We need an authoritarian coach

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
This team had the exact same problems under Parcells in 2006.

No coach can get a bunch of penalty-prone players to stop committing penalties.

Flozell and Colombo will false start as long as they're out there.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2514833 said:
This team had the exact same problems under Parcells in 2006.

No coach can get a bunch of penalty-prone players to stop committing penalties.

Flozell and Colombo will false start as long as they're out there.

Yep. And Witten.

And Ware will jump offsides from time to time.

But what are you going to do, get rid of those players?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
casmith07;2514704 said:
Yeah, but he's Belicheat in my eyes. I'd rather not have him anywhere near the DFW metro area.

I hear ya and agree.
But there is no denying that he puts a team on the field that plays hard all the time.

WoodysGirl;2514805 said:
Cowher has dogged Dallas AND Jerry all season long. I doubt he would be interested in coming here.

Not "all season"... he was nice a few times. ;)

newlander;2514823 said:
Hey Mick: too bad Oprah's back. But I mean, yeah if Fisher or Belicheck were at the helm things would be different but they aren't so.....what now? Next week is SO important: and I don't mean just for this year. JJ wants to keep Coach Cupcake, but I believe he won't be able to if Philly hammers us-too many rich folks buying PSL's in his fancy stadium will not allow it IMO. Stay tuned.........of course.

I am with ya... I dont want to change HC. I really dont. I would rather this thing get figured out and Wade finally wins the BIG ONE.

But... it just may be Cowher.

AKATheRake;2514829 said:
I agree. But he is the best coach in the league and one of the best to lead a team in along while. A Belicheck only comes around once in a blue moon. 2nd to him is Fischer and Coughlin. All 3 are lifers where they are and are better than chin.

At the very least ALL the coaches you mentioned would not stand for penalties and missed assignments... not on a regular basis... THATS for sure.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2515178 said:
I
Not "all season"... he was nice a few times. ;)
I'd love to see those few times. Everything I've read about Cowher has him dissing the 'boys.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Its true that it comes down to the players, we all know that,

With the cowboys hiring of parcells, it shows that big bill had problems with the players, and best ot my memory, some of the penalities came down with parcells.

This team does lack attention to detail, looking over every facet in the game, like big bill said, cover every scenario.

I cant think of the writers name, but wade phillips asked him for advice near mid season, he was a scout for the cowboys when parcells was here. One of the things he told wade was your special teams, have been awful even when you coached at buffalo. What did wade do, he hired some special teams players the next day and on to about a week or more after that, and special teams did improve. But special teams still suffer due to one thing, not enough attentioin to detail on them.

1. Thats how we lost mcbrair, in arizona game, players not blocking right
2. How many times did playes jump offsides on defense last night?
3. How many times did offensive linemen move?
4. How many times did Romo miss Wide open WR's last night?
5. How many times has the center presnapped the ball before romo was ready?

This is just some of the detail things that coaches have to get the players ready for, and you sure cant get players ready for those things when you give them extra days off.

What is needed on this team, is a head coach that is a disciplirian like jimmy johnson was, he has full control of the team, he gets to hire his own offensive and defensive coordinators. And they work on all details, including special teams. Special teams hurt the cowboys last night again on a fake field goal.

Then, I point to something romo said after the game, romo said, it took the team till the 4th quarter to get a handle on the blocking assignments for the offensive line, that should have been done by halftime. That goes back to coaching, details, and having the players ready. Granted the players need to be ready too and study film.

Just like last night after the game, good ole wade said, obviously we had the wrong defensive players in the game on those 2 big ravens runs on our defense. Duh, do it once, is ok, but let it happen again, shame on me. Good ole wade doesnt get it. Thats his coaching style till its too late.

Add all of these things just like last year, when good ole wade kept saying well, we did win 13 games, and we did win a playoff game, the game of the bye week. Duh! Get a grasp people, wade is a real good defensive coordinator, but thats it.

