We need another WR threat

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagee we need another young stud to groom at WR. But I think it's more important we go OT and S before we go WR next April.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3182817 said:
One thing I know..

I'll never second guess our wr scouting.

Really? Our scouts had Manuel Johnson slotted ahead of Kevin Ogletree.

They also had Skyler Green ranked ahead of Miles Austin in 2006.

We got lucky. Like I've said before, Luck should not be our draft strategy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3182757 said:
I don't think Gilyard has that kind of speed, though. Jackson had tremendous speed... He was just tiny and a jerk.

Shipley I don't think will be anything special as a pro. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm thinking of a guy with truly great speed like the Clemson guys have.

Here's a sleeper type guy just from doing some reading: Andre Roberts, Citadel. Only 5-11 and 190, but supposedly superior speed (all conference sprinter) and quickness. Led the conference in pretty much everything, both receiving and returning, so he might be our PR, too. And a quiet hard worker from a tough school.

Its not about the speed though. Its about the ability to get seperation and these guys can get the seperation.

And yes the guy from Clemson can get that seperation. Because not only are they fast but they got that ability to cut on a dime too.

Extremely agile.

You may not believe in Shipley but I think you will eventually. Hes a heck of a receiver and doesn't really have a weakness for his measurables.

Gilyard has lightning speed.

Jacoby Ford has the bigtime quicks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3182965 said:
Really? Our scouts had Manuel Johnson slotted ahead of Kevin Ogletree.

They also had Skyler Green ranked ahead of Miles Austin in 2006.

We got lucky. Like I've said before, Luck should not be our draft strategy.

Man we sure do get lucky a lot with players.

I trust our scouts. They know what type of player they are looking for.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Dash28;3183445 said:
Like you do with Lafell? :laugh1:

If projecting a prospect to go into the late 1st round is hype then I guess I am hyping him. I say he's a good route runner with good hands and can block good. Yeah you're right....:rolleyes;

SLATEmosphere;3183560 said:
High 4.2's. Low 4.3's.

You should know that.

where do you get your info from cause is sure as hell aint NFLDS.com

Or are you just throwing this out there with no type of evidence to support your claims. You tend to do that a lot.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
CBS NFLDrafScout has him at 4.51.

I expect him to run around a 4.45 at the Combine.

He plays faster than that though.

Jacoby Ford is "blink" fast. That kid moves.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Gilyards getting overrated.

Shipleys lame.

Tate or Ford(mid-round)
I like Williams but hes like Crayton.

Id take a gamble on Dez

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
reddyuta;3181994 said:
i would take a speed demon anytime.i think we can open up our offense more if it happens but i am not holding my breath for a WR to be drafted.

It's a passing league...so anyone suggesting drafting wr's, oline, dline and secondary help for this team is ok by me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would take Shipley any day of the week. He has good speed, great hands, is tough and a smart player who will give you everything he has every play.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3186571 said:
I would take Shipley any day of the week. He has good speed, great hands, is tough and a smart player who will give you everything he has every play.

Pick him in the 4th because that is when he will be available. There is the next holder for PATs and FGs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Shipley doesn't stink but he isn't going to be a starter in the NFL I don't think.

He is a role player. You can stick him in the slot and he will eat teams up.

I don't see him as a threat out Wide but in the slot I think he can do a lot of damage in the NFL.

He upgrades your return game too from day 1.

You guys who don't like Gilyard just haven't seen enough. He is an explosive dynamic player who makes plays.

The rules of this league help guys like him. His physical abilities give him an advantage in the NFL.

RS12

Reaction score
CATCH17;3186684 said:
Shipley doesn't stink but he isn't going to be a starter in the NFL I don't think.

I don't see him as a threat out Wide but in the slot I think he can do a lot of damage in the NFL.

You guys who don't like Gilyard just haven't seen enough. He is an explosive dynamic player who makes plays.

The rules of this league help guys like him. His physical abilities give him an advantage in the NFL.

Catch, Mardy G wearing the star would make me very happy. He is a special team stud too.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;3186684 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I just don't think as many people on this board see Mardy play because he is in the big east and many here do not follow the big east.

He is a heck of a player, lots of hard, has skills and he is a team player as well add that to his ST play and he would be a welcomed addition to our team IMO.

The problem here is the cowboys will not take him in the first round and I don't know if they would take him in the 2nd or 3rd. He is not the type of WR they seem to target. They like the bigger WRs.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3186684 said:

Is it Gilyard or his offensive system. If he ran great routes and had great hands then I'd be sold on him. But an undersized WR with an average 40 mediocre hands and suspect route running ability. I'll pass I'd prefer a more polished prospect at WR.