We need a new LB core

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Loved Lee at his peak, but he’s been done for the past couple of years. Jaylon unfortunately is nothing compared to who he was at Notre Dame. & LVE ended up being made of glass too..

All these guys need to go.

LVE is still on his rookie contract. He's not going anywhere. But I'm out on Lee and Jaylon.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
LVE is made of glass, and honestly wasn't looking to good before the injury. Smith is not a starter, him and LVE are living off the 2018 season, it has been two years already, get over that season. Lee, no longer has it plus he also made of glass.
So who are the top rated linebackers in this draft that aren't injury prone?
We need two corners and two linebackers the most on this team. Whoever is the highest rated player on the board Parsons, Surtain, Farley, and Collins you draft. In the second round you pray a Diggs type or Darius Leonard type is available to draft.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We need two corners and two linebackers the most on this team. Whoever is the highest rated player on the board Parsons, Surtain, Farley, and Collins you draft. In the second round you pray a Diggs type or Darius Leonard type is available to draft.

Two linebackers and two corners aren't going to help a lot until we get legitimate DTs that can stop the run and provide some inside pass rush.

Oh and a DE that doesn't continually get stupid drive-extending penalties...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Two linebackers and two corners aren't going to help a lot until we get legitimate DTs that can stop the run and provide some inside pass rush.

Oh and a DE that doesn't continually get stupid drive-extending penalties...
We do need a 1 tech but there are not any that are rated that highly. I would hope the Joneses will not pay for a quality free agent that would solve are problems.

Gates was playing dirty. I am proud of Gregory for that penalty. The defense gave us a chance to win that game. I give Nolan credit for having this crap of a defense play good football for the final 4 games.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We need everything on defense. There will be bigger holes to fill than replacing jaylon or LVE. They need to draft the best defensive talent available.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We do need a 1 tech but there are not any that are rated that highly. I would hope the Joneses will not pay for a quality free agent that would solve are problems.

Gates was playing dirty. I am proud of Gregory for that penalty. The defense gave us a chance to win that game. I give Nolan credit for having this crap of a defense play good football for the final 4 games.

Didn't say there was a great DT in the draft, just that we needed one. And we don't need just any two linebackers and two corners, they have to be better than what we have, but barring trading for two first rounders and two second rounders (if you can even do that) the chances of getting those 4 defensive players with all of them being better than what we have is slim to none.

But (not saying you were one of them) I find it very amusing that I was eaten alive here when I stated I'd rather have had a defensive player rather than Lamb, now it's "we need to draft all defense this year" or want tons of defensive players.

You need a drafting PLAN, not just a knee jerk reaction to grab somebody just because they're a "steal". Not saying Lamb might work out to be the best thing the Cowboys have done in recent years, draft-wise, but that remains to be seen...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Didn't say there was a great DT in the draft, just that we needed one. And we don't need just any two linebackers and two corners, they have to be better than what we have, but barring trading for two first rounders and two second rounders (if you can even do that) the chances of getting those 4 defensive players with all of them being better than what we have is slim to none.

But (not saying you were one of them) I find it very amusing that I was eaten alive here when I stated I'd rather have had a defensive player rather than Lamb, now it's "we need to draft all defense this year" or want tons of defensive players.

You need a drafting PLAN, not just a knee jerk reaction to grab somebody just because they're a "steal". Not saying Lamb might work out to be the best thing the Cowboys have done in recent years, draft-wise, but that remains to be seen...
Disagree, we need a weak side linebacker that can cover running backs and tight ends. Every team we played targets Jaylon with a running back or tight end with the short pass. LVE cannot be trusted with his health or play. He is always in the tub when he needs to be on the field. At cornerback we need someone opposite of Diggs obviously but Brown cannot cover the slot. He made Shepherd look like Beasley yesterday.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
LB needs a full make over to be sure but you probably have to keep Jaylon in 2021 and "hope" LVE is healthy enough to play out his rookie deal at least.
You need to draft a LB in top 3-4 rounds anyway and hope they can play at least Sean Lee's snaps in 2021.
LB makeover is probably a 2 year job.

From a needs standpoint I NEED:
CB1
FS
LB2
DT1
DT4 --resign AWoods here imo

I'd also like
LT
LB1
CB3
Edge
LB3
WR5
Safety 3

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
LVE is made of glass, and honestly wasn't looking to good before the injury. Smith is not a starter, him and LVE are living off the 2018 season, it has been two years already, get over that season. Lee, no longer has it plus he also made of glass.
So who are the top rated linebackers in this draft that aren't injury prone?

Smith is a starter here. By the owner/GM, coaches. We need DL/CB/S just as much as LB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Disagree, we need a weak side linebacker that can cover running backs and tight ends. Every team we played targets Jaylon with a running back or tight end with the short pass. LVE cannot be trusted with his health or play. He is always in the tub when he needs to be on the field. At cornerback we need someone opposite of Diggs obviously but Brown cannot cover the slot. He made Shepherd look like Beasley yesterday.
You aren't wrong but this also happens to every LB in the league.
Teams give up that match up to take away WRs.
Blake Martinez is a good LB but we ate him alive yesterday in coverage too.
So what did NYG do? They blitzed him more... lol same as we do with Jaylon.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We need DL/CB/S just as much as LB.
precisely.

