We need to look at Barwin and Simon

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So for the woe is me guys. Would you take Barwin or Simon over Jack Crawford?

dwreck27

Reaction score
Ive always had a disdain for him when we would play philly...

Fitting he might end up being one of our "key pieces" to getting over the hump

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Yes, Barwin was cut because he's garbage as a 4-3 end. He's a 3-4 strong side guy who is good at setting the edge and covering the flat. Think Anthony Spencer but a step and a 1/2 slower.

Simon I'm interested in. I think he can get after the QB as a situational pass rusher. He played with his hand in the dirt at Ohio State

Barwin is actually faster than Spencer. And not by just a little. 4.59 at combine (4.47 pro day) vs. 4.73 (4.69 pro day). Barwin's actually a better fit as a wide 9 because speed and athleticism is his thing. Good at setting edge too because unselfish nature. He only played one season in college as a pass rusher, so even after so many years in league he's still learning the position (former TE). Fast but not elite first step or as naturally bendy.

He is one of those hair on fire/try harder than anyone else guys who Marinelli loves, not to mention he's still got that chase down speed. Would sign him if not price is not steep.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Barwin is actually faster than Spencer. And not by just a little. 4.59 at combine (4.47 pro day) vs. 4.73 (4.69 pro day). Barwin's actually a better fit as a wide 9 because speed and athleticism is his thing. Good at setting edge too because unselfish nature. He only played one season in college as a pass rusher, so even after so many years in league he's still learning the position (former TE). Fast but not elite first step or as naturally bendy.

He is one of those hair on fire/try harder than anyone else guys who Marinelli loves, not to mention he's still got that chase down speed. Would sign him if not price is not steep.
Can't bring up combine numbers to that genius

tm1119

Reaction score

Have you actually watched Barwin play lately? I live 15 mins away from Philly and unfortunately get stuck with all of the eagles games on tv and listene to all of their sports talk radio...it's not my opinion, he's just not a fit. Youre saying he's a perfect fit in the wide 9, yet he's cut the 1st off season after a wide 9 coach took over for the eagles...and the eagles DE's stink aside from Graham. Barwin even puplicly said he'd take a pay cut to stay in Philly...didn't happen.

But don't take my word for it.... https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www....-the-worst-edge-rushers-in-nfl-last-year/amp/

tm1119

Reaction score
Can't bring up combine numbers to that genius

That's because people who actually understand football don't look at combine numbers and think they automatically translate to the football field. Just common football sense you can't get your little brain around. Still butt hurt because I called you out for comparing Daeshon Hall to JPP tho? Funny stuff man.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This would have been a good trade for the Cowboys:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792132/article/rams-agree-to-trade-william-hayes-to-dolphins

The Los Angeles Rams are sending defensive end William Hayes to the Miami Dolphins.

In a trade announced late Thursday night, Los Angeles said the Dolphins have agreed to send their sixth-round pick (No. 206) in exchange for Hayes and the Rams' seventh-round pick (No. 223).
---
Wait, that means the Dolphins absorbed his $5M contract. Well, as we all know, we can do whatever we want in free agency.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Simon due to age.
He is one of the few young rushers left. I doubt we even bother. Probably look at the fact he's 6-1 and say "too short". Barwin "too old". Both are better fits in 3-man lines as an off the line player.

Just keep digging through the rosters and find some obscure restricted free agent somewhere who had two sacks in a preseason. That is probably our speed.

tm1119

Reaction score
He is one of the few young rushers left. I doubt we even bother. Probably look at the fact he's 6-1 and say "too short". Barwin "too old". Both are better fits in 3-man lines as an off the line player.

Just keep digging through the rosters and find some obscure restricted free agent somewhere who had two sacks in a preseason. That is probably our speed.

Jacquise Smith is the guy I'm alreay calling. Restricted free agent and even coming off a major knee injury. Checks a lot of boxes for the Cowboys

John813

Reaction score
That's not a bad deal.

Assume the Colts are in a 3-4?
Can't recall.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Have you actually watched Barwin play lately? I live 15 mins away from Philly and unfortunately get stuck with all of the eagles games on tv and listene to all of their sports talk radio...it's not my opinion, he's just not a fit. Youre saying he's a perfect fit in the wide 9, yet he's cut the 1st off season after a wide 9 coach took over for the eagles...and the eagles DE's stink aside from Graham. Barwin even puplicly said he'd take a pay cut to stay in Philly...didn't happen.

But don't take my word for it.... https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www....-the-worst-edge-rushers-in-nfl-last-year/amp/

That was Barwin's first experience in wide 9 and he was thinking way too much for one. And 2, Schwartz doesn't run a true wide 9, his 9's play their gaps tighter with more run and stunt reponsibilities, also uses other schemes as well.

Washburn was completely married to concepts of wide 9 and was one reason Eags led league in sacks in 2011-2012.

Plus Barwin is 30 and likely slowing down physically as well.