We need an authoritarian coach

Haley94

Reaction score
In my opinion, the best leaders (coaches) use both the carrot and the stick. To quote Tom Landry; "Leadership is getting someone to do what they don't want to do, to achieve what they want to achieve."

tyke1doe

Reaction score
CATCH17;2515305 said:
I suggest we stick to our guns.

I watched the Colts do it for years with Manning. That team did a lot of dumb losing Pre-Superbowl.

They knew they had a talented team and didn't throw their skirt up and hit the panic button.

This team is built long term. No need to blow it up after every bad season.

If you like that style than you would love Dan Snyder.

They are a dumb team but they are a rediculously talented team. Getting rid of a coaching staff after every bad season would be the worst thing for this team.

Especially since Wade has the D playing good ball.

I understand your point. And it's a good one. We shouldn't be changing coaches after every bad season.

I guess my question is ... if you know eventually you're going to change coaches (and remember, we have a coach-in-awaiting in Jason Garrett) at what point do you make that move and not waste the talent on your squad?

If you're a young team, you should probably make that change soon to give your squad enough time to adjust to a new coach. By the time the team makes that adjustment, your club will be at a prime age.

Be that as it may, we've had two season with Phillips. And we've gotten the same results - a team that is immensely talented but fades down the stretch.

Should he get another year?

And if the same occurs, what then?

After next year, T.O. basically will be ready for retirement. And other players will be older. At what point do we pull the trigger?

texjew21

Reaction score
CATCH17;2515206 said:
Did you watch the Parcells era?

Its the players. Those of you who haven't figured that out by now are unbelievable.

what Parcells had at the time was different than what we have now. This team is grown and has the experience for the most part, but we have a soft coach not giving them the edge they need. Take a look at the Giants last season, Tom Coughlin is a big time authoritarian, he eventually got the team to learn from their mistakes as the season progressed and it turned out big in the playoffs. This team hasn't learned a damn thing. So as a matter of fact it is UNBELIEVABLE for you to think it's the players. Leadership reflects play.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
casmith07;2514764 said:
We have that. We need our authoritarian GM's passion for winning to trickle down to the coaching staff.
We need a smart authoritarian. That's one of the big problems with authoritarianism in general -- get the wrong one and you're f'ed.