We need another WR threat

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Okay, I don't know about you guys but without Miles Austin, I don't think we make it to the playoffs. This guy has pretty much saved our season. Roy Williams is a nice 3rd reciever, a solid #2 reciever at best.

Here's what worries me. If Miles goes down and he's had his history of injuries, there will be no explosive recievers to pick up the slack. Crayton,Roy,Hurd and Witten are all slow possesion revievers.

We need to get Mardy Gilyard or a guy like him this draft.

Crayton isn't getting any younger. RW is simply just not that good and Hurd is a FA.

Who knows about Ogletree, but I'll take a Austin,Gilyard,Roy Williams,Ogletree rotation for the next 4-5 years.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
For me, if Damian Williams, Mardy Gillyard, Golden Tate, or Jacoby Ford is sitting there in the 2nd round we'd have to seriously consider them.

We have been very lucky with Undrafted Free Agents (Romo, Austin, Ogletree) but "Luck" should not be a strategy. We should not be afraid to pull the trigger and draft a talented WR if he's available.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I think we need another WR but I don't think we need a project. We need someone who can run good routes With great hands. Someone like Marty gilryad maybe a sexy pick but the offensive system he's coming makes me not even want him. I'll take LaFell > Gilyard anyday of the week and twice on sundays.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
give me Tate, Benn or Price

Taylor Price, Ohio
Height: 6-1. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.38

speed kills

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3179839 said:
For me, if Damian Williams, Mardy Gillyard, Golden Tate, or Jacoby Ford is sitting there in the 2nd round we'd have to seriously consider them.

We have been very lucky with Undrafted Free Agents (Romo, Austin, Ogletree) but "Luck" should not be a strategy. We should not be afraid to pull the trigger and draft a talented WR if he's available.

Damian Williams looks like a good fit.

McShay has Ford as the 15th WR..so I'm assuming he's got a 4th round grade. He's going to the fastest WR at the combine so that will shoot him up the boards too.

I just know that Gilyard will either be long gone or not even on our boards. I would love for him to be a Cowboy. Look at the Eagles, plethora of speedy weapons. They drafted Maclin even though they had Desean.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3179901 said:
give me Tate, Benn or Price

Taylor Price, Ohio
Height: 6-1. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.38

speed kills

I like Benn.

Price seems like a hit or miss. You just never know with those small school guys.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3179911 said:
I like Benn.

Price seems like a hit or miss. You just never know with those small school guys.

true enuf

but I want one who could return punts an KO's

so if Tate is sitting there I grab him

Strengths:
Extremely productive
Very athletic
Adequate speed to stretch a defense
Great hand-eye coordination
Nice Y.A.C.
Makes acrobatic catches
Strong; not an easy tackle
Plucks ball at apex
Experience in West Coast offense
Comes back to quarterback when play breaks down
Versatile; can play Wildcat, slot, split end
Shows nice vision after catch
Eats cushion quickly
Shifty runner
Intelligent
Great instincts
Good leadership
Had some DOMINANT games
Plays with heart; very competitive
Weaknesses:
Very poor route runner
Doesn't sink hips in break
Doesn't sell route very well
Average size
Not much of a blocker
Doesn't have elite speed
Can he beat jam at next level?
Questionable deep threat
Might need some development
Occasionally drops a routine catch

Summary: I think Tate's draft stock is dependent on his 40 time. If he can run in the 4.4s, then he is a first-round pick. If he doesn't, then it is questionable. Tate profiles as a very good No. 2 receiver at the next level, but don't count on him to be Andre Johnson. Tate played baseball at Notre Dame and was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks out of high school in 2007. Tate profiles as a late first- to early second-round pick.

Player Comparison: Steve Smith (Giants). Tate and Smith of course have the size comparison, but they are both natural receivers with good speed

RS12

Reaction score
Slate we are totally on the same page here. Anybody who says different is diluding themselves. Imagine even a Golden Tate across from Miles (who wasnt known for his durability up to this year). Upgrading the WR position is a priority.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Who has the great, great speed other than Ford? And preferably some quicks, too? I'm thinking along the lines of this year's Mike Wallace.

Will CJ Spiller definitely be a RB at the next level, or could he be moved to WR (like IMO Reggie Bush should've been)? Haven't watched him that much, but I'm wondering if he could be like Percy Harvin.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3181830 said:
Who has the great, great speed other than Ford? And preferably some quicks, too? I'm thinking along the lines of this year's Mike Wallace.

Will CJ Spiller definitely be a RB at the next level, or could he be moved to WR (like IMO Reggie Bush should've been)? Haven't watched him that much, but I'm wondering if he could be like Percy Harvin.

5x5 Lab. I love Spiller. In fact, I would not mind seeing the Cowboys take Spiller or Tate. I think that Spiller could be split out into the slot and create real matchup problems with any team out there. If we took Spiller, we would have to move one of our other backs, which might not be a big deal. Eventually, we are going to have to move one of them anyway. Tate would be a perfect slot WR IMO. If his speed is as good as I think it might be deep, he might be the better pick for us. The problem is that neither of these guys may get out of the 1st round. I can't see us taking either of these players with a 1st round pick.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i would take a speed demon anytime.i think we can open up our offense more if it happens but i am not holding my breath for a WR to be drafted.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Tate or Gilyard. Also like Spiller but I just don't see them taking him if he fell to us unless he fell a great deal ala a Jason Witten fall and steal.

I just don't think we take a WR in the first so the speculation would be a player that could possibly fall to the second and maybe even further down the ranks IMO.

I think we wind up taking O-Line with the first couple of picks, or that they would like to do that. As this season started it was no secret that we were worried about our Depth on O-Line and even Jerry has admitted as such. So unless some great prospect falls to us like a top level player (that is not a WR, RB or TE)...I think we take Oline.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score

I'm not sure. I havn't looked that much into WR's this year. But yes a Mike Wallace type would be perfect.

CJ Spiller is interesting because he could go high or he could drop. He'll probably play RB in the NFL.

I think if Gilyard tumbled within 10 picks of our 2nd rounder, it would be a huge mistake to not grab him. I think he'll be better than Desean.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Gilyard and Shipley would be good picks for us.

Shipley would be a slot guy though but he is Quick, Fast, has hands, runs good routes, and can play special teams. Just a very polished player.

Gilyard is like Desean Jackson except more dynamic. He can do more than just run the go route.

There is actually a lot of good role player type receivers.

I also like Damien Williams too because of his ability to run routes. He is great at it for a college player.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think Gilyard has that kind of speed, though. Jackson had tremendous speed... He was just tiny and a jerk.

Shipley I don't think will be anything special as a pro. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm thinking of a guy with truly great speed like the Clemson guys have.

Here's a sleeper type guy just from doing some reading: Andre Roberts, Citadel. Only 5-11 and 190, but supposedly superior speed (all conference sprinter) and quickness. Led the conference in pretty much everything, both receiving and returning, so he might be our PR, too. And a quiet hard worker from a tough school.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I don't see how Spiller makes it to us, he's a certifiable top 15 pick

reminds many of Chris Johnson

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3182757 said:
I don't think Gilyard has that kind of speed, though. Jackson had tremendous speed... He was just tiny and a jerk.

Here's a sleeper type guy just from doing some reading: Andre Roberts, Citadel. Only 5-11 and 190, but supposedly superior speed (all conference sprinter) and quickness. Led the conference in pretty much everything, both receiving and returning, so he might be our PR, too. And a quiet hard worker from a tough school.

I see your Andre Roberts and raise you a Jeremy Williams

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3182757 said:

Gilyard has 4.2 speed...

He's just as fast as Desean and runs better routes.