CB1 and DT1 are arguably the biggest NEEDS.
LB1 would be really really nice to have but you can make do with a LB3(as a rookie) that covers for LVE's health and rests Jaylon if you had to.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

What are you disagreeing with me about? Where did I say we didn't need a "weak side linebacker..."? I said we need a better one than we have, obviously we don't have the type of linebacker you say we need.

Did you quote the wrong post?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This defense needs up to 7 new starters next year IMO. This team has had 8 defensive coordinators and multiple schemes since 2000 and this FO changes schemes like it changes clothes. You can’t build a consistently good D if you don’t even know who you are defensively.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our biggest need is DT. Those are the guys that free up the LBs to make plays and clog the run game. We literally have the worst collection of DTs in the NFL.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
precisely.

CB1 and DT1 are arguably the biggest NEEDS.
LB1 would be really really nice to have but you can make do with a LB3(as a rookie) that covers for LVE's health and rests Jaylon if you had to.

Agreed. A strong inside defensive presence will make your linebackers better, hard for a 240 pound lb to take on a 320 lb guard, etc.

And Before we dump tons of draft resources into lb, didn't Gifford show promise until he got injured? Have the Cowboys decided Thomas isn't able to beat out Smith or Lee? What about Bernard? Can those guys step up and improve the linebacker corps?

This team has many needs, can't invest over half your draft into only 2 areas of the defense, or have we now decided our safeties are top notch? Smith is guaranteed to return to LT form and play that way for another 2-3 years? Is Connor Williams ever going to be able to handle powerful DTs?

Draft needs abound, can't get them all, but surely we can invest in more than 2 positions....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This defense needs up to 7 new starters next year IMO. This team has had 8 defensive coordinators and multiple schemes since 2000 and this FO changes schemes like it changes clothes. You can’t build a consistently good D if you don’t even know who you are defensively.

Yes we see busted coverages every game, just fixing some of those will help this defense, whether you do that by firing Nolan or having more time in the scheme...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agreed. A strong inside defensive presence will make your linebackers better, hard for a 240 pound lb to take on a 320 lb guard, etc.

And Before we dump tons of draft resources into lb, didn't Gifford show promise until he got injured? Have the Cowboys decided Thomas isn't able to beat out Smith or Lee? What about Bernard? Can those guys step up and improve the linebacker corps?

This team has many needs, can't invest over half your draft into only 2 areas of the defense, or have we now decided our safeties are top notch? Smith is guaranteed to return to LT form and play that way for another 2-3 years? Is Connor Williams ever going to be able to handle powerful DTs?

Draft needs abound, can't get them all, but surely we can invest in more than 2 positions....
Thomas is like a 70 year vet lol so he is what he is. He can play well in a fill in role but gets exposed and beat up.

Gifford is interesting. Bernard is very limited athletically so would be like Jaylon if he also lacked straight line speed.

But end of day you don;t get everything you want in an era of the tight cap and this one will be tight for 2021.
Replace Lee with a quality rookie who can play 500 snaps next year and grow into a starting role and you can get by.

Jaylon is a legit starting LB he just need sot stop celebrating common or even poor plays and start relying on automaton coach speak since dunking on his has become the local pastime and the fastest way for a media guy to get clicks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You aren't wrong but this also happens to every LB in the league.
Teams give up that match up to take away WRs.
Blake Martinez is a good LB but we ate him alive yesterday in coverage too.
So what did NYG do? They blitzed him more... lol same as we do with Jaylon.
I hear you but Jaylon has become the most hated Cowboy for some reason. According to Cowboys Zone he is the worst linebacker ever to play in the NFL and we would have a top 10 defense without him. Let’s give the people what they want.:laugh:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Thomas is like a 70 year vet lol so he is what he is. He can play well in a fill in role but gets exposed and beat up.

Gifford is interesting. Bernard is very limited athletically so would be like Jaylon if he also lacked straight line speed.

But end of day you don;t get everything you want in an era of the tight cap and this one will be tight for 2021.
Replace Lee with a quality rookie who can play 500 snaps next year and grow into a starting role and you can get by.

Jaylon is a legit starting LB he just need sot stop celebrating common or even poor plays and start relying on automaton coach speak since dunking on his has become the local pastime and the fastest way for a media guy to get clicks.

Well we agree on one thing - Lee has to be replaced, love the attitude and the coaching on the field ability, but he can't do physically what the position demands....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Need a back 7 core. Diggs might, MIGHT, be a keeper but that secondary is a bad one. That DB draft was wasted and they need to do it again.

When this D is in need of DT's, LB's and DB's, and at least 2 of each, where does the emphasis with that 1st pick fall? They spent it poorly last season. Not for the player but for the position. Lamb didn't have a tackle for the D this season. And they were is dire need of tackles.