We Need Backup QB's

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Who can we get? Will Tommy Maddox end up a Cowboy? I've suggested Ricky Ray from the CFL in the past. What suggestions do you other guys have?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
philo beddoe;1369471 said:
Who can we get? Will Tommy Maddox end up a Cowboy? I've suggested Ricky Ray from the CFL in the past. What suggestions do you other guys have?

I doubt if it is Ricky ray.

I imagine it would be someone along the lines of who you mentioned, Maddox.

It will be some vet journeyman who really does not have a chance at landing a starting gig elsewhere.

No great names, although I am sure if they get someone people will be wigging out and screaming...they just need to realize that it will not be anyone special.

BLT

Reaction score
tommy maddox would have just been a quick fix... i bet we draft a QB pretty high because we need insurance behind romo and it doesnt hurt having a young good QB as a trading chip... i'd love to grab some 1 in the 3rd or 4th.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Drew Hensons available I say bring him back.

He never got to show he couldnt play... He just wasnt better than Bledsoe or Romo.

I think we should bring him into training camp and see how he does and if he sucks then cut him but if the new coaching staff see's something then he could be a back up.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If David Carr is released outright ...... I say go for it .... maybe Garrett could get his confidence back ....

But I am sure someone will throw big money at carr to start ....(see Raiders)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What about Patrick Ramsey? Does he have a future with the Jets since they have Clemmons and Pennington?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;1369493 said:
If Drew Hensons available I say bring him back.

He never got to show he couldnt play... He just wasnt better than Bledsoe or Romo.

I think we should bring him into training camp and see how he does and if he sucks then cut him but if the new coaching staff see's something then we could be a back up.
Man would that ever stir the hornets up.

montgod

Reaction score
A big NO to Maddox. No way would I want that guy backing up Romo.

Now, I do like the backup for the Steelers, Rattay, or Ramsey. Those are good suggestions in my opinion.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
If Maddux is the best we can do we are screwed if Romo gets hurt. I have a better arm than Maddux since he hurt his elbow.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

The Texans can't wait to lose him. They'll demand a third rounder.
Jerra never saw a high-draft pick that didn't pan out that he didn't like.
So Jerra will go after him.

I'm not saying getting Carr is a good thing, boys and girls.

I'm just saying that jerra is enamored with "big names."

And Wade Phillips won't question Jerra's wants the way Parcells did. Kinda scary if you really think about it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
zrinkill;1369500 said:
If David Carr is released outright ...... I say go for it .... maybe Garrett could get his confidence back ....

But I am sure someone will throw big money at carr to start ....(see Raiders)
I wouldn't mind Carr.

Either of the McKown brothers or Patrick Ramsey interest me a little. They all grew up as fans. Would they love to fulfill their childhood dreams?

Trent Dilfer doesn't cause friction and is a character guy.

Plummer may be closest to how Romo plays as far as getting out of the pocket, but I don't want him.

No way on Ricky Ray. Bad idea.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;1369513 said:
Tim Rattay .

That makes some sense.

But my money is on Doug Johnson -- he was with mini-Bum in Atl and is a good backup. Rattay is the same kind of player - but with fewer ties here.

dwmyers

Reaction score
abersonc;1369539 said:
That makes some sense.

But my money is on Doug Johnson -- he was with mini-Bum in Atl and is a good backup. Rattay is the same kind of player - but with fewer ties here.

Doug never struck me as being a Jason Garrett clone, and since we have the real thing, shouldn't we let him decide what kind of backup QB we need?

I'd rather we have a backup with the skills to win games, if need be. In that vein, if Bledslow wanted one more year here, I'd let him stay. If not, I'd wish Drew the best.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect that Dallas will look for a vet QB to sit behind Romo, I would also hope we use a pick in the draft to bring in another young QB.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Man I wouldn't mind Carr as a back up, and I bet he wouldn't either..:D

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score

I'm torn between a veteran backup like a Damon Huard, and going with a young QB like Kevin Kolb or Jordan Palmer to develop in the 3rd round range...

However, this time you are completely right, the Boys are gonna need a solid backup for Romo...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CATCH17;1369507 said:
What about Patrick Ramsey? Does he have a future with the Jets since they have Clemmons and Pennington?

If he's available, he'd be a good option...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
silverbear;1369606 said:
I'm torn between a veteran backup like a Damon Huard, and going with a young QB like Kevin Kolb or Jordan Palmer to develop in the 3rd round range...

However, this time you are completely right, the Boys are gonna need a solid backup for Romo...

I think any rookie should be at most 3rd string when your on a playoff run. Especially since we wont be taking a guy early.

I think a veteran is just the smart way to go.