Finally, the cowboys were shutting down the ravens in the first quarter on defense, the ravens werent getting in field goal range, but all of a sudden the cowboys changed from man to man defense back to zone that some of the players cant play, Why? Duh! Do you get a clue now people?

There is a reason why good ole wade has lost in first round in playoffs 4 times. Yes wade has lost in the first round of playoffs 4 times, wake up people, there is a reason why by the 2nd year each team wade has coached, his team playoff and history record gets worse.

Wake up and smell the roses.
Regular Season Post Season Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result NOR 1985 1 3 0 .250 3rd in NFC West - - - - NOR Total 1 3 0 .250 - - - DEN 1993 9 7 0 .562 3rd in AFC West 0 1 .000 Lost to Los Angeles Raiders in AFC Wild-Card Game. DEN 1994 7 9 0 .437 4th in AFC West - - - - DEN Total 16 16 0 .500 0 1 .000 BUF 1998 10 6 0 .625 3rd in AFC East 0 1 .000 Lost to Miami Dolphins in AFC Wild-Card Game. BUF 1999 11 5 0 .687 2nd in AFC East 0 1 .000 Lost to Tennessee Titans in AFC Wild-Card Game. BUF 2000 8 8 0 .500 4th in AFC East - - - - BUF Total 29 19 0 .604 0 2 .000 ATL 2003 2 1 0 .666 4rd in NFC South - - - - ATL Total 2 1 0 .666 - - - DAL 2007 13 3 0 .812 1st in NFC East 0 1 .000 Lost to New York Giants in NFC Divisional Game. DAL 2008 9 6 0 .615 TBD - - - - DAL Total 20 8 0 .714 0 1 .000 Total[3] 68 47 0 .591 0 4 .000

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2515195 said:
I'd love to see those few times. Everything I've read about Cowher has him dissing the 'boys.

Yeah I wont be able to produce that pre or post game video. Sorry.

But he was liking us early on... just lil bit

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
texjew21;2514650 said:
simple is that. I blame this teams poor performance and inconsistency entirely on the soft coaching staff. Romo can do whatever he wants as well as anybody else on the team. This definitely effects how a team plays together. Also as far as all the injuries are concerned, Wade Phillips has always had soft practices during his coaching career, this being the reason why our players are soft and get injured. Wade Phillips has some of the highest numbers in injured players during his entire coaching career. This team has too much talent to play the way they have been playing. It's time for Phillips to go, and time for Jerry to man up and hire somebody that is going to put the smack down on these boys.

Did you watch the Parcells era?

Its the players. Those of you who haven't figured that out by now are unbelievable.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
41gy#;2514666 said:
How did December work out for Bill Parcells.

It isn't the coaches.

Parcells was a shell of his former self. He just didn't have that fire in him as he did in his youth.

Which is why he's in the front office now.

Still doesn't negate the point: this team needs an authoritarian coach.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
CATCH17;2515206 said:
Did you watch the Parcells era?

Its the players. Those of you who haven't figured that out by now are unbelievable.

If it's the players, all that means is their will is stronger than the coaches.

It's interesting that well-coached teams are the least penalized teams.

If your players are making bonehead plays, then apparently you're not coaching them well or you're stupid for selecting stupid players.

Still boils down to coaching.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2515228 said:
Parcells was a shell of his former self. He just didn't have that fire in him as he did in his youth.

Which is why he's in the front office now.

Still doesn't negate the point: this team needs an authoritarian coach.

Firing our head coach would be a Dan Snyder move all the way.

Especially since Wade has these guys playing at a high level on defense.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2515228 said:

History says Cowher will be the same. They all are when they get recycled (except Vermeil) .

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2515204 said:
Yeah I wont be able to produce that pre or post game video. Sorry.

