We Need Backup QB's

dwmyers

Reaction score
silverbear;1369610 said:
If he's available, he'd be a good option...

If Jason Garrett is half as good as people claim he is, he really ought to be able take a smart no-name and give us a working back up. Even if we went with Ramsey for a year or two, the 3rd stringer should be a serious developmental guy.

David.

nc1054

Reaction score
This one's for all of you that wanted Jimmah to come back to coach. "Hey, hey, what about if Troy comes back, helps Tony develop, and maybe comes in for mop up duty? I think it could happen." Hahahaha

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jarv;1369599 said:
How about Simms ?

Simms is expected to return to the Bucs as the starter I doubt he plans on giving up an oppertunity to be the starter. Same for David Carr, he may not stay in Houston but he will not be looking at a backup role this early in his career.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
BLT;1369482 said:
tommy maddox would have just been a quick fix... i bet we draft a QB pretty high because we need insurance behind romo and it doesnt hurt having a young good QB as a trading chip... i'd love to grab some 1 in the 3rd or 4th.
Thoughts on Matt Baker?

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;1369493 said:
If Drew Hensons available I say bring him back.

He never got to show he couldnt play... He just wasnt better than Bledsoe or Romo.

I think we should bring him into training camp and see how he does and if he sucks then cut him but if the new coaching staff see's something then he could be a back up.
A new start under a new coach, might be interesting. He still has the "tools".

Doomsday101

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1369640 said:
Thoughts on Matt Baker?

Depends on how high the Cowboys think of him. He did not see any action in pre-season so from a fans stand point it is impossible to comment one way or the other. I would hope Dallas will still draft a QB some where in the draft to challenge Baker

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1369650 said:
Depends on how high the Cowboys think of him. He did not see any action in pre-season so from a fans stand point it is impossible to comment one way or the other. I would hope Dallas will still draft a QB some where in the draft to challenge Baker
I read several times they really liked him. But, that may have come from Parcells. Which means Baker starts all over.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1369660 said:
I read several times they really liked him. But, that may have come from Parcells. Which means Baker starts all over.

I think it would be wise to take a QB regardless even if we are talking day 2 of the draft. I think competition is a good thing

malbis030347

Reaction score
only vets I can think of are Maddox, Shawn King and even Kordell Stewart ....
maybe Wade has ties to a QB that would welcome playing for him again but I am at a loss to think of anyone .....too bad Bledsoe thinks he will be a starter somehere else next year, other than the Raiders I cannot see any team stupid enough to go that route

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Doug Johnson just signed a 1-year deal with CIN.

If the Raiders draft Quinn or Russell, maybe that means the end of one of Brooks or Walter in OAK. I wonder if they'd be willing to settle for a 2nd-day draft pick for Walter. He showed some flashes last year, and it'd be a bit of a coup if we were able to use a 2nd-day draft pick to land a guy who had a modicum of playing experience and could be good backup material rather than just using that draft pick on a rookie who'd end up merely being our 3rd-stringer. I guess I see Walter as having more upside than a guy like Rattay.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
malbis030347;1369670 said:
only vets I can think of are Maddox, Shawn King and even Kordell Stewart ....
maybe Wade has ties to a QB that would welcome playing for him again but I am at a loss to think of anyone .....too bad Bledsoe thinks he will be a starter somehere else next year, other than the Raiders I cannot see any team stupid enough to go that route

For Bledsoe I can respect that he does not want to become a backup just to get a pay check. I think if he finds no takers in the league who will give him a chance to start he will retire.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dwmyers;1369583 said:
Doug never struck me as being a Jason Garrett clone, and since we have the real thing, shouldn't we let him decide what kind of backup QB we need?

I'd rather we have a backup with the skills to win games, if need be. In that vein, if Bledslow wanted one more year here, I'd let him stay. If not, I'd wish Drew the best.

well I take it back. Johnson re-signed with the Bengals on Wed. Wonder why that didn't make big news?

maninabox

Reaction score
No way we should want Turnover Tommy. He is like 36 and hasnt taken a snap for over a year. He is horrible. Horrible. Tim Rattay has a weak arm and has done nothing in the NFL. He had a good quarter in relief last year and thats it.

We need to bring someone who can start and is a proven qb, not some 3rd stringer from TB or someone who cant even make a roster. Huard,Garcia, Plummmer, Carr,Green or reworking Bledsoe's contract are really the only options worth persuing.

If Romo gets hurt or doesnt pan out, there needs to be a top flight guy back there to come in. Also I think bringing in someone who can compete with Romo is a good idea. Even though he will be the starting QB, he shouldnt be given the keys without an open competition. I think this will make him work harder and take nothing for granted.

maninabox

Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;1369676 said:
Doug Johnson just signed a 1-year deal with CIN.

If the Raiders draft Quinn or Russell, maybe that means the end of one of Brooks or Walter in OAK. I wonder if they'd be willing to settle for a 2nd-day draft pick for Walter. He showed some flashes last year, and it'd be a bit of a coup if we were able to use a 2nd-day draft pick to land a guy who had a modicum of playing experience and could be good backup material rather than just using that draft pick on a rookie who'd end up merely being our 3rd-stringer. I guess I see Walter as having more upside than a guy like Rattay.

My guess is Brooks in done there. He actually would be a good fit here as a backup. I really like Walter, he had a difficult time last year, but he was a rook and look at his line and had his recievers giving up and had a guy calling plays who for the last 10 yrs was running a bed and breakfast. If we could get him that would be great. He has a big arm and reminds me of Bledsoe from 10 years ago.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
backup QB's play in this league. Is there a list of FA's?

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Damon Huard would be great, but he's gonna write his own contract and start wherever he goes. No one else that RFA or UFA right now really intrigues me.

The good news is Jason Garrett has been the QB coach minding the turnstile down in Miami the last 2 years. If Harrington, Culpepper and/or Frerotte become available, we've got a guy who has scouted them first hand.

The other thing I would say is even though Romo is in the Pro Bowl, you can still bring in a guy like Schaub or Cassel and make a competition out of it. Romo's never played for Phillips or Garrett before, so let him know he's fighting to avoid Drew Bledsoe's fate this year. Competition makes everybody better.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
CATCH17;1369493 said:
If Drew Hensons available I say bring him back.

He never got to show he couldnt play... He just wasnt better than Bledsoe or Romo.

I think we should bring him into training camp and see how he does and if he sucks then cut him but if the new coaching staff see's something then he could be a back up.

OMG no you didnt. :eek: