We need balance on offense, but the RB position is devalued!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If you haven't noticed, our offensive linemen are struggling to run block as effectively as they have in the past. Draft status does not equal performance. I attribute some of this to a change in run blocking scheme which has taken place in the new playbook, but also the fact that some of those #1 picks are beginning to age.

Run blocking is pretty much a direct predictor of your success on run downs in the NFL. Look at Saquon Barkley. You think he's struggling to get a yard because he is a below average NFL back?

Now, does Pollard appear to be a step slower than last year? Yeah, he does, but there have not exactly been huge lanes for him to run through. Dowdle isn't really isn't having significantly more success either.
So our Pro Bowl OL forgot how to block, and its killing our scrub RBs?

foofighters

Reaction score
You all have heard the comments about running backs not being as important or whatever due to the league being a passing league. But in reality, you need balance to an offense, and you can't pass it all game. Our running game has struggled this season. In the off season do we look for a guy that can be the main guy, or guys that can just come in by committee? So then I get to thinking about my opening comments, and if we get a RB who is doing well, would we even use him? RB's these days aren't even compensated in a way where one should feel like they should be a great runner. Why go out and get 1,000 yards, only to be devalued in contract talks

Yes you have guys that have gotten some decent deals/1 year deals, but then there goes that talk of the position not being important. What are we to do, what is the solution??
Man, do you get a headache when you think about things because you sure bounce all over the place. Do you constantly talk yourself out of positions?

The running game is not important until it needs to be. Maybe having 3 or 4 crucial runs per game is all that's needed but the pass game and especially the protection needs to be up to par.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You all have heard the comments about running backs not being as important or whatever due to the league being a passing league. But in reality, you need balance to an offense, and you can't pass it all game. Our running game has struggled this season. In the off season do we look for a guy that can be the main guy, or guys that can just come in by committee? So then I get to thinking about my opening comments, and if we get a RB who is doing well, would we even use him? RB's these days aren't even compensated in a way where one should feel like they should be a great runner. Why go out and get 1,000 yards, only to be devalued in contract talks

Yes you have guys that have gotten some decent deals/1 year deals, but then there goes that talk of the position not being important. What are we to do, what is the solution??
The main problem is the OL currently. Our RBs are being met in the backfield or at the line. We saw what Pollard can do the one time they sprung him to the second level last game…..but yes, I have no doubt we will draft a RB on day 2 next year.

shabazz

Reaction score
the RB position isn’t undervalued here……the player doing it is OVERvalued.

He was explosive as a #2 back and was a home run hitter…..now he just gets singles and an occasional double but there’s not a singe DC in this league that has to game plan for him.

Im not happy about it but it’s just a fact.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We do not have I repeat we do not have any 1300 yd backs on this team, are you kidding me? We have a pair of second and third team backs on this team, our OLine is yes, adjusting to a new blocking scheme, but they should have it down now at this point in the season, we just need a number 1 rb, that 1300 yd back that we don't currently have on this roster
Do you realize a 1300yd back needs 20 carries @ 3.5 ypc and we have 2 guys who could break that average easily
Not much ehh?

The problem we have is a antiquated blocking system that fared well against the standard 3-4 and 4-3 fronts. But times have changed your OL faces changing fronts with overloads all the time. zone is the way to block in today's NFL and then you need a coach who is a solid technical guy.
We haven't had one since Callahan.

conner01

Reaction score
If Rico fumbles in a key moment...it won't be undervalued then. It's CRIMINAL that Jerry talks "Super Bowl" without a stud at RB. You can't survive the post season without it. It's cold and dank and rainy in Winter football. If you go on the road, you need a running game.

Hey, if you don't believe in Dak, don't spend the money or draft capital. But if you do, that's too much pressure to put on Dak knowing he can't sling it 40x in a playoff game and win.
Who’s the stud RB on KC
You don’t need a stud, you make a good RB a stud with play calling and blocking

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Who’s the stud RB on KC
You don’t need a stud, you make a good RB a stud with play calling and blocking
My goodness, do even need to say it?

Patrick Mahomes is a MULTI-generational talent on the level of Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Tom Brady, etc...

