm down, check your heart monitor,. might be sounding an alarm

for most of the year they were dominate at times less when injuries starting piling up losing 2 starter at CB didn't help, all phases go through slumps ie STs with maher and Turpin and even punter had bad game.. we see sometimes the d plays great and helps, the o, vice versa, being a top 7 d with top 3 numbers in big category's over the entire season says you are dominant.
I guess, I can lay off the exclamation points, when making my points, but I have seen how good this defense has been without being dominant vs the run. If this front office makes a few smart moves to strengthen our run D, this defense has the potential to be truly dominant( 14-15 or less points per game ).

There has been, no defense in NFL history, that was consistently dominant, that was mediocre against the run. Last year we were mediocre( inconsistent ) vs the run.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
+ Bobby Wagner! A player that anticipates plays and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.
Protect Bobby Wagner with a couple stud DT’s, and this Defense WILL be truly Dominant( 14-15 points, or less, given up a game).
Its comical that Dallas Cowboys fans forget the 20 year winning run was because we drafted with the first pick in Cowboys History a DT continued with drafting with the 4th overall pick in the 1975 Dirty Dozen draft a DT, and Jimmy Johnson started his top rank defense and Super Bowl Dynasty with the no.1 pick overall in 1991 draft with a DT. The lean years in Cowboys history were the years without Lilly, White, and Maryland.

Why the he11 Jerry Dumbo GM Jones has not figured this out in +27 years is pathetic and comical when fans don't see it either. Football begins with trench warfare.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I honestly think we need Mazi Smith DT Michigan. I like Siaka Ika DT Baylor alot and wish we can get him if we fail to get Smith. But this team is missing that big strong Anchor. Smith has the instincts and power to be special. And Dallas could be a special spot for him to advance very far in his career.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Wagner would be a luxury player. This would allow us to use Parsons at DE every so often. But if we had a Mazi Smith next to ODI in the middle or even just go all out to fix that postion with Smith at the 3 and draft Siaka as a 1.

Armstrong-Smith-Siaka-Lawerance
With Parsons LVE and our new stud LB that would be awesome. And if you bring in Wagner wow what a rotation of LBs