But he was liking us early on... just lil bit
Here is the primary quote that I go by and it was early on in the season.
Cowher on 10/27 said:
Maybe we should permanently cross Bill Cowher off the list of potential future Cowboys coaches. During CBS' pre-game show, he didn't exactly sound like he was wanting to work for Jerry Jones. "You've got to have one voice. In this situation you have Jerry Jones who is on the sideline when they're winning. When they're losing he is talking to the team, talking about the status of the quarterback and Wade Phillips has to listen to Jerry because right now (Wade) has to know what (Jerry's) saying as well. But even Wade has his own issues."

http://sportsmediablog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/10/around-with-the-horn-monday-ed.html

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2515231 said:

If your players are making bonehead plays, then apparently you're not coaching them well or you're stupid for selecting stupid players.

Thats great and all in theory.

But we had one of the greatest coaches of all time at beating stupid out of teams and he couldn't beat it out of this team.

This team is boneheaded. Another coach isn't going to change that.

Continuity is the best thing for this team. Not blowing it up and starting over.

The players are to dumb to constantly start over.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
CATCH17;2515234 said:
Firing our head coach would be a Dan Snyder move all the way.

Especially since Wade has these guys playing at a high level on defense.

But he's the coach. He should have them playing at a high level on offense, defense and special teams.

If he can't, then he needs to be just the defensive coordinator.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
5Countem5;2515238 said:
History says Cowher will be the same. They all are when they get recycled (except Vermeil) .

Maybe. But I'm not one of those clamoring for Cowher.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2515231 said:

:hammer:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2515264 said:
But he's the coach. He should have them playing at a high level on offense, defense and special teams.

If he can't, then he needs to be just the defensive coordinator.

True and this offense has been pretty good all year except for when Romo was hurt.

If you didn't expect us to struggle on offense VS the Steelers, Giants, or Ravens than you were kidding yourself.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
CATCH17;2515245 said:
Thats great and all in theory.

But we had one of the greatest coaches of all time at beating stupid out of teams and he couldn't beat it out of this team.

This team is boneheaded. Another coach isn't going to change that.

Continuity is the best thing for this team. Not blowing it up and starting over.

The players are to dumb to constantly start over.

So what do you suggest?

We just wallow in mediocrity and stupidity until all the dumb players are gone?

I don't see that as any better of a suggestion.

It's interesting that a team like Atlanta can jettison a few trouble makers, get a new coach, bring in players who known for their toughness (Turner) mentality and rookies who play smart (Ryan) and can vy for the playoffs.

I think coaching plays more of an impact than you get it credit.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
CATCH17;2515277 said:
True and this offense has been pretty good all year except for when Romo was hurt.

If you didn't expect us to struggle on offense VS the Steelers, Giants, or Ravens than you were kidding yourself.

It's not that we were suppose to have it easy against the Steelers, Giants or Ravens.

It's that we know we have an injured Romo or a Romo who isn't playing well in the game and instead of protecting him with a running game or minimizing his mistake, we allow him to just fling the ball without a care in the world, maximizing his chances of making a mistake.

That's coaching.

If your coach can't figure out that certain players shouldn't be put in certain positions, you're in trouble as a team.

We don't need to be trying to win a shoot-out in the cold with a quarterback whose finger isn't 100 percent healthy.

Why do we have coaches if we're going to get the players total control or blame everything on the players? :confused:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2515282 said:
So what do you suggest?

We just wallow in mediocrity and stupidity until all the dumb players are gone?

I don't see that as any better of a suggestion.

It's interesting that a team like Atlanta can jettison a few trouble makers, get a new coach, bring in players who known for their toughness (Turner) mentality and rookies who play smart (Ryan) and can vy for the playoffs.

I think coaching plays more of an impact than you get it credit.

I suggest we stick to our guns.

I watched the Colts do it for years with Manning. That team did a lot of dumb losing Pre-Superbowl.

They knew they had a talented team and didn't throw their skirt up and hit the panic button.

This team is built long term. No need to blow it up after every bad season.

If you like that style than you would love Dan Snyder.

They are a dumb team but they are a rediculously talented team. Getting rid of a coaching staff after every bad season would be the worst thing for this team.

Especially since Wade has the D playing good ball.