I like Dak (as a person), but I don't love him as my QB. Still...even the folks that love him must admit... he ain't on that level. PATRICK MAHOMES IS MORE MOBILE, ACCURATE, AND CLUTCH THAN DAK WILL EVER BE. When you have that at QB, you are not required to have a top-notch runner. Most teams that don't have a run game, don't survive the postseason UNLESS they have THAT guy.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
We need to find another great RB, just like we always do, have had with our organization, Thomas, Dorsett, Smith, Elliot, we need that! That is a staple of or organization just like the great QBs, Wrs and TEs, DEs, DTs, CBs, that we have had, oh Olineman, can't forget that!
RB by committee is not our thing, but in McCarthy's offense it is, because his offense is pass first which is equivalent to that dynamic RB, we usually have.
But it may be a while before we get back to that because of McCarthy style of offense unless he changes up, or when Stephen takes over he may not go back to that either, Jerry likes having that RB/running game.
Here's what everyone that keeps spouting our running game, is not understanding, we have a running game it is doing what it is suppose to do, the only issue I will agree with those people that complain is that in the red zone we need that guy that can power the ball into the end zone, with what ever push our OL can give, or get a true fullback(because a TE, or using an Olineman as a fullback, or a big rb using him as a FB does not help), a true FB and Luepke is not one, a true FB has a middle LB mentality and he seeks out anyone that is in the hole and roots him out, see Moose highlights for reference.
But other than that with our offense our RBs will rarely get a 100 yds or more, they will average around 50/60 yds for the one with the most carries and the second guy will average around 35yds. but the both of them will also have receptions that will give them a 100 or over 100yds or close with those receptions. Plus if our WRs are killing the secondary our running game will het up and then we may have a 100 yard back that game, but when our rushing game gets at least 180yds we are having a good day running the ball. People are so use to us have that dynamic guy that back there behind our OLine that is always having 100yd games, that they think that our running game is non existent now, it is not, we just don't have that guy.
This. McCarthy never really respected the running back position. It's our TRADITION to have a top RB.

It's also our tradition to have a top QB. People focus on the fact that it's been 27 years since we won a SB. yeah, when's the last time we spent top draft capital on a QB? It ain't hard...

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
you never know, they may be fine with dak doing it, who knows
who knows is leaving it up to chance. I'd make my own luck and get Dak a running game. See 2016. See him in 2017 without Zeke. See him against SF when Pollard went down (or even before). Dak is a play-action QB who likes clean passing lanes. For that you need a run game.

As the marines say: "Crap in one hand and Wish in the other...see which one weighs more..."

kskboys

Reaction score
RBs are devalued as most team use a committee. most running backs are worth only their first rookie contract and drop off very quickly.
running game is still important unless you have a mahomes or brady..... also with all these running QBs coming out of college spread offenses, QBs are now a threat to run which adds to the running game.
No they don't.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with this, there's no way you can go all game passing, and not have some balance it's idiot talk
And gets your QB killed.

The teams who don't have a competent running game are desperately trying to get one.

quickccc

Reaction score
- They can talk " de-value" as much as they like, .. but can we truly say that we have did all and everything
possible and in our power to fully scheme and exploit our RBs ability & skill set in Both Run Game as well
as Pass Game ?

- We have a sorry pass scheme and approach with our RBs .. we never or extremely rarely run RB screens
(yes, even worse than Kellen Moore) when you see Pollard flanked outside like a WR, ..it's a laughable decoy
he' just out there waving his hands and free lancing- sometimes even running into the WR's route lanes.

- Rico had that nice screen play for a TD in the Cardinals game ... and that was it.
Coaches onlu use RBs in pass game for blitz- blocking or being decoys.
If our run game is broken, we should be able to use RBs in pass game to try to compensate.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think we'll continue giving a few power plays available to Dowdle and hope for the best, 'til the next draft provides a gem for us. It's far from a perfect solution, but Jerry & Stephen aren't exactly actively involved in such matters. I'd be somewhat surprised if they find anyone suitable.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
The main problem is the OL currently. Our RBs are being met in the backfield or at the line. We saw what Pollard can do the one time they sprung him to the second level last game…..but yes, I have no doubt we will draft a RB on day 2 next year.
We should have drafted one on day two this year we did not need another tight end and this discussion would not be necessary

Blackrain

Reaction score
We need a fresh power runner like Zeke was in his prime and Marion Barber before him.
A guy that can finish that can close out games for you.
That when you are on the freaking 6-yard line in your division rivals house with a chance to win the game you can hand the ball off with confidence and get a freaking touchdown.

So you aren't forced to be one-dimensional and jump off sides and get sacked you just hand the ball off for positive yards win the game.

But no we lose the game in the offseason because we're too stupid to draft a running back and continue to stockpile tight ends

DanA

Reaction score

The position is devalued but it's not unimportant. It just doesn't take a huge investment to fill the position and you want to avoid 2nd contracts. Drafting a guy in the 2nd to 5th round every 3-4 years would be ideal.